GameSalad

Update: GameSalad Version number changes

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited August 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello All,

Beginning with the upcoming release, GameSalad will be adjusting the version numbers associated with our releases. In the future, when we version tools, we will follow this versioning policy:

XX.YY.ZZ

Prior to this change, the last release was 0.9.94. With this change, the upcoming release will be now be named 0.10.00.

This changes' intent is to bring both Mac and Windows creators into closer alignment. For example, you will be able to tell when tools are compatible if the middle number is the same. Most important, however, is that this change does not alter the timeline to "GameSalad 1.0" in any way.

This merely allows for a more organized release schedule, and a better differentiation of hot fixes vs. large scale release. Using the above XX.YY.ZZ example, we will increment YY for a major Creator update; on a minor build – or hotfix - we will increment ZZ. Creators with matching YY numbers will always be compatible with one another. And, of course, any tool can open projects created by an earlier version of Creator.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Cheers!

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Posts: 159Member
    is this because 1.0 is even further away than initially planned ?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

So did you not read the big bold part about this having nothing to do with delaying 1.0?

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

tenrdrmer said:

So did you not read the big bold part about this having nothing to do with delaying 1.0?
    i did yes - however my question was rhetorical ;-)
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    Nope @arcticsunrise. I can confirm this has NOTHING to do with potentially delaying a 1.0 release.

The version number changing is to help us internally organize our release schedules between our two platforms (Mac & Windows Creator) and give the community a better differentiation between hot fixes v large scale releases.
  • yasoofxyasoofx Posts: 333Member
    so is this going to change the software or just number

Nope @arcticsunrise. I can confirm this has NOTHING to do with potentially delaying a 1.0 release.

Fab. Pleased to hear it. If you still want that interview just drop me an email

• PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    edited August 2012

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Cheers!

How's Stencyl heading to 3.0 — and Firefox is in double-digits — but GameSalad is still stuck in beta? It kinda messes up the rewrite of my textbook. I was planning a major rewrite for 1.0 launch, but it never appears.

Is there going to be something special about 1.0 that isn't out already?

...and what happened to HTML5 publishing? I haven't seen improvements in a long while. Is there ever going to be professional exporting? Is GameSalad going to remain a sandbox, or will things like communicating with a web server be possible?

Example: Where's the expression editor for OpenURL?

GameSalad, I like your software. I really do. Also, I think this community is one of the best on the web. Yet, I struggle to find a future with GameSalad in it. How long are you going to drag along the community with a carrot stick?
  • uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,593Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    @Photics I think the major overhaul of removing Lua is slowing things down. I predict things will move a lot faster with Lua out.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited August 2012
    What would a delay to version 1.0 even mean? I didn't know there was a firm date as to when it would even surface, or for that matter, what features were planned to be included.

At the beginning of the year address the native code change over was coming 'soon', and it honestly still seems just as far away. So as far as GS reaching anything resembling a 1.0 build, I fail to see the significance.

What does reaching 1.0 even mean? Are all the bugs finally going to be fixed? Is the tool going to stop having memory leaks? and will publishing for all platforms work again?

As it stands currently, we are so far from parity I also fail to see a future with GS.

Though I have little basis for this, my assessment of the situation is that when the investors came in with their money they also said you have to staff for everything, and bam! you have around 30-50 people hired.

My opinion is that they should have only hired tech people whose sole job was to work on the tool. The way GS is operating now they simply have way too much overhead.

While things like a pretty website is nice for selling your tool, it's not as nice as having a full featured product that works without flaw, and if bugs arise there's a means for them to be fixed pronto. Customer service will always win out over shiny objects.

That's not a dig at any of the moderators, just a simple fact of the matter that when a major problem arises, and it takes over a month to simply get an answer that a fix is still over a month away, you seriously wreck people's lives.

I'm not trying to say GS is bad, because it's not. It's great that there are people creating these types of tools so that those of us without programming knowledge can still put software together. I'm grateful for all of the team's hard work, and I'm sure things will only get better. However over the last six months things have not been good. Publishing for Android, last year's big selling feature, has been broken more than it hasn't, and the outputted performance for anything other than a menu based game is abismal.

All that said, what I've come to learn in my indie career is this. If you're ever left hoping that something is going to happen, you're already defeated.
  • shark1505shark1505 Posts: 75Member
    +1 @uptimistik because LUA only puts out so many updates for its own engine and GS has taken advantage of many of them. LUA isn't even close to native code when talking about its capabilities however it has taken the GS team since at least April to figure out this native code stuff.
  • uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,593Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited August 2012
    @RaceToTheMoon I can assure you your assessment is completely wrong. Team GS are working really hard and fast to provide us with a code-free experience.

