GameSalad

Important Update: Snow Leopard Support

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited August 2012 in News from the Dev Team
In keeping with Apple's requirements, after our next official release we will no longer support Snow Leopard or older OS's. This also means that all 32 bit support will be dropped, and users must utilize a 64 bit processor going forward. As this is Apple mandated, we hope that you understand the necessity behind this change, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Additionally, an important note regarding Mountain Lion, as previously stated: For reference, GameSalad is compliant with Gatekeeper at the default settings. There is also one item that folks may encounter with Mountain Lion which is that Mac Standalone apps will now need to be signed with the Developer ID of the individual. This is something that is being currently discussed including in the Mac Creator, but until then I've included the instructions below on how to sign with your own Developer ID: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Security/Conceptual/CodeSigningGuide/Procedures/Procedures.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005929-CH4-SW2

Cheers,
The GameSalad Community Team

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,513Member, PRO
    So we can't use Gamesalad at all if we are on Snow Leopard, right? What if we don't update to the next release when you guys release it? Can we still continue developing with Version 0.9.94, and publish apps. Don't worry, I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro, so I'm not concerned that my machine can't support above Snow Leopard.

Thanks
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlPosts: 1,375Member
    Chakku said:

So we can't use Gamesalad at all if we are on Snow Leopard, right? What if we don't update to the next release when you guys release it? Can we still continue developing with Version 0.9.94, and publish apps. Don't worry, I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro, so I'm not concerned that my machine can't support above Snow Leopard.

Thanks

im wondering that too. Im on a 2010 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion. just wondering for users that arent.
    BTW, GameSalad works GREAT on Mountain Lion (10.8)

• WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Posts: 91Member, PRO
    Had a feeling this was coming sooner or later - time to start saving for an upgrade :)
  • NmdogdudeNmdogdude Posts: 174Member
    Does this affect the earliest versions of OS snow leopard or all of them?
  • ValanValan Posts: 395Member, PRO
    It may not be just GS Creator.
    It will probably be Xcode and App Loader. So even if people do not upgrade, Apple will no longer accept old Xcode or old App loader apps. Soon, Snow Leopard anything will not be accepted by Apple.

• yasoofxyasoofx Posts: 333Member
    When is windows going to be updated
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 751Member, PRO
    edited August 2012
    Wow i use snow leo, but if i want to use the creator in the next version i will be forced to go on mountain lion.
    Anyway i think to buy a new computer, but how to install the certificates from one old machine to another? there is a particular procedure?
    or I can do the update from snow leo to mountain lion?
    Thanks.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @yasoofx - your original comment was removed from this topic because this isn't the place to ask - there are existing threads regarding the Window's version. Please don't ask that again in this thread.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Posts: 6,577Member, Sous Chef, PRO

@pinkio75

Hi, if it helps, you will be able to update from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, but you can also update to the one before – Lion – as that is still supported (and at a guess, will be for quite a while).

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited August 2012
    Nmdogdude said:

Does this affect the earliest versions of OS snow leopard or all of them?

All versions.

edited August 2012
    To clarify:

Most Macs purchased within the last six years should be 64 bit - or more specifically, any computer utilizing the Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better. You should be able to easily upgrade to Mountain Lion for a reasonable price - with a deep discount for certain developers. (You'll need to investigate these options on your own, however.)

Creator will no longer run on Snow leopard after this point and Apple will effectively cut off or severely limit apps made to run on Snow Leopard.

• marcgreiffmarcgreiff Posts: 243Member
    edited August 2012
    Hey, some important info for those upgrading to Mountain Lion on Mac Mini's (2009 and onward)

Your 2009 Mac Mini CAN support Mountain Lion provided that it has an Intel Core 2 Duo or better processor. Additionally, Mountain Lion requires at least 4gb or ram to install and operate. Your 2009 Mac Mini most likely has 2gb of ram, but this can be upgraded to a max of 8gb of ram (4gb of ram if you dont install the firmware update, search google for a better explanation).

Best place to buy ram on the cheap?

