Color Hexes is now available

Hey there fellow devs!

In the past two weeks i've been developing a small puzzle game called Color Hexes. It's now available for download.

Apple AppStore
Amazon AppStore

Because of the lack of support for Google Play leaderboards, i'm not releasing this on Google Play at this time. I might implement Appformatives leaderboard for a possible GP release later.

Goal of the game is simple. Connect 4 or more tiles of the same color to score points and make more room for new tiles. The next 3 tiles are shown on the top of the screen, and you place them by dragging on the empty hexes on the grid. As the score increases, more colors are introduced to make the game more challenging.

Hope this is something someone will enjoy playing.

I'll be trying more of these "little projects" in the future. It's so satisfying to get something finished. I always tend to lose interest in the big projects i have. I'm happy to get another game finished.

Mental Donkey Games
Website - Facebook - Twitter

Comments

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

I actually enjoyed the game play. Well done.
    The only thing I did notice was that (and this was done on purpose to test the logic)
    if I have more than 5 empty tiles that can not be used, it will take the game 5+ seconds to notice that the game should end.
    Other than that, best of luck.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Two.E said:
    I actually enjoyed the game play. Well done.
    The only thing I did notice was that (and this was done on purpose to test the logic)
    if I have more than 5 empty tiles that can not be used, it will take the game 5+ seconds to notice that the game should end.
    Other than that, best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback!
    5+ seconds? What device did you test with? It never took that long on my test devices.

I do have an idea on how i can improve on the time when checking if there is still space left. I´ll need to try and test.

Mental Donkey Games

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

@-Timo- said:
    Great game! Love the idea. Best of luck with it.

Thanks a lot!

Mental Donkey Games

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

The design looks really nice, I'm a sucker for hexagons ! :) Will download later on tonight !!

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Ipad Mini 2 (Might be because its oldish).

Normally it worked fine, but I made it so I had like anywhere from 5-10 free spots. Nothing I would have normally noticed, but I was looking to see how well structured the game was.
    My verdict - It seems very solid.

@Socks said:
    The design looks really nice, I'm a sucker for hexagons ! :) Will download later on tonight !!

Thanks! Hope you like it.

Mental Donkey Games

@Two.E said:
    Ipad Mini 2 (Might be because its oldish).

Normally it worked fine, but I made it so I had like anywhere from 5-10 free spots. Nothing I would have normally noticed, but I was looking to see how well structured the game was.
    My verdict - It seems very solid.

Thanks. I'll try to improve the code a bit.

Mental Donkey Games

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Looks really nice and slick.

One thing I'd say, and feel free to ignore - the game's colours are pretty harsh. There's a trend at the moment to softer colours, not just in game design but across the web in flat design. Personally I wouldn't want to spend too long looking at the screen with harsh primary colour. Games like dots have lovely soft palates, for example.

Bear with me, because it only took 5 minutes so obviously can be tweaked, but something like this is a little easier on the eyes.

Of course, everyone has their own tastes and I'm sure other people will like the strong primary colour feel.

edited September 2016

@imjustmike said:
    Looks really nice and slick.

One thing I'd say, and feel free to ignore - the game's colours are pretty harsh. There's a trend at the moment to softer colours, not just in game design but across the web in flat design. Personally I wouldn't want to spend too long looking at the screen with harsh primary colour. Games like dots have lovely soft palates, for example.

Bear with me, because it only took 5 minutes so obviously can be tweaked, but something like this is a little easier on the eyes.

Of course, everyone has their own tastes and I'm sure other people will like the strong primary colour feel.

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually spent a lot of time with the colors, and i'm still thinking about changing them a bit. It's surprisingly hard to come up with enough different colors, that don't get mixed up easily.

I'll try to play around with the colors a little and see what i come up with.

