GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In case you missed it on Facebook...

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
...I have a little sneak peak from GameSalad that might interest some of you. As I mentioned, this was previously shared on our Facebook page (follow us there for more future sneak peeks and other great updates!):

Enjoy!

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• rePlayrePlay Posts: 23Member
    That's fantastic if the games can be ported to Android..
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    Good to see on progress but what about loading and ram usage issue which other users are facing? any updates of that?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    Thats great SSS. Saw it on Facebook but its still cool to see again.
    creativeapps said:
    Good to see on progress but what about loading and ram usage issue which other users are facing? any updates of that?

Can we possibly try not to hijack every single thread where something cool was accomplished with all of the other troubles people are having. I understand the frustration of having issues but clearly this thread is about one specific new development. Its just plain rude to hijack every single one of these types of threads with a "but what about this problem i'm having"

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• CannonFodderCannonFodder Posts: 230Member
    Interesting, can't wait to see more :-)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    That's great for GameSalad but , no offence, Gamesalad has to decide if it's a software development company or an app developer. You have the foundation of a great piece of software and it seems you are hunting for ways to make money, which is totally understandable. From a developer perspective, build a great piece of software with a great interface with layers like Photoshop or Apple's motion and if you sold it for say $300 or so, I would gladly pay that for software and comeout every year with a new updated version like the rest of the software developers and I would pay to upgrade. The glitchiness and the jagged workflow of the interface needs work. Straighten that out and you should have a solid company moving forward. Focus and decide. Software company or developer. Many of us are building businesses around your software and are will to pay a one-time fee to purchase a version and pay for upgrades but first you have to decide what you are.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    tenrdrmer said:
    Thats great SSS. Saw it on Facebook but its still cool to see again.

Can we possibly try not to hijack every single thread where something cool was accomplished with all of the other troubles people are having. I understand the frustration of having issues but clearly this thread is about one specific new development. Its just plain rude to hijack every single one of these types of threads with a "but what about this problem i'm having"

@tenrdrmer I know as Sous Chef you are always talking in favor of GS. Dont matter its right or wrong.
    And I am appreciate GS Dev for this success. People have right to ask question and they are getting frustate after spending $500 they got bugs and crashing issues in each updates.
  • KrogothicKrogothic Posts: 123Member, PRO
    That is great news, I do understand the frustration with the cost for pro and poor quality of updates. I hope it gets better. Until people start seeing value for the hard earned money we spend this will continue to be an issue.

It would be good to see some footage along with this )

Thanks for the hard work and the update ! There maybe light at the end of the tunnel after all.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Posts: 8,188Member
    dsouza41 said:
    That's great for GameSalad but , no offence, Gamesalad has to decide if it's a software development company or an app developer...
    Many of us are building businesses around your software and are will to pay a one-time fee to purchase a version and pay for upgrades but first you have to decide what you are.

I see them as a platform holder and a developer.

A bit like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are platform holders but also invest hugely in internal development teams.

They even publish stuff too!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: http://www.quantum-sheep.com

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    creativeapps said:
    @tenrdrmer I know as Sous Chef you are always talking in favor of GS. Dont matter its right or wrong.
    And I am appreciate GS Dev for this success. People have right to ask question and they are getting frustate after spending $500 they got bugs and crashing issues in each updates.

First of all I do not always take GameSalads side. When they do something I think is wrong Yodapollo hears all about it. Way more than the small complaint I make public.

Secondly Yes you have all the right in the world to ask, But… There is a place, and that place is your own thread or a similar thread with concerns about that issue. Not hijacking a thread about a new feature/achievement.

I think this is awesome not cause I care even slightly about Android publishing. but because it is a step forward that will likely ultimately make pro a more valuable subscription in the future. Hopefully they make it pro only of course.

I also disagree that GameSalad should not be developing with their tool. an internal team who's jobs is to make games with the SDK is gonna be one of the best ways to know how the tool is working. its like having a group of real GS users in across the hall you can bounce new ideas off and have push the limits at your every request. I think its smart they have an internal game team.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomPosts: 3,987Member
    cool... great to see a sneak peak of whats happening at GameSalad HQ...

Don't know a great deal about the Android Marketplace, only that its a big mess. Hopefully the Amazon Kindle Fire will make the amazon app store a big success (with its approval process and decent hardware) and have our games up for sale on there too.

Exciting times...

(Feel free to share some insight into other things, especially how in app purchases might be implemented...and how we can start designing our games ready for it... :-).. I thought it wold be worth asking...
    I see them as a platform holder and a developer.

A bit like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are platform holders but also invest hugely in internal development teams.

They even publish stuff too!