Crucial Memory
    http://www.crucial.com/mac/
  • FloridaGamesFloridaGames Posts: 328Member
    edited August 2012
    Is mac os x 10.7(Lion) supported by apple?
    Also, are you telling us apple will stop supporting snow leopard or that that have already stopped. If so, when?
    @FloridaGames - Will stop supporting. Apple's typical schedule is to drop support for OS's two version behind the current. So technically Apple has dropped support for Snow Leopard when Mountain Lion released.

Lion is still supported if it's 64bit.

For more specific information you'll have to inquire with Apple - we're merely a ship on the waves of their sea. ;)

• arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Posts: 159Member
    I hate being forced to upgrade my OS. stupid. it works completely fine and i dont use my mac just for apple stuff. audio, code, design etc - many things that dont work in mountain lion and some even still in lion..hence why im happy with somethign that works. if it isnt broken - stay as you are....

i suppose ill have to buy another machine just to keep up with apple dev stuff then.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

I hate being forced to upgrade my OS. stupid. it works completely fine and i dont use my mac just for apple stuff. audio, code, design etc - many things that dont work in mountain lion and some even still in lion..hence why im happy with somethign that works. if it isnt broken - stay as you are....

i suppose ill have to buy another machine just to keep up with apple dev stuff then.

Me to. my snow leopard works great. don't have any reason to update until now of course. though I have a feeling its going to be a while before I actually do it. i'll just run on an older GS for a while I guess

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Posts: 1,272Member
    I figured this was coming. I never upgraded to Lion but all I see in the App Store is Mountain Lion. I use an older Mac and even though it has Intel Core 2 Duo processor, It won't support Mountain Lion. Maybe time for a new Mac.:-)
  • TesseractEngineTesseractEngine Posts: 180Member
    Well...I bit the bullet and installed Mountain Lion today, despite dreading how it might affect the Adobe suite. Early days, but I'm immensely relieved and pleased to report that Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign CS5 are all working as expected.

Mountain Lion itself seems quite nice, too.

Quire Graphics - Graphics for Games

• LumpAppsLumpApps Posts: 2,852Member
    I completely agree but that is how the it works. Its hard because in crisis times like this a new mac is a huge investment. What can you do? In the end I'll end up with a better mac and will be having a lot more fun despite the fact that my bank account does not agree ;)
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Posts: 334Member
    @SSS

Any update on a Mac App submission fix?

Thanks!
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Posts: 674Member, PRO
    edited August 2012
    I have an older macbook pro 2.33GHz, Radeon x1600 ( I think 2006 model). Works great... don't want a new one right now. Mountain Lion isn't compatible, but I am fine with upgrading to Lion if that will work w/ it. It seems they have taken it off the mac app store. How can I still upgrade to Lion from Snow leopard?
    @eezing - I assume you mean with sandboxing? Yes - that will be fixed in the upcoming release tentatively due early next week, assuming our chefs don't find anything that needs additional work.

@crazybreadman Finding Lion seems to be a problem, Ebay seems to be the only place that has it. I can understand Apple removing it from the App Store so they don't confuse customers but they don't offer it anywhere at all, odd.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Posts: 1,710Member, PRO
    So the next release will support Snow Leopard but not after that correct?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Posts: 3,203Member
    @BBEnk: The upcoming release will NOT support Snow Leopard.
    Well I bought a new MacBook Pro today, so I am happy about that. I would like to upgrade my older Mac to Lion but I can't find the USB Lion release anywhere. A local Apple store told me Apple had all the stores send them back a while go.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Posts: 3,190Member
    besides SL, is GS going to support MT lion officially? I know it works but I am not sure if it is the same as is in lion
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,890Member
    Upgrading to a new iMac when the new line comes out this fall. Plus I currently have a game in progress so I never upgrade GS with a game in development. What do we have to look forward to in the next update of GS?
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 751Member, PRO
    Hi,
    I will buy a used machine with Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
    It's totally support by new version of GS?
  • NmdogdudeNmdogdude Posts: 174Member
    Will OS Lion still be supported?
This discussion has been closed.