GameSalad

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited February 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Recently, we debuted two powerful new features with the launch of GameSalad Creator 0.9.90: Tables and iOS In-App Purchase. Today, GameSalad introduces Creator 0.9.91, which brings to you our first two monetization partners: Kiip and PlayHaven. In addition to these new revenue channels, GameSalad 0.9.91 also removes the GameSalad Splash Screen for Basic members.

Games published under Basic accounts will now include an interstitial game referral screen instead of the GameSalad splash screen. The game referral screen will appear between the developer's custom splash screen and the initial scene for the game or application. This referral screen will be included in all games published under Basic accounts going forward. Initially, we will refer games from 3rd party networks like PlayHaven, but over time, we intend to use the GameSalad referral network to bring additional distribution opportunities to GameSalad developers. We’ll have more to share on this in the near future.

We understand you've probably got a lot of questions about PlayHaven and Kiip, and we've got a lot more info to share.

PlayHaven:

PlayHaven is an optional monetization feature for our Professional developers that displays a pre-game referral screen encouraging users to download other games from within the PlayHaven network. PlayHaven referral screens appear pre-game, but post splash screen. So, for games in which PlayHaven is enabled, players will see the developer's custom splash screen, followed by a PlayHaven game referral ad. Players may choose to ignore the ad and continue with the game, or click the ad in order to install the referred app.

Professional GameSalad developers will receive Playhaven’s standard revenue share of 50% of gross revenue on all ads redeemed. To be clear, GameSalad does NOT take any portion of the revenue that you would have otherwise received under a standard developer relationship.

Playhaven also works on a cost-per-install model, which means you get paid when a player installs and launches an app from the referral screen. CPI networks tend to have higher payouts when compared to CPM and CPC models.

For more detailed information on PlayHaven, please take a look at our GameSalad Cookbook documentation on PlayHaven, located here.

In addition to PlayHaven, GameSalad is also introducing Kiip for Professional users.

Kiip:

Kiip is an achievement based reward system that provides rewards for your players from top-tier consumer brands like Pepsi, Carl's Jr., Amazon, Best Buy and more, while generating an incremental revenue stream for your game. For instance, when a player unlocks an achievement in your game, Kiip can reward them with a burger from Carl's Jr., or a gift card from Best Buy, good for use online or in store. Kiip works closely with agencies and brands to curate inventory of these rewards while ensuring the best user experience.

In an effort to help empower you to unlock retention and engagement benefits in your game, Kiip enables you to identify which achievements can be "rewardable". When you set up Kiip Achievements for your game, you have up to 1000 points to attribute to various achievements (similar in style to XBox Live Achievement Points). Individual achievements can vary from 20 to 100 points. Achievements with larger point values allows Kiip to determine the importance of that moment and provide the most appropriate reward.

Kiip splits net revenue with developers 50-50 on a payout per reward redeemed. As a result, higher redemption rates that result from meaningful achievements and "moments" that are identified help increase your game's integration potential. GameSalad developers will receive the standard 50% rev share from Kiip-enabled games. To reiterate, GameSalad does not take any portion of the developer rev share.

Kiip works on both iOS and Android platforms, but rewards are currently restricted to within North American markets. For more details on Kiip technology and best practices, please take advantage of these excellent documentation sources, put together collaboratively by the Kiip and GameSalad Cookbook teams: GameSalad 0.9.91 is a very exciting build with lots of benefits for both Basic and Professional users. We've also got a lot more coming, as our development team pushes to complete the other projects outlined by Steve in his December letter, including the major performance upgrade of our engine, Game Center Achievements, and Read/Write Tables.

For now, enjoy GameSalad Creator 0.9.91 and continue doing what you do best - making incredible games!

Where Do I Go Now?

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the new version guys! Looks like a lot of new features.

Since it wasn't mentioned, am I to assume there's been no update to Android performance? The Sound Delay and Sticky Buttons is significantly hurting builds for the Fire and Nook.
  • Fodder76Fodder76 Posts: 154Member
    I'm wondering the same thing. Are there release notes for this release?
  • POMPOM Posts: 2,602Member
    edited February 2012
    Congratz on the new release guys ..

---------------------------------------------------
    The release notes :

Kiip, Available only in North America (Pro Feature)
    #Real world rewards for virtual achievements
    Playhaven, Worldwide [Localized to nearby app stores]
    #Provides interstitial app referrals
    #Option to turn app referrals off (Pro)
    #Revenue share for completed referrals (Pro)

Fixes :
    Users can now insert a custom splash screen into their game!
    Clear resolution on submitted Mac App store Icons
    ---------------------------------------------------

Roy.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Release notes are located in the "Release notes" category for future reference. :)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    Can someone explain me this: #Option to turn app referrals off (Pro)?

