GameSalad

Introducing iOS Universal Binaries

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,084Member, Chef Emeritus
Hello everyone,

Today we are pleased to announce the release of Universal Binaries for iOS!

This much-anticipated feature can effectively streamline your publishing flow by allowing you to focus your efforts on a single target for the App store, rather than the multi-target approach that was previously necessary to cover all devices. Universal Binaries were the second highest requested feature prior to the release of the roadmap, and our first official deliverable of many for 2013!

As part of this rollout, a new publishing target is available for you to utilize. As always, following best practices applies here, particularly for Overscanning. Those choices remain entirely in your hands to control and manage in your design process. (We do recommend utilizing the iPad resolution in many cases, however)

You will need to update your store entries with the new binaries by either updating both targets or updating one or the other. We are unable to offer advice on merging your store entries or how to handle removing one or another in regards to associated reviews or other data.

We hope you'll find this new feature useful, and look forward to bringing you even more for 2013!

Cheers,
The GameSalad Team
·

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Dallas, TexasPosts: 7,611Member, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick
    Sweet! Thanks guys! Amazing!
    ·
  • patapplepatapple Posts: 873Member
    FINALLLLLYYYY! When is this update?
    ·
    @patapple - It's a new feature you can use while publishing. You won't have to update Creator.
    ·
  • patapplepatapple Posts: 873Member
    edited January 2013
    I <3 you @Braydon_SFX ahah
    ·
  • EbreezeEbreeze Posts: 481Member, PRO
    Great success ! ( borat voice )
    ·
    edited January 2013
    Oh my goodness it works great! ^:)^ (Adhoc build)

Thank you for taking your time and making sure it was SO easy for us to use! Awesome job guys!

·
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,372Member, PRO
    Looking forward to trying this! Cheers guys
    ·
  • markj287markj287 Posts: 6Member
    This is the best news i heard all year so far! :D
    ·
  • ahodge0821ahodge0821 Posts: 10Member
    So what would be the best way to utilize this new feature? Start with the retina iPad specs and then publish that version? Will the images take up too much memory for iPhone 4, 4s, and 5?
    ·
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Posts: 1,095Member
    Awesome! This is great news! I can't wait to try it out!!!! Good job GS team!

~Josh
    ·
  • hunter.shunter.s Posts: 25Member
    Thank you so much!! I am going to do a Adhoc build really soon!! Thanks again!
    ·
  • GGSGGS Posts: 51Member
    if i pick universal with my ipad game n click overscan will it show fine on iPhone? or will it also crop off parts of the game?
    ·
    GGS- Is your game iPhone 5 ready?
    ·
    If it is iPhone 5 ready then it will just cut the edges like it normally does.
    ·
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,171Member
    edited January 2013

We hope you'll find this new feature useful, and look forward to bringing you even more for 2013!

WOW! That's great news!

This was on my list of issues of GameSalad. There's really only two left... communicating with web servers and proper HTML5 exporting. (Custom sizes and exporting to my own server... not just to GameSalad.com.)

With the return of forum signatures, I was wondering if I should renew my subscription. This is huge development. I might even return to iOS publishing again.

WOW!
    ·
  • GGSGGS Posts: 51Member
    well when i overscan it cuts to much off. if i just make the stage a bigger width and height same width n height oh a iphone 5. will that work? it will just make the iphone 5 bg image bigger but keeps the actors in the same spot? the ipad version is just a big version of the game. i didnt add any code in the acotrs about moving around if its iphone 5. i tried that for iphone version but it went all weird when played on iphone 5 but seemed fine on iphone 4.
    ·
    Photics said:

WOW! That's great news!

This was on my list of issues of GameSalad. There's really only two left... communicating with web servers and proper HTML5 exporting. (Custom sizes and exporting to my own server... not just to GameSalad.com.)

With the return of forum signatures, I was wondering if I should renew my subscription. This is huge development. I might even return to iOS publishing again.

WOW!

We need ya back, Photics! Come baaaaccck!
    ·
  • DoguzDoguz Posts: 498Member, PRO
    This is huge.
    ·
  • LordNastyLordNasty Posts: 18Member, PRO
    Wow .. great news! i need to test! :)
    ·
  • ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,511Member, PRO
    Early!!! :)
    ·
  • nickb5552nickb5552 Posts: 454Member, PRO
    edited January 2013

So what would be the best way to utilize this new feature? Start with the retina iPad specs and then publish that version? Will the images take up too much memory for iPhone 4, 4s, and 5?

I would love to know the answer to that question too.
    Im wondering how to go about using this.

Should I start with the iPhone Legacy… Use the Gshelper overscan technic to get it to fit on iPhone 5, and then expand to iPad?

Or should I start with iPad? But if I started with iPad could I get it to fit both iPhone legacy and iPhone 5?

Thanks.
    Would Appreciate any help or knowledge!

-Nick Barber
    ·
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,166Member
    edited January 2013
    such low key introduction of such big feature, but i wonder if you are able to tell what device it's running on based on the resolution. if not it's not really a true universal binary as you are simply cropping down. and not being able to displaying two completely different design. but all in all some of the games will benefit with a simple cropping since they are made to be the same on iphone/ipad anyway.

never the less thank you GS for the great news. we all have been waiting for this forever. YES.
    ·
  • ElfizmElfizm Posts: 489Member
    @Braydon_SFX

I was just about to say GShelper would most likely have videos out ASAP. So I will wait for them before I ask questions :)
    ·
  • nickb5552nickb5552 Posts: 454Member, PRO
    edited January 2013

Hey guys,

We'll most likely have a video tutorial up by the weekend that walks you through this process and maybe answer a couple of questions found here.

Thanks! @Braydon_SFX

I really appreciate that and will for sure check that out!

-Cheers!
    ·
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,338Member
    See my discussion in the pro section (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/53453/universal-binary-issue-images-fuzzy-on-ipad-mini) on universal looking great on all except iPad mini (fuzzy lo-res looking) - anyone confirm?
    ·
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    woooot!
    ·
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Posts: 337Member, PRO
    Great news! =D>

Thanks GS, and thanks @Braydon_SFX for testing/confirming it.
    ·
  • GrapeSodaGamesGrapeSodaGames Posts: 93Member
    Awesome stuff! Been waiting for this for awhile! I want to scream it from the roof tops! Thanks GS team!
    ·