How to get rid of the gray area around a platform

Hello, I was creating my first platformer and when I tried to get my actor to stand on the actual platform it stood on top of a gray area above the platform. For example when I click on my actor it automatically switches to the block since it shows that I clicked inside of the gray area of the block. Also I am using the Windows version in case that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance, Eggey

Best Answers

• allc1865allc1865 Posts: 777
    Accepted Answer
    Check out Jamie Cross's platformer tutorials. He's on a Mac, but I'm sure the same principal applies.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Posts: 6,598
    edited December 2013 Accepted Answer

Sure, you need to use a Crop tool, to select just the platform area and so getting rid of anything around it. I'm not familiar with Paint but it must surely have a crop tool…or Gimp or Inkscape must have a crop tool, for certain.

Tip: when you've cropped it, make a note of its new size and make sure to make your platform actor that size (or half of it if you've Resolution Independence checked) before you bring in the updated image. (Or after, doesn't matter which order).

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Answers

• allc1865allc1865 Member, PRO Posts: 777
    You can check it out here:

Hope this helps!
  • EggeyGamesEggeyGames Member Posts: 51
    Thank you.
    Wait, I watched the videos and it didn't even show the grey area around what he put in. Is it some sort of bug?
    Hmm... looks like it. Send screenshots please?
    I don't think it's a bug. Take some screenshots of what you're talking about :) ;)
    Sorry but since I am new to gamesalad, how to I put a screen shot a screenshot unto the forums from the creator? Again sorry if I seem stupid, I just do not know how to traverse the gamesalad forums.
    No, it's not.
    Go to a photo sharing site (my favourite is imageshack.com) upload your image.
    You'll be taken to a page with a bunch of different kinds of links, choose the direct link and copy that link. Then come back to the forums and put, <$ing src="link here">. But leave out the dollar sign $

Hope that helps!
    Okay, so I got a good screen shot using PrintScreenSysRq. But, I have no idea how to Drag n drop my picture saved in paint to ImageShack. Because it doesn't let me go into the hard drive to find it I have to drag n drop it but paint doesnt allow that.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

Hi @EggeyGames try cropping/resizing your block image in your Paint program without any background to it, )i.e the image is the exact same size as the block graphic) and re-import into GSC. Could be that.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Okay. So, once you've printed your screen with the PrntScrn key, go into your photo editor - if all you have it Paint, that's fine - and paste there using the CTRL+V keys.
    Save it to your Desktop or somewhere easily accessible. Go into your photo sharing site. If you're using ImageShack.com, create an account or log in if you already have one.

Once you've logged in, click upload in the top right hand corner

click browse & upload > upload your image > click direct as the type

after you click on direct, it'll give you the link underneath.

And it's image, I messed up in my previous comment.

Hope this helps!
    The link to the picture is http://imageshack.com/a/img89/586/g222.jpg. Thank you for all of your help so far
    Is your problem to two gray platforms below the blue one?
    When you tried to get your character to stand on the blue platform, it fell on the gray platform instead? Is that your problem?
    No, the problem is the actual rock like platform is encompassed by a grey area making it impossible for my character to stand on the platform itself. The character just stands on top of the grey platform making it impossible to continue the game.
    I mean grey area around the platform not the platform itself.
    Could it be because I made the backgrounds of the images transparent instead of deleting them completely. This is my only though so far as to why this is happening.
    If so how would I delete the background of the photo instead of just making it transparent? I scoured the internet trying to figure out how to do it and nothing helped.
    Gyroscope I don't think that is it. Correct me if I am wrong, but that would just make the background transparent instead of just getting rid of it completely. I already have the background transparent.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited December 2013

Hi, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying, maybe? But then again, my guess at what your problem is might be wrong… or right…

OK, this is what I think you had or you've got, either version A or version B, i.e one has a grey background extending around your platform, the other has that grey deleted, and is shown transparent. Both, or either, will give you your problem…

So if you have either A or B, you want to delete the background around the image of your platform like in C, then providing the feet of your player hasn't anything under them, in other words, the feet are right at the bottom of your player's image, it'll be seen to stand on the platform.

photo test_zps55b39267.jpg

I have version B. The reason I pointed out the grey area around it was because if you click on the specific platform a grey area pops up around it to show where the person will be standing on. If you could tell me how to delete the background completely instead of just making it transparent I would really appreciate it. Thank you for all the help so far.
    Also if this helps I have paint, inkscape, and gimp for any kind of photo editing.
  • zypp1zypp1 Member Posts: 142
    paint WILL NOT enable you to make the background of a character transparent you need to use photoshop or similer i had this same issue when i started on gamesalad. an easy fix for you tho is to completly fill the platform area in paint with no area to make transparent if you get my gist.
    hope helps.
    Thank you so much allc, zyptek, and especially gyroscope for helping me figure this out. I finally can get the game working!
    Everything works? @EggeyGames
    Good example, @gyroscope
    Yes, everything is working fine right now.
    Cool. If you need any more help, just ask! ;) :)
    Will do