Do I think there is room for improvement? Of course, I too would like to see things move even faster ;) , but they are really doing a lot and focusing their efforts on removing Lua, which basically involves re-writing the entire engine...

And your point on android publishing, hold on to your hat, we're getting those issues sorted out.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    @uptimistik I didn't say they weren't working hard. In fact I said I was grateful for all their hard work. Please re-read my second last paragraph.

As for 'hanging on to my hat' with Android development. Can I write that on checks so I can pay my bills? Can I get transported back in time so I wouldn't have my girlfriend's faith completely destroyed in me for sticking with a tool that's held back a number of my releases and caused us countless hardships?

My point about needing more engineers on the actual development of the tool is once again this. I don't want to hold on to anything, when there's a problem, there should be an equally fast fix. Otherwise, those using the tool are left without the reason they purchased the professional tool.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited August 2012
    @Photics - iStencyl is also feeling the growing pains pretty heavily. And boasts a dev community of maybe a few hundred... whereas GameSalad has a developer base many times that. They are able to iterate so quickly because they have a very thin skeleton to build on. I personally wonder how much more weight that skeleton can handle.

Comparing one company's development plans to another is akin to comparing one mans horse to another. Each man will always insist their horse is better or will win the race.

I can't speak much to the unrelated feedback (unrelated to the version number change, that is) - it's valuable, but there isn't a lot I can add to it or detract from it... however, as it seems to be getting lost...

Again...This is not a delay. This is not resetting the clock. Read my initial post, please.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• shark1505shark1505 Posts: 75Member
    Has anyone here ever play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2? Infinity Ward and Activision, billion dollar firms, took weeks to months to patch their game when problems arose. I believe in GS because they know what must be done however I can see where developers are coming from with their frustrations.

Here are some examples:
    Custom fonts: In XCode, you just have to import the font. GS has hid behind their "easy to use drag and drop interface" mask for too long. As the mobile application community is getting more and more complicated, there's no way that GS can stay simple forever. Let us import fonts even if it isn't simply drag and drop.

Memory usage: It was April when GS said the Lua free engine was in Alpha, now it's August with little to show. I'm thinking that GS revealed the engine a little too soon as now many people have postponed releases thinking the new engine was coming out "soon". However, I appreciate that the new engine is being worked on as it will be easier to pump out updates in native code.

Multiplayer: With social media taking over, it is time that GS figures out a way to make our games multiplayer. I know that every game will benefit with properly implemented multiplayer. GS could probably even raise their Pro price back up to $500 with multiplayer support or at least make three tiers of membership.

Just my thoughts as I love the software and tables have been a big improvement but it seems like since the release of tables, advances to the software have halted.
  • yasoofxyasoofx Posts: 333Member
    @Photics - iStencyl is also feeling the growing pains pretty heavily. And boasts a dev community of maybe a few hundred... whereas GameSalad has a developer base many times that. They are able to iterate so quickly because they have a very thin skeleton to build on. I personally wonder how much more weight that skeleton can handle.

Comparing one company's development plans to another is akin to comparing one mans horse to another. Each man will always insist their horse is better or will win the race.

I can't speak much to the unrelated feedback (unrelated to the version number change, that is) - it's valuable, but there isn't a lot I can add to it or detract from it... however, as it seems to be getting lost...

Again...This is not a delay. This is not resetting the clock. Read my initial post, please.

does 1.0 have some software update?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited August 2012
    @yasoofx - more of a state of completion or goal line, in a sense. That's not to say 1.0 won't also introduce new functionality, however.

The way GameSalad regards the beta to 1.0 lifecycle isn't necessarily how the traditional software lifecycle is laid out or defined. As I've said previously, there isn't anything wrong with this - the nature of "Beta" is changing. We see it as our timeline to create a powerful piece of software and continue to build on it until we feel it's reached the level of completion we've set via our roadmap to make 1.0 a powerful representation of what GameSalad set out to do when it opened its doors.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    Could I get some cheese with that whine? Everybody has an agenda of what they think needs to be done or what features they think are needed ASAP or that there is some grand conspiracy behind every release. Too bad. It takes as long as it takes for GS to get things done and I'm thankful there is software I can use NOW instead of learning Code.

