GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important information regarding Apple, version 3.1.3

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited December 2011 in News from the Dev Team
Hello all,

It has come to our attention that a major decision is being made by Apple in regards to ceasing support for devices utilizing 3.1.3.

This would mean that 3G and older devices not compatible with 4.0 would no longer be supported by Apple and result in any applications relying on this format potentially become nonfunctional.

While we cannot say precisely when this may occur, it's the our understanding that this is imminent and Apple will likely make this move during the first of the year. Some 3G users may already be experiencing issues as a result of this decision, including the inability to access the App Store from a 3G device.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, but wanted to make sure you are informed about possible changes to your development.

(Reference: http://www.businessinsider.com/app-store-blocked-2011-12)
Cheers,
-SSS

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    Guess i'll be off loading my 3g as fast as possible. :P

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,204Member, PRO
    edited December 2011
    When you say armv7 only games... does that mean people with older device won't be able to purchase(with the option checked)? or it simply won't show up in the store on their device?
    if armV7 only is checked it will not even be visible to incompatible devices when they access the app store.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @SaladStraightShooter The article you referenced doesn't say specifically that Apple will completely drop support for older devices. What happened to the store was apparently only a bug that was already fixed: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/20/on-device-app-store-downloads-currently-broken-for-pre-ios-4-devices/

For older generation iDevices it will be as it already is now, meaning that Apple won't push new firmware updates for them. The App Store will be working as always and the owner of old devices will still be able to download apps that support also armv6.

edited December 2011
    @MarkOnTheIron - That is incorrect - while that article is not definitive in terms of the other information I provided, I assure you that Apple is most certainly no longer supporting 3G devices or older. This decision was made by Apple, and unfortunately we have no control over it. We are already receiving reports that users of 3G devices are unable to access the App Store as a result of this change.

As such we offer this post to inform our members.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited December 2011
    Apple has already dropped support for older devices and that is a given fact. However the speculation that older devices won't be able in the future to access the App Store is only based on a momentary bug that is actually being fixed (see the update part on the Macrumors article).

What will happen is what probably is already happening now, meaning that it will be the single developer that will autonomously decide to stop developing applications compatible with older devices.

I appreciate that you wanted to give this information to the users, I made my post just to avoid some of them to be too scared because your post seemed to me a bit too drastic and definitive. I suppose that as long as there will be a considerable number of older devices being used Apple will continue to offer some services (like some of the Stores) to them.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    edited December 2011
    Why does this surprise anyone? If you've been around tech for any length of time this is quite common. In order for tech to move forward there comes a cut off point as with power pc. If you can't adapt you're in the wrong business. In building any tech based business the golden rule is "be on the cutting edge or be left with the bleeding edge. This is the fact of life in tech! We are already living that rule by producing armv7 apps and our website is pure HTML 5.
  • muveemuttmuveemutt Posts: 83Member
    (Didn't read every comment) Wow, It surprises me that they would be leaving 3G completely (most of the country is running on 3g). Example: Sprint and Verizon offer 4g and their newer customers (on Sprint) pay for it. Some pay even if 4g isn't available in their area (lawsuit going on behind that I believe).. Thing is, it still isn't available in ALOT of areas of the US. I think it's one thing to keep up with the times, but it's quite another to just cut off a large portion of customers and make them upgrade and renew... This reminds me of the baseball strike a few years back... by the time everyone decided to "get with the program" people were watching other sports.. baseball has never been the same. (I doubt that will happen to apple, but it does open a door that is not so easy to shut.) Good to know though and now the issue I had with my computer is clear to me... I was running 10.5.8 a few weeks ago and I couldn't access the app store at all, it wasn't until I spent $$ on not one, BUT TWO new op sys's (10.6 then the new 10.7) just so I was able to get the latest version of Xcode through the app store.
    @muveemutt

They are not abandoning 3G as in the service they are dropping support for the iPhone 3G as in second gen devices.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    It's all about the chip sets and their ability to handle the math. Many people upgraded to the 4s. Apples customer base has always, even before it was cool to buy apple, been the most loyal with a return buy rate of over 99%. I've owned apple products since the beginning, I'm 46 BTw, and it's always been this way with apple. They stay on the cutting edge not the bleeding one.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    But iPhone 3G can run iOS 4.2.1, right? And this information is about 3.1.3. Am I missing something?
  • ozboybrianozboybrian Posts: 2,102PRO
    No need to apologise, definitely not GS's fault.

I think that's Apples way of just getting people to upgrade to be honest. Money hungry, but smart marketing.
    edited December 2016
    I think it's Xcode versions. Xcode 4 only works with armv7 devices and newer

@tendrmr 3g means third generation as 4g implies fourth generation, but I see what you're sayin... the same thing they did with 2g (second generation) phones years back. Got it! (1st gen phones had a backpack extension or something like a purse attached to em...2g was next level because they didn't... geez I can't believe I am old enough to remember the suitcase phones LOL!)
    Ok see this is where you are dead wrong.
    The iPhone 3G is in undisputed fact the second gen iphone 3GS is the third and iPhone 4 is the 4th. Leaving iPhone 4s the you guessed it. 5th gen iPhone. It doesn't work like all the iPhones where the name matcha the generation they just kinda go with whatever feels right at the time.

Your confusing model names with generation names. Do a quick google search on what is the second gen iPhone.

This whole thing is still everything to do with the iPhone 3G(second gen) and iPod touch second gen

Cheers

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Im selling my old 3g now!
    Its my 4S all the way!
    Thanks SSS!
    edited January 2012
    @tendermer you may be right... I mostly have experience with Sprint.. I used to manage one of their contracts through an affiliate call center. So, yes iphone is new to me... hec to tell the truth I have never even used one (SHH don't tell anyone tho). So thanks for the clarification ;-) ~she says... promptly taking foot out of mouth~
  • Rob2Rob2 Posts: 2,402Member
    This was just a temporary app store glitch for devices stuck on 3.1.3 (typically 1st gen and people who don't want to update for performance reasons) and has now been corrected.
  • DreamGamezDreamGamez Posts: 12Member
    hi

i want to know why my games doesn't run on 3GS AND IPOD 4 ?
    it's a big probleme for me
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @DreamGamez - I'd recommend contacting support - that's a bit vague, and if not directly related to the issue which this topic was started for, off-topic.

• MotherHooseMotherHoose Posts: 2,456Member
    for Tech companies … it is more a question of "Do you want your engineers working on the old? or developing the new? "

for game developers … "Do you want to make your product to run on older devices? or current and near future devices?"

I like progress and am glad I don't have to use floppy disks anymore!

@};- MH
  • expired_012expired_012 Posts: 1,802Member
    edited January 2012
    Does this mean we no longer have to worry about keeping our app size below 20mb for 3G downloads?
    No this means its not really as important to keep developing games for 2nd Generation Devices. Nothing to do with the 3G data Service.

This discussion has been closed.