Gamesalad success stories?

avemonavemon Member Posts: 16
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey guys! does anyone have any success story that would like to share with the rest of us? Gamesalad was released sometime ago so I guess maybe we already have a big time winner =)... anyone? if you could/want add sales#s would be awesome!!

Comments

• EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Search the forums, there are already a few threads like this!
  • avemonavemon Member Posts: 16
    I did, i didnt find any :S
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    I can't say I have had super success or even made much money yet but I did get a mention in a local business magazine.

http://www.cvbizjournal.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=433:creative-entrepreneurs-jump-into-the-world-of-iphone-‘apps’&Itemid=77

That was pretty cool :-)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    It depends on the measure of success. Financially, GameSalad was not abysmal failure for me... but a failure none-the-less. After months of hard work for three different GameSalad projects, I've barely covered the costs of the software. I had about 120 sales. (Some people around here do that in a day.) But considering that I bought artwork and music licenses, which were used in two of my projects, I'm still at a loss.

If I had done nothing, I'd have more money. Furthermore, I wouldn't have been diverted from other Photics.com projects, which were far more successful.

However, GameSalad has other measures of success. It was a lot of fun to make my own games. I feel proud knowing that I made a launch day app for the iPad. And while I'm still not happy with the controls for Photics: Revisions - Course Correction, I really like Photics: Fireball and the Photics: Toolbox. I like to play Photics: Fireball... it's somewhat mesmerizing... I can sit and keep playing.

This is a business and a hobby to me. Mainstream video games have been frustrating me. They just don't seem as fun as they used to be. So instead, I have fun making my own games.

Also, I too was mentioned in the press.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/is-it-easier-to-develop-games-for-the-ipad-than-the-iphone-2010-4

As you can see from one of the comments, GameSalad wasn't well received. It's easy to bash GameSalad, but I think that might be short-sighted. GameSalad is still in beta. Depending on how the software improves, this could be a really exciting place to be.
  • kegonationkegonation Member Posts: 6
    People say they don't make much money off the app they made. The thing you need to know is how to market. Good marketing strategies could get you far. You could have a truly amazing app but it wont get anywhere if you cant market it.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Marketing is the key. I've been planning all my Marketing Methods since I started almost a year ago.
    Can't wait to submit a quality games!
  • BIG_THINKIN_APPSBIG_THINKIN_APPS Member Posts: 944
    for me I made like 5 dalliers but when U put my apps out for free than I get like 100 sales in less than 24 hours. So it depends on the app and the cost.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited January 2012
    Not many of you know i spent 3 years making next to nothing when i started many years ago, it takes patience, time and belief...oh and a little luck and it also depends how you measure success?

Success for me means having a great team around you including the other half:P

Darren.

FREE GS Templates
    FREE GS Tools
    Video Tutorials
    Forum
    3rd party marketplace

• heathccheathcc Member Posts: 113
    As mentioned before, measurement of success varies from person to person. I've released two iPad apps so far and made more than a $1000 from each over six months. It isn't a tremendous amount of money, but it only took about 40 hours total to make them and it has been a fun experience. I have a few things on deck right now that I'm quite confident about to do at least twice as good.

Even if I'm only selling 5-10 copies a day that still adds up every month to a hobby I made money off.

Here is the #1 problem I've seen from being here and using GS for over a year: People have an idea for a game and try to shoehorn GS into being the tool to pull it off no matter what. You are MUCH better off learning what GS does well and then constructing a game idea around that. Many people have pulled off amazing things with GS, but it isn't the tool for everything. It is incredible within it's range.

R
    edited January 2012
    WOW JUST THIS WEEK I GOT 460 this week DOWNLOADS AND I'M ONLY 11 YEARS OLD.
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    @flipflopgames Thats very good!
    Im 14 and im coming up to just about 3000 Downloads (mixed of free & Paid apps)
    same here I'm going to get a great app on the app store for free and hopefully get lots of downloads.
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Free apps always get more downloads, About 2000 of my sales are free apps
    yup
  • thurlowweedthurlowweed Member Posts: 2

I've only been learning about GameSalad. I'll be purchasing the PRO developer pack here in the next day or so and I'm really looking forward to building some fun games. I like what I read here. This isn't the first business I will own, and I know about marketing. I've also noticed that GameSalad is a great starting point! If you're looking to do more then what GS offers then there's Unity 3-D, Stencily, and Game Maker. But I believe that GS is a great way to start, then work your way up from there!

• wolala123wolala123 Member Posts: 248

@thurlowweed Agree with you. GameSalad is a good choice tool, it can make most of 2D game.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
  • AcroxiaAcroxia Member, PRO Posts: 50

My game "전설의 대장장이(Legendary blacksmith)" has 1st rank in korea appstore (free game catagory) and 1st rank in korea playstore paid game
    (over 300,000 download just free version)

is this success story right?
    (sorry i can't speak english...)

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited October 2014
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Well done to the two above who have had some success!

Darren.

• alarm656alarm656 Member Posts: 291

Agree, GameSalad is great to start. Unity is great engine if you know coding.

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

I launched Milo & Me at a $1.99 price point and then went back and forth between $0.99 and $1.99. I got about 200 downloads within two months (and a decent Touch Arcade review).

Then, I decided to try an experiment and make it free for a bit. It got promoted by a few large free-app sites and downloads skyrocketed to about 15k in two days. It also managed to make it into the #27 spot for iPad RPG games in US (even higher in other countries).

Pretty proud of the "download success" of the game but haven't made more than about $150 from it. I would highly recommend to anyone here to launch your game as free with in-app purchases and/or ads. Unless you are a big name developer, it's tough to get people to pay upfront for your game.

Jason

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Acroxia said:
    My game "전설의 대장장이(Legendary blacksmith)" has 1st rank in korea appstore (free game catagory) and 1st rank in korea playstore paid game
    (over 300,000 download just free version)

is this success story right?
    (sorry i can't speak english...)

Cool ! :)

edited October 2014

@jasonnowak

exactly "paid" is no option guys.
    I was to multiple conferences with people of wooga or app lift, zynga, gameduell.

Free is the only way in mobile. Unless you got a deal with apple to be featured.

Free + ads + in-app (remove ads)

Additionaly chartboost has right now the tendency to peak their ecpms to highs of 7 to 14 dollar. Which is pretty nice.