Apple - The Great Dictator Part 2 (App Rejection and Revolution!)

LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

Just had one of my apps rejected and thought I would share the dialogue I have had with the review team, it's also a lesson for anyone who invests time in an idea only to judged against muddy criteria that lacks transparency and consistency...

This is how my review discussion went (their reasons for the rejection)...

Screenshot_0 (my app icon)...

Screenshot_1 (my app screenshot)...

Given that there are heaps of apps on the appstore that appear to be in breach of these rules, I did a quick search and provided some samples for reference (sorry, Gameloft, Supercell and Halfbrick... you were caught in the crossfire)...

Screenshots from Brothers In Arms 3 that I attached...

I knew what their response would be, but it's annoying how the review team is so inconsistant and essentially the rules are not the same for everyone trying to compete for a bit of market share. Their response and my closing remarks...

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

Comments

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

:o

• BIG_THINKIN_APPSBIG_THINKIN_APPS Member Posts: 944

Hey I am sure this would get great media coverage you should tip some news sites! LOL (:

Conner

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

@BIG_THINKIN_APPS said:
    Hey I am sure this would get great media coverage you should tip some news sites! LOL (:

Conner

Still considering doing that.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Loaded said:
    Still considering doing that.

Ooh I'm telling...

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

Brothers in Arms 3 isn't rated 4+. This is under their apps metadata:

You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.

Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence

Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor

That's the problem apple is having. They want you to redo the questionnaire to increase the age rating of your app. It has guns in it so it clearly does not belong in the 4+ age group. Maybe 9+?

Hope that helps.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

It doesn't matter the rating, there is another post by another member having this same issue and his app is rated 17+.

I don't want to hijack the post but its seems likes its becoming a problem. Here is the link to his post.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/75073/appstore-rules-becoming-ludicrous/p1

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

Oh wow! That's super lame. Put black boxes over the guns and add text that says "gun (censored by apple)" :)

@DeadlySeriousMedia said:
    Brothers in Arms 3 isn't rated 4+.

The point that I used Brothers In Arms 3 in was contesting 3.6 which is that all meta data (icon / screenshots) regardless of the age rating of the app needs to be 4+ rated because this is visible to to everyone... BIA3 meta data (icon / screenshots) is clearly not 4+ rated.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

I agree it seems very petty. One plus point for Apple though is that at least you got communication with an actual human being...more that can be said for Google Play when they pull an app!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Loaded said:

No charge.

@Socks said:
    No charge.

Haha, going with that.

• CobraBladeCobraBlade Member Posts: 97

@Loaded I like it how, when you brought up the fact that they have games featured that don't have to follow these rules, you got the same reply world for word.

On occasion, there may be apps on the App Store that don't appear to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines. We work hard to ensure that the apps on the App Store are in compliance and we try to identify any apps currently on the App Store that may not be. It takes time to identify these occurrences but another app being out of compliance is not a reason for your app to be.

So It looks like, if anyone questions this, they just copy and paste the response.

@DeadlySeriousMedia Apparently, they don't like it when you write censored by Apple on your screenshots. I actually got a call from Apple asking me to remove the message from my screenshots. Any questions were greeted with what you expect, assurance that I'm not the only one. The same stuff they copy and paste in the resolution center.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    edited January 2015

I am becoming more convinced that Apple and GP are trying to remove the smaller indie developers one by one by throwing stupid rules at them. It looks like 2015 will see the end of the Indie, as the big boys will dominate, increase the prices of apps and it will turn into the console market where lack of creativity is the order of the day.

I'm sick of it really, so going to send out a tweet to see what happens. I've battled Amazon and won, time for Episode 2

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon