GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of GameSalad on 7-24-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 645Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
edited July 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

No stable release planned scheduled yet. QA is still digging through our first release candidate for 0.11.0. More news when it's available!

What’s New This Week?

1. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front. Are you a skilled developer or do you know one? If so, head over to http://www.gamesalad.com/jobs

2. Async multiplayer is going through some optimization passes now. Cleaning up the code and making it a bit smoother. It's been delivered to the History Fighter team and is awaiting more internal testing. Still waiting on finalizing an external contract before we can push it into the nightly builds.

3. We're in the middle of revamping how we build our Android code. It's taking a while but it's sure making our internal workflow nicer.

4. We've got a fix in the nightly builds for rotation choppiness on actors.

5. We've also got a fix in the nightly builds for several loop behavior bugs found in internal testing.

6. We've moved the web page for downloading nightly builds to: http://gamesalad.com/previous-releases. Don't ask me why. :)

7. We've pushed up new binaries for folks publishing Android apps on Windows. These new binaries fixed several compatibility issues with your apps on Android 4.2.

8. More sound fixes are making their way into the nightly build.

9. We've begun working on integrating Amazon's in-app-purchase and GameCircle systems. We should have something useful to send to QA next week. More news on this when it gets closer to release... and it'll be exciting!

10. More iOS 7 compatibility work is happening this week.

11. We're continuing to optimize the HTML5 engine for Tizen support. Good times.

12. Looks like we're biting off a new behavior that will allow you to contact a web server, request a JSON document and put it into a table for your game to use. I can imagine all kinds of interesting uses for this feature. Can you?
«1

Comments

  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,121Member, PRO
    Very good overall :)

    I'll ask the question now @CodeWizard which i'm seeing asked lots but seems to be ignored lots also ... Whats the deal with the stretch feature?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 645Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    It's a stretch, but I hear that @BlackCloakGS may finally get to it this next week. Lots of priority juggling happening these days. Really want to get to it though!
  • GappsoftGappsoft Posts: 22Member
    #2 and #12... ALL PRAISE CODEWIZARD

    and the rest of the GS team of course.
  • brickamatorbrickamator Posts: 316Member, PRO
    Gappsoft said:

    #2 and #12... ALL PRAISE CODEWIZARD

    and the rest of the GS team of course.

    Finally! I hope they come out soon!!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Dallas, TexasPosts: 5,365Member, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick
    Excellent work, guys! Keep it up! :D
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Posts: 334Member
    #12 - Yes please!
  • HalfBakedProductionsHalfBakedProductions Posts: 237Member, PRO
    Awesome, I can't wait for Async :D

    This might be a newbie question, but I don't get #12, could someone explain it :)
  • brickamatorbrickamator Posts: 316Member, PRO

    Awesome, I can't wait for Async :D

    This might be a newbie question, but I don't get #12, could someone explain it :)

    Async will be awesome!!! Upgrading to pro soon!!
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 918Member, PRO
    Looking good guys. Keep it up.
  • WeswogWeswog Posts: 1,171Member, PRO
    edited July 2013

    Awesome, I can't wait for Async :D

    This might be a newbie question, but I don't get #12, could someone explain it :)

    #12 basically means you will be able to edit your game live, any information dealing with tables and other things. So say you have an app that needs constant updated information, #12 will allow you to change your app without actually updating it. Very exciting feature, can't wait for it :)

  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,559Member

    #12
    image

    Yes. Just yes.
    - Thomas
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,622Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

    It's a stretch

    I saw what you did there!

    I. SAW!

    Anyway, this is just one of those features that might seem small, but would actually solve a humungous headache for everyone I think.

    Time to move it up the priority list please! :D

    QS =D
    @codewizard
    I have to agree. This needs to get out ahead of many other things. Currently the workarounds we are implementing to get this feature are very time consuming and borking a lot of projects if there is any camera movement in the game. We need this last week IMO. Im sure many others would agree.

    Great sounding stuff going on no doubt. would really just like to see this one get moved way up the list.

