GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AppStore services !!!! What is this ?

SharkawyDevSharkawyDev Posts: 225Member
edited January 2012 in Off-Topic
Hey all,

A guy from some company contacted me and offer me some service , see below.

- AppStore rating and reviews : 50 ratings and 10 reviews for a 99$

The price increases with more ratings and reviews for sure.

Is this thing real ? And how they do it ? Shall I proceed with such a service ?

Cheers

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,380Member, Sous Chef
    It's a scam, and if apple finds out you are gaming the system they will revoke your account. Stay away.
  • SharkawyDevSharkawyDev Posts: 225Member
    edited January 2012
    @jonmulcahy , @saladstraightshooter , OMG that's a serious issue then.

But I noted something; that he sent me on the email that I added in my GS profile info, so I guess that means this guy is a member here. I can provide an information about him if a Chef asked to , maybe for tracking or something.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    Might not necessarily be a scam. Its a marketing practise used by many of the larger publishers on the store.

Apple tend to shun it publicly, but dont really do anything to stop it. I dont think theres anything really they can do about it.

Basically the companies offering these services have a large pool of users that they get to download the game, paying for the downloads through the fees they charge the developer. End user is happy to get a free game, service provider gets their cut, and the developer gets a boost in sales/ranks.

Whether that boost is worth the cost, is another matter. For some it will be, others it wont. And yup, theres probably quite a few sharks out there too.
  • SharkawyDevSharkawyDev Posts: 225Member
    @chunkypixels , they mentioned that the app should be free at the time they will do the process, so they don't pay for it
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    @a.sharkaway ...similar system still.... just theyre making more profit out of it if the game is free.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    Its not always a scam but it is more than unethical.

Also the least they could do is buy the game to help bump your ranks.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    @SaladStraightShooter I got the reference! Why did the parents always send their kid exploring with Dr.Smith? Robot should have been yelling "Stranger danger! Stranger danger!" :D

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

This discussion has been closed.