Edit your parameters during gamplay and save them as CSV (demo included)

(excuse my english)
Sometimes it is tedious or impractical to adjust the parameters of the game stored in a table, go to simulator, back to the table, change the value, do play again, etc. .

It would be very useful to adjust some parameters of the game, during the same gameplay that is easy to move objects or variables with a simple touch ... however, at the end of these settings, you need to load these values ​​into the table of the development project and so far had not found the way to do it .

Now I did it! :)
I implemented it using the latest tools of the nightly build 221 ( first nightly I downloaded), but you can do the same with a little more work with version 10.4.

I was inspired by the "Cyborg Cypher" video , which uses the debugger to extract some parameters manually .

Basically what I did was pass the contents of a table to CSV format and save it to a string. So that we can extract from the debugger, with a simple copy paste and save it to a text file , then import it as cvs.

I hope you find it useful, maybe this can be done in a better way, I would like to tell me.
But for me, it's something I attempted to do for a long time and now I am very happy to have done it and even more to make another contribution to the community :)

Thank you!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    Interested to take a look at this. There is another way on the horizon. With the new multiplayer functionality, it's possible to send live table data to a server. See http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/63636/sending-and-receiving-data-using-your-own-sql-server-php-file-and-testproject-included/p1 by @jonmulcahy for more details. This means that you could have a server window open in a browser and refresh it to see the table data changing while previewing the project file in Creator. In fact, I just thought of something else... you could even use the embedded Internet browser in the project file to toggle back and forth between the scene and the table data that the server is storing.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Note that both multiplayer functionality and the above demo require a Pro membership with GameSalad.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521
    Hello @tatiang yesterday I downloaded my first nightly build and see commands "send and get", I thought this could be a solution to my problem.
    However, I must admit that the issue is beyond me, I have a lot to learn before entering this topic to configure server, etc..
    This solution I found is very comfortable to develop, allowing adjust in play and then with a simple copy and paste, we have a new table in csv, then can re-import it in our initial table.

I have to keep studying!
    Well it's beyond me, too, but I'm taking a crack at it since it's such an exciting feature.

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Very cool idea and something that definitely makes sense…

You could view your table, change it in game, press a button to export it to a table on your server… I saw a PHP script online to convert a CSV file into a mysql database… so we must be able to go the other way.

You could then import it back into your game.

@tatiang you working on it? :-)
  • CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521
    Okey, I am whaiting for you here ;)
    @StormyStudio I just meant that I'm playing around with @jonmulcahy's scripting tutorial, nothing more. And I haven't had much time even for that. I just love the idea of implementing user-designed and user-shareable levels, which is definitely possible now.