Point well taken. As a counterpoint, those companies were well established in their foundational structure before branching out as well. Microsoft had an established platform and Sony and Nintendo were foundationally hardware companies who wrote development platforms for their hardware, apples and oranges a bit. Although, I concur with you overall point of view, I'm just expressing the optimism of how great your product will become!

As someone who holds a well established franchise, Kate Gleeson's Little Beasties, which sold 5million copies of children books with Golden, we are using GameSalad as our development platform and we are betting our future with you guys. All I'm refecting is on others who have big bucks invested in the success of your platform.

Dave
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    As Tenrdrmer indicated, this is not a venue for complaints or criticisms of business models or development. There are plenty of ways to share feedback and request answers to development questions - some posted here in this particular forum.

This threads intention is to share exciting upcoming release information - and not the release of an game/app. ;)

As further indicated, yes, GameSalad does have an internal development team. The purpose of which is twofold - to provide a venue for companies approaching GameSalad to develop something for them, as well as allow us to learn internally how to create and innovate using our own software - which we've been doing quite well. This teaches and informs us and helps us to better identify potential logic issues and a myriad of other points - as well as allowing us to learn and grow as a unified team, where no one is left in the dark on development concerns.

All that being said, please relegate your complaints/critcisms to the appropriate threads. I do appreciate feedback, as does GameSalad as a company - but recommend it be placed in the proper channel.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    This is brilliant news!! Is android publishing gonna be available for free or pro? or has this been decided upon yet? (When i saw this video i was so excited i just ordered a motorolla xoom)
    SaladStraightShooter said:
    As Tenrdrmer indicated, this is not a venue for complaints or criticisms of business models or development. There are plenty of ways to share feedback and request answers to development questions - some posted here in this particular forum.

This threads intention is to share exciting upcoming release information - and not the release of an game/app. ;)

As further indicated, yes, GameSalad does have an internal development team. The purpose of which is twofold - to provide a venue for companies approaching GameSalad to develop something for them, as well as allow us to learn internally how to create and innovate using our own software - which we've been doing quite well. This teaches and informs us and helps us to better identify potential logic issues and a myriad of other points - as well as allowing us to learn and grow as a unified team, where no one is left in the dark on development concerns.

All that being said, please relegate your complaints/critcisms to the appropriate threads. I do appreciate feedback, as does GameSalad as a company - but recommend it be placed in the proper channel.

You are correct, will do so.

Dave
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    I love the subliminal Android placement at the end there.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Posts: 2,090Member, PRO
    Nice! Subliminal Android!

Would love to make games for Android 2 :D
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Posts: 877Member
    Just incase anyone missed it ;D

Photobucket

J.O
  • TobyToby Posts: 478Member
    Yes noticed that single frame at the back of the video, Android publishing .... that's great news.

Anyone done any android publishing before?

This also means I'll have to buy an Android device for testing..... or can i get away with the SDK emulator?
  • mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    this is cool. more please! :)
  • 3xL3xL Posts: 676Member
    what about the main issues android is known for? FRAGMENTATION? is GS gonna have "device" options? like galaxy s2, Nexus, etc etc.?

just a thought. :p
  • 3xL3xL Posts: 676Member
    i wonder how well this will go with androids horrid fragmentation :/
  • ARandomDayARandomDay Posts: 124Member, PRO
    The nice thing about Androids "Horrid fragmentation" - is the 500k+ devices activated every day.

My company is trading off the back of Android development and while there is an issue of Piracy (same as iOS) the trick is to release quality content and release at a price people will be willing to pay for your game / app.

In game Ads within Android apps are a brilliant way to earn money and I hope this is taken into account by GameSalad (im sure it as they are a clever bunch) and hopefully more than one Ad vendor is included.

Publishing onto the Android market place is (imo) easier than waiting for Apple to perform their checks and their upload / app signing is far more straight forward - so thats a good thing.

Just remember to take a long hard look at what you intend to release on there and be sure to justify that .99c / $1.99 price point otherwise it would be all for nought esp when you could release with ads for free = less piracy.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Posts: 159Member
    Toby said:
    Yes noticed that single frame at the back of the video, Android publishing .... that's great news.

Anyone done any android publishing before?

This also means I'll have to buy an Android device for testing..... or can i get away with the SDK emulator?

device - the sdk is not great at all. im lucky that i started on an android g1 when android first came out so ive always been a supporter and i can say that trying the sdk emulator i was very frustrated geting it to work correctly (on windows) - using processing i have bundled up stuff for android but as yet not setup as an android dev as ive been too busy.

this is great news for pro users as we will get an extra outlet to potentially make money from.
This discussion has been closed.