Free Template! - Don't step on the white tile

stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Community Tutorials

Ok here is a free template from me to you. Its a clone of the game "Don't step on the white tile" from Japan. I thought it would be easy to build so I built it yesterday. Its a give back for the few people that have helped me on the forums here.

I was originally going to ask that people download my game from the app store as a sign of good will but apparently thats not cool on GS forums. So please do not download the game in my signature. Please.

Enjoy!

NOTE:

This game was made with RC 0.11.0.2. I will see if I can compile one for 10.4.

My Latest GS Game - Tiny Spirit
My First GS Game - Dashing Ralph

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Very kind of you, will check it out 2 morro when I'm back in the office.

Darren.

• stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Very kind of you, will check it out 2 morro when I'm back in the office.

Darren.

Thanks Darren. I am an owner of your Explosion Generator 3 which I used for Dashing Ralph. Its amazing.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited March 2014

A free template is a free template. No strings attached. If you want to announce your game, please do so in a separate thread. I've edited your first post to remove the request and link for your game.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited March 2014

@tatiang said:
    A free template is a free template. No strings attached. If you want to announce your game, please do so in a separate thread. I've edited your first post to remove the request and link for your game.

No problem. Template removed. EDIT: and now added back after the anger at the lack of appreciation subsided. Sorry for mentioning that I have a game I want people to download.

@stueynet said:
    No problem. Template removed.

Well that's a shame but you have every right to withhold it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Honestly @tatiang‌ its more about your attitude. A simple, hey thats really nice of you to post a free template that you worked on for everyone. I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

edited March 2014

Strange attitude indeed, specially for a mod infact I've had a few PMs regarding tatiangs "attitude" recently :(

I'm REALLY against editing someone's post it just feels so intrusive, I mean advise them to change it and give them time to respond but too many times I have seen the big guns coming in and editing without giving the guys a chance.

Talk about rule with an iron fist, it's a friendly forum and people should be encouraged and supported and if they make a mistake or break rules guide them.

Darren.

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Strange attitude indeed, specially for a mod infact I've had a few PMs regarding tatiang but it's out of my hands guys.

I'm REALLY against editing someone's post it just feels so intrusive, I mean advise them to change it and give them time to respond but too many times I have seen the big guns coming in and editing without giving the guys a chance.

Darren.

Just so that its clear, I was the one that edited the post. It wasn't edited by GS. Wow this really took a turn for the worse huh? Anyway people download the free template and rock on.

@stueynet said:
    Honestly tatiang‌ its more about your attitude. A simple, hey thats really nice of you to post a free template that you worked on for everyone. I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I probably could have been more tactful. I certainly do appreciate that you offered to provide a free template and I'm glad that you chose to re-post it. The moderators are dealing with an ongoing issue of clarifying rules around advertising and I saw your initial post as a way to tie something free to something required.

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Strange attitude indeed, specially for a mod infact I've had a few PMs regarding tatiangs "attitude" recently :(

Talk about rule with an iron fist, it's a friendly forum and people should be encouraged and supported and if they make a mistake or break rules guide them.

Darren.

@DeepBlueApps‌ I'll send you a PM about this.

@tatiang said:
    I probably could have been more tactful. I certainly do appreciate that you offered to provide a free template and I'm glad that you chose to re-post it. The moderators are dealing with an ongoing issue of clarifying rules around advertising and I saw your initial post as a way to tie something free to something required.

No harm done. If anybody has any questions just ask. The Template was done quickly but it works pretty well.

edited March 2014

@tatiang please don't I'm really not interested.

@stueynet That makes me feel better :), glad you kept the template up I'm sure many people will learn from it.

Darren.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@stueynet I've found a lot of the more popular templates typically have a screenshot or two posted as well, helps drive people to download it :)

@jonmulcahy said:
    stueynet I've found a lot of the more popular templates typically have a screenshot or two posted as well, helps drive people to download it :)

Done!

• JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300

@stueynet Just wanted to pop in and suggest adding which version of GS this was made with. I know it's a nightly build, people may want to know this before downloading it as it doesn't work with the stable release build.

And I really don't understand the game. I tried the template out, and while i'm sure it's made well, I really couldn't do anything. Probably my ignorance toward the original game it's made after tho. What am I supposed to do in the template/game?

@JDuaneJ said:
    stueynet Just wanted to pop in and suggest adding which version of GS this was made with. I know it's a nightly build, people may want to know this before downloading it as it doesn't work with the stable release build.

Good point @JDuaneJ. I have added a note up top. its with RC 0.11.0.2 but it doesn't use any fancy features so simply changing the extension should make it work on 10.4.

And I really don't understand the game. I tried the template out, and while i'm sure it's made well, I really couldn't do anything. Probably my ignorance toward the original game it's made after tho. What am I supposed to do in the template/game?

You are basically trying to move as fast as you can by clicking only on black squares. So you click on line 2 from the bottom and everything moves down when you click. I have the clickable row highlighted in the template for developer reference only. You will likely make the controls fully invisible when you publish.

The original game is here for your reference:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dont-step-the-white-tile/id783246578?mt=8

@stueynet said:
    I have added a note up top. its with RC 0.11.0.2 but it doesn't use any fancy features so simply changing the extension should make it work on 10.4.

That is not correct. Unfortunately it will not work with 10.4. But we all know the new stable build will be here soon.

• cyborg_samcyborg_sam Member Posts: 28

Thanks!
    How do you make this template scroll from the top down?

• GengarAllenPoeGengarAllenPoe Member Posts: 2

For some odd reason, it says the template is newer than the creator even though I have the newest version! What do I do? :s

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90

Everything seems fine until the mods come in.. Maybe that says something about the forums here. No one complained, no one found it offensive. I think the only time people complain or find it when mods edit and change and dictate what happens. We have @fourmninja now.
    I lost so much respect for some great blokes dispute the fact they do some great work. It really is a shame.

I see a lot of mods sell or run template websites and it makes me wonder how much influence that has over their decisions.

• wirelesstkdwirelesstkd Member Posts: 75

FWIW, if rules are being reworked, I'd like to see the moderators ease up a bit on advertising. I'd like to check out the guy's game, but I can't find a link (signatures don't show up on mobile, nor can you select specific sub forums like the one to announce your game).

• bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375

@GengarAllenPoe said:
    For some odd reason, it says the template is newer than the creator even though I have the newest version! What do I do? :s

Use the release candidate.

• GengarAllenPoeGengarAllenPoe Member Posts: 2

@bjandthekatz said:
    Use the release candidate.

Whats that?

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694
  • davidwebbcodavidwebbco Member Posts: 1

Looking for instructions on building Don't step on the White tile using windows creator in gamesalad. I appreciate your help.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

@stueynet Thanks for sharing!

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• spock1234spock1234 Member, PRO Posts: 65

Awesome template ! Thanks