Question about Ad Hoc for other beta testers

gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
Hi, when my first project is finished (5 days time, max.) I'd like to make an ad hoc, not only for my own testing but for others to beta test the game if they'd like to.

TSB's excellent video about installing an Ad Hoc looks straightforward enough but one aspect I'm not clear about is where he mentions that for each of the persons who is going to get a copy of the ad hoc, you need their App ID. Does the beta tester send it to you, or do you make up a name for him, different from all the others, or... why can't another user just install my ad hoc on their iPad with my App ID? (I mean, it's just a name...)

Sorry if this seems an obvious question! :-)

Oh yes, one final question, is there a limit to how many ad hocs I can make in a year's subscription/membership, much like the max. number of devices?

----------------------------------------------
http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Comments

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @gyroscope Well I'm glad to hear you've got a release coming after all this time. I expect nothing less than a masterpiece. No pressure ;)

You get 100 spaces for devices on your apple account. So once they send you their device ID you add it to your list of devices that can play your ad hocs. Then you update the certs and publish through GS with this new cert.

Now when you send the tester the game they can play it. Because the cert that is bundled with the game has their device number. You can make as many ad hocs as you want but still only send to that maximum of 100 devices. Test Flight is the easiet thing to use.

Shaz
    www.honeytribestudios.com
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2012
    Hi Shaz, excellent, all understood. I see that Test Flight is the better option: I'll check it out now. Thank you for your explanation.

Quote: "@gyroscope Well I'm glad to hear you've got a release coming after all this time. I expect nothing less than a masterpiece. No pressure ;-) "

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... (paces back and forth, worry creasing his brow... :-) All the same, thank you for your lovely comment! (This app isn't going to rock the world.... (implying some of my other apps in the pipeline will? ;-) but I like to think it's a professional offering... )

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Test Flight looks great, thanks again, Shaz; up 800mb and free, what more could be asked for?!

The only thing is, the UDIDs (which I'm guessing is the same as the AppIDs) have to be registered still in my Apple Developer Portal, so the max. amount of devices still applies?

The reason I'm a bit concerned is if I have, say, 50 beta testers per app (I should be so lucky, but I'll keep going with my example) and I produce 3 apps per year (not as far-fetched as it sounds, now I'm getting my backside in gear) then I could run out... anyone any thoughts on this?

50 betatesters? Are you making the first GS mmorpg? ;) I'll help you test something if you want. Providing you're thick skinned enough fo some blunt feedback. I'm too old for dilydalying around with polite BS :ar!

You can remove devices from the list and add different ones. (That's new) But 100 max at all times.

By the way if you tag someone - @ShigeruMiyamoto they get a notification that you mentioned them when they log on to this forum. Agents of Nintendo are already reading this even as I type.
    edited January 2012
    "50 betatesters? Are you making the first GS mmorpg?"

Ha! you're right; I don't know what I was thinking! !00 devices is more than enough. :-)

"I'll help you test something if you want. Providing you're thick skinned enough fo some blunt feedback. I'm too old for dilydalying around with polite BS "

That's great, Shaz, and appreciated; i'm certainly thick-skinned enough for any constructive criticism; it's great that you'll "say it like it is". Please let me know your App ID via contact [at] davidgriffinapps [dot] co [dot] uk The project will be finished in 5 days max.

Interesting fact about name tagging, didn't know that, thanks! I'll give it a whirl... @PinkFloyd @AnishKapoor @StephenHawking @RayBradbury ... ;-)

I've been thinking about Test Flight and appreciate your suggestion of it but I'm thinking I'd rather send the Ad Hocs to the beta testers so that they can test on their device... or have I got it wrong again and they DO test on their device via the Test Flight app from the Mac? (I must be getting slow in my ageing head; or blame it on too many late nights...)

@gyroscope @theQueen @MichaelJackson - ok the test flight sequence is:

1. sign up with testflight.
    2. send out an email invite via the testflight site. OR create a link on the testflight site, post it where ever and peeps can just click on it then add their details.
    3. The tester opens the invitation on their device and accepts. You get emailed their device number.
    4. Add that number to your devices list on your apple account.
    5. Upload your adhock via the testflight site.
    6. Notify peeps on your testflight user list that there is a game ready to test.
    7. The tester receives that email. They open it on the device and install directly on the device.

So this makes it easier for testers.
    edited January 2012
    @HoneyTribeStudios @Picasso @GiorgiodeChirico @MervynPeake

Got it again, thanks big time, Shaz. I see the advantage of Test Flight over sending the Ad Hoc.

So... if you could drop me a line at contact [at] davidgriffinapps [dot] co [dot] uk so I know your email address, that'd be great (I know we've corresponded before via email but I'm not sure where those emails might be.... a bit disorganised in that department still...)

And anyone else who'd like to beta test The End of the Earth for the iPad, please send me an email, thanks.