I don't quite get it.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited February 2012
    The Playhaven ad will appear after the custom splash screen for Basic users. It's an optional monetization feature for Pro in that they are able to enable it if they choose to utilize it.

@SSS,
    Thank you for explaining me this. Wow, now I'm even more happy that I won TOTB4, and will have Pro :)
    The Release notes weren't in there when I checked before! :) Nicely done.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 8,979Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    @SSS Do we know if the sound delay has been fixed? This is what I am waiting on. Looks good guys, can't wait to implement this into my new game.
    The initial fixes for the sound delay went out with 0.9.90, @Braydon_SFX - I'll have to circle up with QA to see about the status of other fixes.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited February 2012
    @SSS It's nice to see new feature implemented regularly (even though the one I want are never among those :) ), however it would be nice if for once you would concentrate on fixing the bugs on the creator. I think it's incredible that the Display Text behavior is still like it is now, also the OpenURL behavior still needs to be fixed and the sound delay on Android is still an issue.

I will wait for future updates that will fix them and hopefully we will see more useful new features (like Achievements, Universal builds and writeable tables) and not other monetization options.
    There are a few sound related fixes that I've been waiting on, both Android and the iOS version. None seem to have been touched in this version. Happy to see a new version, but disappointed there are zero bug fixes or performance optimizations.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 8,979Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited February 2012
    @SSS - Yes, that helped. Although, there is still a good half a second delay with 0.9.90. Im trying it again with the new release.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    edited February 2012
    Yes they're removing the splash for basic!
    Edit:
    Less delighted!!!!!!! App referral page?, I don't like that!, I would prefer a splash screen... I would be prouder to refer attention to the game salad creator rather then other users games... @saladstraghtshooter Can we have a choice between the two...
    @LeonardDeveloper, but changing it to ads of other games.
  • morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Posts: 449Member, PRO
    i think your wrong, they took off the game salad splash screen for non pro but added the referral screen from play haven on to EVERY non pro game published. so they get the money from play haven from referrals if your non pro, but you get the money if you are pro, or if pro you can just switch it off.
    I don't like this at all!!!
    edited February 2012
    Edit: Im edgy with this idea...
  • hotMagichotMagic Posts: 266Member, PRO
    Sounds fair to me. Either you make them money OR you pay them a little bit per year and make your own money. As long as Gamesalad lets pro users make apps that belong to the creator and keep their revenue, I'm staying on board. Pros need to make money and have their own identity, and it's allowing for that. Good job.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Posts: 8,188Member
    edited February 2012
    @leonard

I'm sure you can keep the old version of GS you have and still publish with that, with just the GS Splash screen?

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: http://www.quantum-sheep.com

edited February 2012
    @morphinegamingmachine, @hotMagic you are 100% right. As an economist, I can completely understand GS team, and this decision. Since GS is free to use, they don't make money from those users, and they decided to change it.
    i doubt it, cause the publishing side of things is problem already changed for these implementations. i don't think the tool side will change it
  • CloudsClouds Posts: 1,599Member
    edited February 2012
    I'll leave this one at least a few weeks until all is safe as 9.90 works pretty well for me (except for the known bugs).
    basically they are using us like we use our games

make a free app that gets 100 times the downloads then it would when its paid, and slap adds on it, thats how u get your revenue

and they owe more to the pro users then the free users... at least right now
    soon they might make more from free users then pro users lol
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Posts: 1,162Member
    $500 is a lot compared to other SDK's. I would love to renew at the $100 deal previously (or 150) but 500...eek.
    Lets try to keep things civil here guys, we're all on the same team.
    Oh and didn't see a mention of the Black Bars of Death fix on the sides of the game for Mac App publishing...Maybe it will magically be fixed now tho..hmm I gotta try.
    i just meant they owe more to the people making them money, apple doesn't give support to dell users do they? :P
  • dre38wdre38w Posts: 79Member
    Kiip? That's nice and all but what needs to be done is not features from the outside. What needs to be done is work on the features of the engine itself. Don't think of Gamesalad as a mobile game engine. Think of it as a game engine in general and work on it that way. These little extra features I think are just pointless compared to what the engine really needs. Just TWO features will make Gamesalad SO much better and we'll be able to do SO much more with it. Polygon collisions and moveable or addible origin points. Those two features that Gamesalad lacks has caused me to drop several projects and even caused me to move on to a different game engine. I'd give up features like Kiip, iAds, Game Center and even in app purchasing just to be able to make better and more interesting gameplay.
    edited February 2012
    @Dre38w I couldn't agree with you more on all points. Those features are coming soon though but yeah I'd rather see that first.
This discussion has been closed.