Accelerometer Movement Done Right

Noticed there was a post earlier asking about accelerometer movement, but it was in Pro forums and I don't use my work account for posting non-work related junk. So I've worked a lot with tilt and I think I've nailed it down pretty well.

First, there is one very important function everyone must use when using the accelerometer... Low Pass Filter! The problem is, the raw reading is way way jittery and makes your actors tweak out when you attach them to it. So, we need to filter out the jitters to give us a nice natural feel.

Second, use move and not constrain to move your actors. This way, we keep the ability to use physics.

Third, we need to reverse the input if the device is flipped. Simple, but overlooked sometimes.

The project below demos these three points above along with putting a stopper on your actor so it doesn't roll off the screen. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

All functionality is inside actor. Use tiltSpeed attribute to adjust sensitivity. Post a question for more advanced settings of the Low Pass Filter. Thanks!

Project file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27937751/AccelerometerHow_EZ_01_31_13.gameproj.zip

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @ericzingeler

Excellent stuff, a definite improvement on what I've seen, especially where the direction changes, much less of a linear 'kick', a much better transition. Thanks for uploading !

:)>-

It's not clear, even from looking at your code, how you've made and implemented a low pass filter ? I've tried to do a low pass in the past by using a timer and interpolate, so the accelerometer is only being sampled every X seconds - but you can probably imagine the limitations of this kind of thing, but you seem to have completely lost the high frequency stuff . . . . . how !?!
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Member Posts: 334
    edited February 2013
    Well, the low pass filter is in the constrain behavior. The constrain behavior (so it seems) will execute on every tick of the CPU (theres your interval).

You're basically taking 4 percent of the current accelerometer reading and using 96 percent of the last reading that only used 4 percent of its current and 96 percent of the previous and so on... Not sure if that makes sense or not... kinda of hard to grasp.

I originally got the filter off of Stack Overflow and made it fit into GS.

You can also throw a linear equation into the move behavior to trail off the sensitivity the more the device is tilted... There's all kinds of fun stuff you can do with this. Math is our friend.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    Well, the low pass filter is in the constrain behavior. The constrain behavior (so it seems) will execute on every tick of the CPU (theres your interval).

You're basically taking 4 percent of the current accelerometer reading and using 96 percent of the last reading that only used 4 percent of its current and 96 percent of the previous and so on... Not sure if that makes sense or not... kinda of hard to grasp.

No, that makes perfect sense.

Good stuff.
  • gamesfuagamesfua Member Posts: 723
    @ericzingeler wow nice work! I tried it out and its smooth as silk! I took a look at the code and have zero idea what you did but it looks amazing ;)
    Thanks for the input and great design!
    haha, I know... Its weirdly simple, but works so well.
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    What a great solution! Thanks for sharing it with the community.
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
    Totally awesome and a big Thank you. Using it right now. Its smooth.
    Is there a way that I can make the Actor move a bit faster?
    If so please let me know.
    Thanks again.
    Never mind. Just found it. Thanks again.
    I was wrong. I did not figure it out. So how or where do I set the speed of the actor. Thanks.
    To adjust speed of actor: Adjust tiltSpeed attribute in actor
    Yes of course. Its soo great. Thanks again.
  • BluemoonstudiosBluemoonstudios Member Posts: 156
    Hi @ericzingeler I know this thread is pretty old, but I only just came across it now. I was wondering if you could tell me how to make this work for vertical movement also.Its for a landscape universal game. Ive tried playing around with it for a while but I just cant work it out. Thank you
    Bluemoon... In Low pass filter. Change X to Y.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    edited May 2013
    Good tip, excellent work on the filter. GS should add Raw Accelerometer and LowPass Accelerometer to the engine so that we don't have to do this ourselves.

One point though is that the Move behavior sends physics events, but it doesn't receive them very well. If you have a projectile hit your box the box will hardly budge. The projectile will bounce though. This could be good or bad depending on your game. This is good for breakout type games but bad for situations where you would need the control actor to move on impact. The Accelerate behavior is a suitable replacement in those cases, since it doesn't interfere with receiving physics events. Accelerate isn't as smooth as @ericzingeler 's example, but it can be tweaked to be a close approximation - also, no low pass filter needed is needed since the inertia absorbs the noise.

Also, since when did constraining a variable to itself suddenly not cause bugs in GS? That used to be a "very bad thing." Is this now OK?
    @Bluemoonstudios

Like @JoeMeister said, just swap out X for Y. You may have to change. If the actor is going in the reverse direction of the tilt, just change the direction of the move behavior to 180.

@ORBZ

Yep, move is sucky for physics. Well technically, we're not constraining a variable to itself... we're constraining a variable to itself*.96+( game.Accelerometer.Y *.04) :)
    @ericzingeler im sorry to bother you again. But when I add the up and down movement it goes diagonal. I am trying to control cross hairs with this method. At the moment I can either have it moving up and down OR left to right. But not both at the same time. Any suggestions?
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    just a follow up from my previous post. Would anyone know how I can use this method to control a cross hair in my game. Ive been using the accelerometer behaviour with move and it works ok, but it's very jumpy. I believe the method above by @ericzingeler would work much better but I cant work out how to have it working correctly for all directions. Some help will be very much appreciated.

John
    @Bluemoonstudios

Well, you'd have to create a 2nd set of the function. You need separate functions for both X and Y. Just make a copy of everything in my template and replace x for y.
  • themagicboxthemagicbox Member, PRO Posts: 82
    i tried this out to have both x and y funtions but it just goes diagonal, what am i doing wrong?
    same for me, just goes diagonal.
    @themagicbox
    @Bluemoonstudios

Here's an updated project file with up,dn,left,right tilt. Turns out we needed to use accelerometer Z (roll), not x. Also, to move along x-axis, we use accelerometer Y; so I apologize for the wrong instruction before.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27937751/gs/modules/AccelerometerFilter_v1.0_05_23_13.gameproj.zip
    thank you for the new file, this is super awesome of you...but when i tried it out, it was a little laggy and would jump frames, especially when it bounce off walls...im testing it on an old galaxy tab so maybe its the hardware?
    i also couldnt get z position fully right....am i supposed to set it on a flat surface and touch?
    @themagicbox

Like @ORBZ mentioned, this method isn't great when your colliding with objects. The weird bouncing behavior can't be avoided when using the move behavior.

The z position center... just tap screen when device is at a comfortable angle when holding. Doesn't matter what angle you tap at, will always work.
    @ericzingeler thank you so much mate, I really appreciate your help
    @Bluemoonstudios

Yep, no problem. :)

Also, just posted a project using this functionality for a labyrinth game type in this thread:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/57033/use-accelerometer-real-ball-rolling#latest
    @ericzingeler that's awesome man. How do you know how to do this stuff? I guess Gamesalad is even better when you can get it do things like this huh? Thanks again mate your a champion :)>-
    edited May 2013
    @Bluemoonstudios

No problem, and thanks!

You learn a lot faster when you get to do this stuff for a living... sit down and grind it out! :)

Yes, GS appears to be limited and simple at first, but we quickly find out that our own creativity sets the bar.
    If you like to see eric's method in action check out my latest game (Its FREE).
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gluhwurmchen/id601757784?mt=8