Suddenly file could not be opened

I was doing my project when suddenly it crashed and closed by itself.

When I tried to open it again, a popup message came up saying that my file could not be opened, unable to read file. Anyone has any idea why this is happening? The project is almost finish and it is frustrating to not being able to open the file.

Best Answers

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,949
    Accepted Answer

There could be quite a few reasons for this but it's hard to know. You may need to restore the most recent backup and chalk it up to "stuff happens." Since you're a Pro member, you may want to submit a support ticket at http://www.gamesalad.com/support. Sometimes they are able to restore corrupted files.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2015 Accepted Answer

@pokapola said:
    Socks I only worked on a single file..lesson learned I must say :'(

Damn ! Sorry to hear you lost your work, but like you say it's a lesson learned.

All files, from every piece of software out there, from Photoshop to Logic Audio, will fail on you from time to time, so if you work on a single file throughout a project you are unfortunately always one corrupt file away from loosing everything.

On a single project I save every time I make any progress, that could be a better font or that I've finally nailed the right speed for an enemy, at that stage I might be working on Game072 and so save as Game073 . . . and again 10 minutes later I might have played around with an explosion and if I think it's starting to look good I will save the file as Game074 . . . and so on, at the end of the day the current file gets uploaded to MediaFire or DropBox.

So if a file corrupts I only have to go back one stage, that might be 30 minutes of work lost or it might only be 10 minutes . . and even if my whole computer is stolen and my house is burned down I can still carry on working from where I left of by grabbing the later version from MediaFire / DropBox.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Good

Not so Good

Answers

• pokapolapokapola Member Posts: 143

Thanks @tatiang. I have submit a support ticket with my project file attached.

I think the cause of the problem is that when I tried to view the assets and objects XML file within the project, they all contain gibberish language (or alphabet).

I will remain pessimistic about this one, and try to start from scratch. Oh my..all my hard work.. :s

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2015

@pokapola said:
    Oh my..all my hard work.. :s

Were you just working on a single file all through the project, or were you incrementally saving as you went along ?

@Socks I only worked on a single file..lesson learned I must say :'(

Thanks @Socks for the tips!

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@Socks But what if your house is burned down while someone has kidnapped you and are forzing you to eat really bad tasting chicken wings in a cruel attemt for you to give up your mediafire and dropbox accounts which you will do eventually.
    Bet you did't think about that! hah

I'm basically doing the same thing btw :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@MarcMySalad said:
    Socks But what if your house is burned down while someone has kidnapped you and are forzing you to eat really bad tasting chicken wings in a cruel attemt for you to give up your mediafire and dropbox accounts which you will do eventually.
    Bet you did't think about that! hah

I keep a duplicate MediaFire account that has only fake GameSalad files for those occasions when I'm kidnapped and/or tortured.