GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    @codemonkey
    Was just going to say the exact same thing! :)
    I personally think we should play play haven by air and see how it goes with games and the customers point of view....
  • CloudsClouds Posts: 1,599Member
    edited February 2012
    I think basic (non Pro) members should only be able to release free apps, and they should be rounded up once a month and beaten with sticks.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    @tynan - yup thats the intention of how it will work, even if the user goes and buys a 2nd game, at some point they will try yours, if your game is great, they will keep coming back regardless. If they prefer the game they download to yours then thats there opinion and if they didn't like yours much, they would of only went and downloaded a new game anyway. The other alternative is they just hit no thanks when the screen pops up and they carry on to play your game.
    @tynan
    No... Thats abuse...
    I suggest Beaten with metal rods :D
  • Rob2Rob2 Posts: 2,402Member
    Oh you delightful Irishman it's 'ear' not 'air' that people play by :)
  • PixelPunPixelPun Posts: 324Member
    I have been trying to find examples of what the ads will look like does anyone have a link or something? If it pops up in the beginning and it isn't something that is always on the screen then that isn't so bad.. I can't blame GS for trying to fund themselves..
    @pixelgun... Its on page 3 or 4 of this thread...
  • simo103simo103 Posts: 1,331Member, PRO
    @codemonkey .. appreciated ... have been trying to post reasoned thoughts for debate rather than stating a position as I don't know if I have one yet :D

@LeonardDeveloper .. I appreciate you stepping forward to offer your next game as a test to see if first impressions and reviews kill it before it gets that all important first few days of momentum. Please keep us all updated so we can put this matter to bed!
    @tynan .. I would actual pay to be beaten with sticks .. can that be a new pricing tier :D
    @simo103
    :P Where the hell did I say that? :D

@simo103
    @tynan .. I would actual pay to be beaten with sticks .. can that be a new pricing tier
    Don't be silly then GS would resort back to the 2000 price... thats to much of a royalty
    @LeonardDeveloper ... lol :D ... oh I didn't read your post clearly .. you used the 'royal we' ...
    @simo103
    haha yeah lol! :)
    No I'm gonna update my GBounce app tonight so it will be the first GS apps to have the ads.. :P I know... Im stupid... But I'm winging just for the splash...
    I actually don't mind this... We get our own splash screen, plus if the game is good then in a month you can just buy they full version of GS. I really doubt an Ad would hold back a truly great game from making money.
    edited February 2012
    @pixelPun
    OMG your name is Pixel Pun??? :P What happened to pixel gun??
    EDIT: Im thinking of different person.. :P
    Yeah I don't mind it either
  • SAZ_1SAZ_1 Posts: 397Member
    @grandtotal ... im sorry to hear we're going to lose a dev in all of this, maybe you could just keep making games in with the software and wait till you have enough to publish with pro, that way you could launch multiple titles at once? ... this situation is like itunes free christmas gifts app... lol... i felt everything they released during the 12 days was pretty much crap BUT it was free! so you can't really complain... if your making money of something thats free then thats a seriously big bonus from GS, no one in this day and age gives away anything for free.. GS play haven model is a lot better then others (although i wouldn't want it in my app either) but for that they've given you the pro feature
    lol not sure about pixelgun I bet it wasn't available as a website..lol
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Posts: 361Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    Hey not all pro members are bad. I'm a pro member, but I am a little shocked at how rude and elitist several pro members have been acting. This community is looking more and more divided but this is the internet so I expect negativity in most forums. Although this little free users vs. pro users fiasco is pathetic.

I personally think that a "no thanks" ad is better than a GS splash but I'm not a free member, so I'm not who this is targeted to. I do know there are negative views associated with GS and this will help solve that for free users who make quality games so they aren't associated with GS. That's a shame that it is that way. However, their rep might get better if they focus mainly on improvements(collisions, GC achievements, joints, overall performance, and etc) and if they find a way to stop "members" from posting rip offs in the App Store. Anyways that's all I have to say on the update, my main feedback was on my first post about the Android audio/lag issues. Back to work and back to researching other options. My tea is getting cold. [-X

Edit: One more thing....speaking of ads....maybe Gamesalad should put ads on these Release posts since they get so many impressions.... You can paypal me the money from that idea later. :)

