how to change background image to another in level select

hi im also super new to gs and sorry if this been addressed before how ever,i fail to find any info on this subject.
when i start the game i want to go to level select and choose a level to play on,it is basicly the same scene but a diferent background.but i have yet to figure out how to do so?any help would be apreciated.also this si the windows version of gs.

Comments

• CrimzinsnowCrimzinsnow Member Posts: 13

or do i have to make same scene but dif background and have the playr just select that scene to play on?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

You can do it many ways.

You can have just one scene and move the camera or change the background.

You can have a separate scene for every level.

It will really depend on what type of game it is. Can you give more info?

Generally, since you are new, a tip: when asking a question on the forums, try to be as specific as possible, because that will enable people to help you more effectively.

apologies will keep that in mind thanks.ok so game starts.goes to menu and when i touch level select.i have an option between say 3 images.when i touch one it should take me to the main game with that image as a background so if i choose a dif image it will have that image as the background.now i know creating different scenes with specific background image.but wil this not increase recourses?or game size instead of just changing image?

regarding what type of game it is its a simple buble game where kids have to pop them s they flow up the screen with a score bar on top left

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

So if you select a background that will show up in a different scene you will need a game attribute. Integer type is fine. Call it background.

Where you are selecting the image you will need a rules.

If image type 1 is selected
    Change game attribute background to 1

If image type 2 is selected
    Change game attribute background to 2

If image type 3 is selected
    Change game attribute background to 3.

Then in the game scene in the background actor

If game attribute background is 1
    Change image to (whatever you want)

If game attribute background is 2

If game attribute background is 3

Adding more scenes won't make the game considerably larger. That is only images, sounds, etc.

A new scene is basically a text file, so very small.

In terms of the logic, to begin with, having three scenes is the simplest. You simply have the scenes with the background and three buttons changing to the correct scene.

If the gameplay is the same in each scene, make one scene only first with all the logic. Then copy the scene two more times when it is done and change the background for each.

This will save a lot of time and work.
    You can complete a scene and then duplicate it.
    Change the few things that are different for every level!!!

@pHghost said:
    Adding more scenes won't make the game considerably larger. That is only images, sounds, etc.

A new scene is basically a text file, so very small.

In terms of the logic, to begin with, having three scenes is the simplest. You simply have the scenes with the background and three buttons changing to the correct scene.

If the gameplay is the same in each scene, make one scene only first with all the logic. Then copy the scene two more times when it is done and change the background for each.

edited March 2017

And the benefit of finishing the whole scene first before making the further ones, is that you will get more familiar with GameSalad and then can do it the way @Toque suggests -- which is a lot more concise and a step further on the ladder of working with GS logic. If you know what he is talking about, do it that way to start with. But if you are a bit confused what he means, play with GS a bit more before that. Mess around, explore.

damn sorry for late reply.i have 4 daughters lol. but i have done as u guys suggested and have came to a desired outcome thanks allot to both of you for helping.and have published the very first version how ever i hit a snag on installing it but that's off topic,thanks allot for all the help.

4 daughters..... no im sorry!

coinsidently i just figured out my other package failed to parse problem also it was the minimum sdk level had to change it for my apk to work it seems.

@Crimzinsnow said:
    i have 4 daughters lol

Sweet! Is the game mainly for them?

yip it is for a start im currently on other projects with unreal engine 4, but game salad 2d aspect appeals to me and faster to create games.