Mental Donkey Games

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    I actually spent a lot of time with the colors, and i'm still thinking about changing them a bit. It's surprisingly hard to come up with enough different colors, that don't get mixed up easily.

the hardest thing for me is to find colours that match. There are a bunch of tools to help out though, from the simple https://flatuicolors.com/ to the more complex https://coolors.co/dbcdc6-ead7d1-dd99bb-7b506f-1f1a38 (press space to generate new colour scheme)

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@imjustmike said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

the hardest thing for me is to find colours that match. There are a bunch of tools to help out though, from the simple https://flatuicolors.com/ to the more complex https://coolors.co/dbcdc6-ead7d1-dd99bb-7b506f-1f1a38 (press space to generate new colour scheme)

Thanks for listing this site: https://coolors.co/dbcdc6-ead7d1-dd99bb-7b506f-1f1a38

I've often used flatuicolors.com but the other one looks a lot better.

Excellent game, I'm addicted already !! Review left.

High score 358 ! :)

@imjustmike said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

Thanks for the tip. Looks promising.

Mental Donkey Games

@Socks said:
    Excellent game, I'm addicted already !! Review left.

I´m glad you´re enjoying! Thanks for the review.

@Socks said:
    High score 358 ! :)

Nice! But you need to try a little harder. My personal best is 382 :smiley:

Mental Donkey Games

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@imjustmike said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

Great sites, thanks for the tip!

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    Nice! But you need to try a little harder. My personal best is 382 :smiley:

Damn you and your hexagonal fingers !

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Really nice game, will leave a review!

@BazookaTime said:
    Really nice game, will leave a review!

Thank you very much!

Mental Donkey Games

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285

@jamie_c said:

@imjustmike said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

Great sites, thanks for the tip!

Adobe Kuler https://color.adobe.com/

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Ah, @Socks, you beat me! My first game was 83, my second 350. So I guess my next game will be 617. Can't wait!

It's a great game. Makes my head spin a bit but in a good, challenging way.

I do like the look of the softer colors but as someone who has mild color blindness, I appreciate the bold colors. I find myself saying "red yellow blue" "blue white red" in my head while planning my next move. With the alternative color schemes, I wouldn't be able to do that and would probably have to slow down a lot to process the color differences. But that's just me.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited September 2016

@tatiang said:
    Ah, @Socks, you beat me! My first game was 83, my second 350. So I guess my next game will be 617. Can't wait!

It's a great game. Makes my head spin a bit but in a good, challenging way.

Yep, it's a great game, I'm quite addicted to it now ! Still haven't done any better than 358 yet.

@tatiang said:
    I find myself saying "red yellow blue" "blue white red" in my head while planning my next move.

Yep !! I have to do exactly the same thing, I repeat the colours over and over again as I plan my next move 'red yellow blue, red yellow blue, red yellow blue . . .'

Oddly I occasionally I play the next move - accidentally - in reverse, so I sit there repeating 'red yellow blue' only to play the move as if it's 'blue yellow red' . . .weird !?

@tatiang said:
    With the alternative color schemes, I wouldn't be able to do that and would probably have to slow down a lot to process the color differences. But that's just me.

You could have optional colour palettes, with a 'colour-blind' option included, or even a facility to customise the colours yourself . . . you could also replace the colours with numbers or letters . . . and of course, everyone's AppStore favourite, brightly coloured, glossily rendered fruit (e.g. CandyCrush).

EDIT: there is a colourblind option already ! I didn't spot it before.

406!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

406! And here I was cooking dinner for my family. I should have been playing Color Hexes!

You could have optional colour palettes, with a 'colour-blind' option included, or even a facility to customise the colours yourself . . .

Good point, it doesn't have to be either/or.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    406! And here I was cooking dinner for my family. I should have been playing Color Hexes!

Let them feast on your high score.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Still play this at least a couple times a day, can't say that about any other game I have right now.

@Socks nice high score!

You could have optional colour palettes, or even a facility to customise the colours yourself

I was actually thinking about having an option to customise the colors. Maybe if the game gets some more downloads, i´ll add the feature.

I was also thinking of making some kind of in game currency that you could use to buy new shapes to replace the hexagons. You would get X amount of currency for every 100 points you score etc... Didn´t feel like a good thing to add at the time, so i ditched the idea :smile:

@tatiang @BazookaTime nice to hear you like the game!

Mental Donkey Games

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    @Socks nice high score!

New highscore 755 !