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

@futureNewbApps I agree... I would have traded custom splash screen for a no thanks ad a long time ago..
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    I think there's a general consensus that if you offer something for free and later on adding advertisement on it, of course users will be upset, the same way that GS has invested significant amount of time and money on development, so has the users, investing their time and "decision" to learn the platform. It would be the same as making an app that had no ads to attract massive amount of users, and later on put an add in it... you are bound to loose traction..

the more sane way to monitize is to introduce new features that is "in app purchase" just as you did... and have the free member pay for "new" features that wasn't there before... you did it for your software why not apply it on your own business?

also, I firmly believe usings Ads to promote users to pay is a bad strategy, as you are giving people bitter taste in their mouth first and then offering them sweet water to relief them(and saying hey we are giving away bitter drinks for free)... of course you'll get "passionate" response...

I don't think it's that hard to figure out... simply, aim to crate a more valuable (functional or perceived) product for pro members, and stop developing new free features(ok some people is gonna have problem with that too, but at least they get to keep what they sign up for)... i mean c'mon you guys have i dunno 50 people on staff? it's not exactly rocket science...

ok i've spend too much of my valuable start-up time.... hope you guys take it to heart what the users are saying.
  • SAZ_1SAZ_1 Posts: 397Member
    @ultima yea a more rigid business model would be great, maybe allow free users to just purchase certain aspects, so if they want playhaven removed then pay something like $10 to GS... i doubt they would consider something like that though :P
    edited February 2012
    exactly... and i don't think $10 or even $50 is too much to ask for... multiply that by amount of free users you have... you'll probably make more than ad revenue... (or maybe not more because there's the long term potential.. but if users ditches the platform there's no long term to speak of) try not to cannibalize your own product / business /market guys...
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    I said this before and I will say it again. People are so concerned with a single ad at the beginning of a game they are overlooking he fact that free users have the abiliy to establish a brand. If you don't understand how important this is, you need to do some research. branding your own work is one of the most important things you can do, and having your own splash screen at the beginning is a huge benefit for free users.
  • Rob2Rob2 Posts: 2,402Member
    @Jon I'm just worried where the focus of GS development will be.
    edited February 2012
    branding is more than just a splash screen(or a logo for that matter), it's every single little gesture you do, and having an ad will CERTAINLY effect your brand one way or another, i don't want to spend too much time on this, because i'm not even a free user... just voicing out my opinions. imagine yourself a brand new BMW with a bill board on top of the car inside showrooms... and tell me that doesn't effect the brand... sure you can take it off after you buy the car... but... that's not something BMW is willing to do.. that's just not how they brand their cars.

now if carmax were to do that... sure... it is consistent with their brand

but anyway, i'm not saying free users are selling bmw... just the fact that... GS needs to think over their decisions carefully before trying to fight the mob, the mob always wins in recession because they don't have other things to do. and things gets ugly... that being said i'm gonna withdraw from the "mob" here... and move on to more pressing matter.

p.s. free users always had the ability to brand their own game.. even before this version update... ok that's enough... see u guys...
    edited February 2012
  • mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    @jonmulcahy assuming of course GS don't change tac again and remove the splash feature on a whim. People are having some issues with trusting GS with there development direction. It could change at any time and leave you up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Most people I think would find a 3rd intermediate payment option acceptable. about $99 for some aspects of pro membership. I think the community want it.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    They have said before that they are working on removing lua from the picture and using a straight native compiler which will give us performance like the official sdk which will be monumental. That with read write tables will be such an improvement, gamesalad won't even seem like the same application.

But those development avenues cost money, and it was a calculated move to integrate play haven so they can hire more people to bring these new features faster.

When lua goes away, prepare to see some truly epic gamesalad games , and with free users no longer being bundles in with the **** templae stealers, it's going to make everything better.
    edited February 2012
    it takes months for ad revenue to roll in by the cents, it takes days for free users to pay up to remove ad =) take your money and run with it GS =D one that they do it with resent. and one, they do with pleasure... now which is a better choice? hum let's see here... (i'm beginning to feel that GS is one step ahead of all this and things are rolling out as they had planned, or at least i hope that they are this brilliant. )

nothing against you Jonmulcahy =) just opinion differences.
This discussion has been closed.