Difference between "Play Music" and "Play Sound"

Hey all! I am currently adding sounds, but I am having some troubles with the "play sound" behavior. I added sounds into my media file and under the "play music" behavior the drop-down box shows the sounds I attached. Under "play sound" the drop-down box is empty.

Are the sounds supposed to be saved under a different file type? I am currently using .m4a

Thanks all!

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Play sound behavior only lists sounds imported as "sounds" Music names for imported as music.

Sounds should show if imported in MP3 format. You can covert online if you don't have audio software.

• ingamezingamez Member, PRO Posts: 41

Hey there! I have one sound as MP3 format and it still does not come up on the drop-down box. Any other tips?

Thanks!

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

When you import a sound/music file, you have the option to make it Music or Sound file within GS. I am not sure on what file types are supported for each.

If you choose a sound file, it means you can adjust the volume/pitch etc. This is meant for sound effects.

A music file is played in the background. It will carry over to different scenes. You can loop it, pause it, resume it.

When you import a file, you will need to decide what it's purpose is and then select the relative option.

Best,
    Two.E

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Music streams through the device's codec chip (no preloading). Sounds are decoded and loaded into memory to be played.

Music is not loaded into RAM, it's streamed from the device, 'loading' your music tracks should take precisely 0 seconds !

(Source: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/586979/#Comment_586979)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited August 2017

@ingamez said:
    Hey there! I have one sound as MP3 format and it still does not come up on the drop-down box. Any other tips?

Thanks!

1)Save project. Close GS. Restart. Load project. Check for sound file........

2)rename sound file. Drag in. choose "sound option" check list.

3) Assume sound file is corrupt. Load sound file into audacity. Check it. Export MP3.
    Reload into GS with a new name. Choose "sound" option. Check list.

4) Start new GS project. Empty no rules. Just add that sound and check list.....

5)screw it and get a different sound.

Those are the first things I would do. (in that order.)