No it doesn't have every bell and whistle and I don't think its ever going to please every person. Ever. But I'm be grateful for what I have paid for in GS and have no illusions that it could all go south tomorrow - thats life in the software world.

Anyone who thinks GS is doing nothing or not doing it fast enough needs to go out and build their own game creation engine. It's easy to be a critic but when push come to shove - you're not being forced to use it and if you paid for it and are unhappy consider it a lesson learned in unrealistic expectations in a beta product. Move on or learn the virtue of patience.

Many are doing quite well with what GS offers currently and many of us are looking forward to what the future holds in GS. Will I look at other tools to create with? Sure always will. Will I pounce on GS with every release on what I think THEY should be doing? Nope. Why waste my time? Why waste yours? They are passionate people building a great tool for non coders - thats all I want. Now back to creating...

My 2 cents

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

edited August 2012

@Photics - iStencyl is also feeling the growing pains pretty heavily.

Well, from my perspective, the both of you both have the same problem... how to support multiple platforms? The solution also seems to be the same... both are in a major overhaul of the software. It looks like a change of programming language. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with Stencyl, but I've read some rumbling about new engine.

As for the size of the dev community, both of your forums member IDs seems to be in the 80K range. It was a quick glance of numbers, but it looks close.

It looks like a pretty even fight so far to me, but supposedly the major redo of Stencyl... version 3.0... is arriving in Q3. That's less than two months away. So, that makes me wonder about GameSalad? Is dropping Lua really that important? Corona uses Lua and it seems to be fine.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Stencyl is slowing down. I'm not sure which software will ultimately be better for my development requirements. Yet, when I see threads like this, it just reminds me of all the waiting from before. What is the 1.0 timeline? Is there an anticipated release date? Are there any major changes? What new features will 1.0 bring? What's the difference between 1.0 and what the community has now?

Without discussion about specifics, this thread is just semantics. What does it really matter if the next version is 0.10 or 0.9.8... or even 1.0?
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    edited August 2012
    @Photics-

As always, I think that you bring interesting commentary to the forums and raise some notable points.

And I agree with you, the thread is just about semantics. We are simply changing the version numbering for internal organization reasons and to better communicate the difference between major releases v. hot fixes with our community of 300,000 plus developers. Like you said, there really is no difference in significance whether releases are called 0.10 or 0.9.8.

While we always appreciate the feedback of the community- especially in regard to feature requests, this thread is just about version numbers. Our aim from the beginning was to not confuse this message with a larger conversation about the nature of GameSalad 1.0. Perhaps another thread needs to be started about that? I will leave that up to you guys in the community with how and if you would like to move that conversation forward.

Nice!
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member
    1.0 brings press and a foundation to do a marketing push with. It will really mean more to GS as a company than it does the current community since we're already going along for the ride.

I would like to say I'm incredibly excited and hopeful about this next release. My latest project that I've put well over 2000 hours into will (if no major bugs arrive with the new GS build) finally be able to be released for a closed beta.

I look forward to a solid new build release and appreciate the hard work that has been going into it. I'm also interested to see what this new web publishing format will be like.

Exciting stuff!

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

• dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Posts: 620Member
    @SaladStraightShooter
    When GameSalad goes out of beta, will it be Lua-Free?
    @Mr.Rinoy - I think it's fair to say that will certainly be the case - though that's not to say the Native code engine won't be introduced prior to that, just to be clear.

• zarkominiczarkominic Posts: 10PRO
    edited August 2012
    Great! I think that it's a big step. Let's wait now for the native code engine. I have an idea, maybe it's not the right place, but I would like to know how possible is to have a third party plug-in for Nextpeer Multiplayer platform, the guys from NextPeer can help, I have talked to the CEO.

It's a great multiplayer platform and GameSalad is missing that feature, and for Nextpeer it will be a developer platform to grow.

:)
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Posts: 807Member
    @SaladStraightShooter
    could i ask what version are you now coming out of beta,because it cant be 1.0 anymore
    thanks
    edited August 2012
    @gamedivision - 1.0 is still the proper version number for exit out of beta - the versioning we use here has less to do with the release version than just making things more structured and easier to work with for everyone.

XX.YY.ZZ - the X being the 1.0, if applied to the initial example.

@LeonardDeveloper - Good to see you, Jack! ;)

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Glad to get some welcoming back MR.S :)
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,769Member
    I am not interested in version method. All I want to know that 0.10.00 is coming with Lua FREE or not?
This discussion has been closed.