    Cheers
    Aaron
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 5,858Member, PRO
    I agree on stretch mode and something like a universal build for Android.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,559Member
    @CodeWizard - Has work been started for sounds from expression and custom fonts for History Fighter?
    - Thomas
    P.S. Agreed for stretch as well.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,622Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

    I agree on stretch mode and something like a universal build for Android.

    Stretch mode should solve Android as well
  • lukecurleylukecurley Posts: 37Member, PRO
    #12, JSON support, awesome!
  • AxygamesAxygames Posts: 187Member, PRO
    :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 235Member
    edited July 2013
    tenrdrmer said:

    It's a stretch

    I saw what you did there!

    I. SAW!

    Anyway, this is just one of those features that might seem small, but would actually solve a humungous headache for everyone I think.

    Time to move it up the priority list please! :D

    QS =D
    @codewizard
    I have to agree. This needs to get out ahead of many other things. Currently the workarounds we are implementing to get this feature are very time consuming and borking a lot of projects if there is any camera movement in the game. We need this last week IMO. Im sure many others would agree.

    Great sounding stuff going on no doubt. would really just like to see this one get moved way up the list.

    Cheers
    Aaron
    That sums it up nicely, I agree with it all.
  • natzuurnatzuur Posts: 232Member
    Stretch mode would be some sort of solution I guess, but could end up making games look awful, not something I would use personally. I think the outlined idea from @CodeWizard a few SoG posts back would be much better

    "Here's how I think we should handle multiple resolutions nicely:

    1. You provide artwork at a ridiculous size (iPad 3 resolution).

    2. We scale the artwork down to various smaller resolutions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc).

    3. The engine picks the correct artwork for the current device resolution and uses that."

    That way you could have correctly sized art for the same aspect ratios by even division. For other aspect ratios (like iphone 5), they would need to be something like ipad max size/1.8 rounded down for auto sizing. That would still allow for correctly scaled graphics, although a tad on the long side. Another option I would like would be multi-assets for each aspect ratio starting at the highest rez with auto scaling, so one set for iphone5 (and all 16:9), one for ipad (4:3), all packaged together but that would be larger file sizes on disk.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,559Member
    edited July 2013
    natzuur said:

    Stretch mode would be some sort of solution I guess, but could end up making games look awful, not something I would use personally. I think the outlined idea from @CodeWizard a few SoG posts back would be much better

    "Here's how I think we should handle multiple resolutions nicely:

    1. You provide artwork at a ridiculous size (iPad 3 resolution).

    2. We scale the artwork down to various smaller resolutions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc).

    3. The engine picks the correct artwork for the current device resolution and uses that."

    That way you could have correctly sized art for the same aspect ratios by even division. For other aspect ratios (like iphone 5), they would need to be something like ipad max size/1.8 rounded down for auto sizing. That would still allow for correctly scaled graphics, although a tad on the long side. Another option I would like would be multi-assets for each aspect ratio starting at the highest rez with auto scaling, so one set for iphone5 (and all 16:9), one for ipad (4:3), all packaged together but that would be larger file sizes on disk.

    Agreed, but they need something better soon, and stretch would be much faster to implement, to hold people up until they could do something better.
    - Thomas
    P.S. @CodeWizard - For #12, could we send information to the web as well as take information from it?
    - Thomas
  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 235Member
    Different persons want different things for different reasons in different situations. It all comes down to having a choice.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,121Member, PRO
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 8,301Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    I see stretch being useful for pushing updates to legacy apps. No need to reinvent the wheel to fix a bug.

    but i've been designing all my games with UB Overscan in mind to have the maximum control over the design.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,622Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
    edited July 2013
    You can say no pro uses stretch but I have seen a few indies use it who have made several million on thier games.

    I could care less if someone thinks I'm a pro if my games made that kind of money.

    And btw its incredibly easy to over come situations where you are getting ovals and rectangles out of your round and square actors. Most games still look fantastic with a stretch to fit solution for UB.

    @blackcloakgs sounds awesome. Really looking forward to that feature.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.