GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    edited February 2012
    @jonmulcahy I think people do understand the importance of building a brand.

I think a lot of people just dont think that having an advert at the beginning of their game, that could have no connect with the game (kids game with poker ads for instance), or ads for a load of crap games, really helps to build a brand.

At least with the GS splashscreen followed by the developers splashscreen users can associate that as the tool the dev used.... and its not as intrusive. Having an advert for something that you have no working relationship with, or control over, just doesnt sit well with a lot of people.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    Yup as Jon said above ... can't wait :)
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    @beefy_clyro yes he's right on that... i can't wait either.
  • mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    I do buy apps that I use in a business/ hobbist way. I actually prefer it as the 'free' type software is usually flaky and your opinion means squat to the developer. The exception to this is wordpress which seems to have done the impossible.

It's just that $500 per year is very expensive compared to even something like photoshop. $500 as a one off payment is still steep. I personally don't understand the subscription based model for this app, it's not like spotify. its an editor to create games. I wonder if it's ever occurred to GS that they might earn a lot more if they just cut the price?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Saz_1 - In regards to Kiip for international, in most cases it will simply not show an ad. There are some territories where ads will display - Some ads work for the UK, for example - but in most cases, no ad. :)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• CloudsClouds Posts: 1,599Member
    edited February 2012
    Ok, I've read everything that has been said and have come up with what I think is a better business model.

Basic Gamesalad users - will be rounded up once every two months and from their number one person will be selected by counting the amount of spelling mistakes made on the Gamesalad forums, this person (can basic users really be said to be 'people' ?) will then be sent to one of Gamesalad's forced labour camps, as this basic user is dragged off to his fate the watching crowd will be monitored for enthusiastic cheering and clapping, the person who appears most enthusiastically obsequious will be given a 'Pro' account and have the tracking device removed from their neck brace. Anyone in the crowd seen crying (or otherwise distressed) will have an ad for Angry Birds tattooed onto their forehead and then savagely set upon by the crowd (with sticks), the person giving the most fervent beating gets made a 'Sous Chef'.

Pro Gamesalad users - will be allowed home at weekends to see their friends and family, they will be given extra food rations and be allowed up to 5 spelling mistakes a month on the Gamesalad forums.

It's complicated, but I think it can work.
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Posts: 109Member
    I'm rather amazed at the negative feedback here... rather endemic of the app store I'm afraid. Everyone wants something for nothing....

Its simple. Gamesalad need to make money to exist. No income, no Gamesalad Creator - then none of us get to make apps...

J
  • aarioaario Posts: 256Member, PRO
    @Tynan hmm.. this could work ;)

@JamesLewis Exactly! Everyone needs to just calm down and realize what they are getting. So there is an ad at the start of the game ..who cares? The user presses no thanks and continues on with their life while you free users are puling your hair out. Personally if I bought a game there is no way I would ignore it just because of some ad at the start.

@SSS Thanks for the update, I'm now trying to figure out how I should incorporate Kiip. Keep it coming! :)
  • chaleychaley Posts: 226Member, PRO
    TSB is right. If no one wants to pay for GS, then they will not be able to continue. It's a problem that I've been seeing a lot these days. No one wants to pay for anything anymore. Ask yourselves how you'd like it if you were trying to make money from your game, but people were acting offended and off-put by the idea of paying you for it. Would you just give it away if people felt entitled to it? Some software companies make you pay thousands up front and then an additional $500 a year for upgrades.

Sometimes in life... If you want services... You have to pay for them. Period.

That concept seems to be truly lost these days.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    Clearly Tynan should be the new GS 'ideas guy'.

I remember reading that when facebook guy first put the feed in so you could see your friends' updates, he got a massive barrage of complaints. This was when it was still uni based. But then he also noticed that user activity went up and people were clicking around on the site a lot more. Naturally the complaints got ignored in favour of improved user engagement.

Draw your own conclusions.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• POMPOM Posts: 2,599Member
    edited February 2012
    @TSB
    +1
    Well said..
    Roy.
  • simo103simo103 Posts: 1,331Member, PRO
    well there's a lot of things to be thankful for ... it seems that at least most agree that free users can and should voice their opinions, free users can still publish with the older version if they wish and see how this plays out in the real world ... might be a big non-issue and in which case I hope GS makes a bundle .. but also if it is an issue we'll likely know soon enough to have this conversation again.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    edited February 2012
    Trying to build a brand for yourself and your company is very important. Trying to do it completely for free is futile. If you are a free user, like myself, you're going to have to make a decision on whether or not you are willing to invest in yourself, and get your product out to the masses in the manner in which you choose. Going Pro gives you the freedom to do that, but being a free user….well, it does that for you too. Okay, so there's an ad at the beginning of the game. GameSalad took this direction because it is going to help them as a company. Im glad I can help them do that, because their free tool has helped me become a full time developer, and yes, even make money. If I can't help them out by going Pro right now, then I'm glad as a free user that I can help them still make a profit.

It's a trade off. Remove GameSalad splash screen (which believe it or not, is an ad) so you can have your very own personal one, for a one time displayed Playhaven ad. Not a bad deal for something that hasn't cost a dime. It's really just switching out one ad for another, and giving you the option to have your own splash screen. If you think about it, what has actually happened is free users have now gained the ability to display and promote their own brand. They are just using a different ad that will generate profit for them instead of an ad that was hurting them, and the developers. It's win win!

$500 for Pro is a lot of money, but if you are serious about your business and yourself, it's a bargain as far as overhead costs are concerned. Wanting the tool for free, and wanting to have the same privileges as someone that invests in themselves and GameSalad, and getting upset because GameSalad is now making a profit off of Pro, and free users is a little self entitling. GameSalad is growing, and growth costs money. They make no money from free users, and now they have a chance to monetize from us. That's a good thing, actually. It keeps them, and us in business. I hope they make huge profits from it. I hope they are able to build rec rooms with pinball games and ping pong tables for when they take breaks. I hope they make enough money that they can run an "1-1/4 line from Starbucks to their kitchen. I hope they make enough to hire more people, and double the size of their company, and employee population. And so do you.

If having an ad after your custom splash screen seems unprofessional, and you believe it makes you and your brand look unprofessional. There is a Professional version.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also like cheese.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• SAZ_1SAZ_1 Posts: 397Member
    @sss thanks a bunch for that, I'll maybe give it a go then, added incentive for the users I guess...
  • syncdinsyncdin Posts: 31Member
    It's nice to have the custom splash screen for free users. But how about a pay-per-removal option, per game, or pay-per-publish / removal for free users? This enables GS to make additional revenue, and make users who don't want the ads happy as well.

Since there is no filtering on the GS user end, regarding which type of game ads will be displayed, this could be a big issue for some users. For example a zombie game ad appearing in a game for toddlers would be not cool.

With the GS splash screen, users knew what to expect. There should be at least a genre selection on which type of ads will be displayed.
  • mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    edited February 2012
    +1 to @synncdin idea of pay-per-removal option ideal for an app.

The only issue I see with this is it could devalue the pro account so that less people want to sign up for that.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Posts: 159Member
    Ive said it before and ill say it again and probably get some more dm saying well said and probably more whiny kids moaning about theft/piracy and paying for things

//

If you were a plumber and wanted to make a living you would need to buy 'tools' to enable you to do your job. Those tools would need 'replacing/maintaining every year' to ensure you were up to scratch - you may also need training etc. If you fixed stuff well and timely you got paid well for it - if you were **** you wouldnt get much work.

Now replace plumber with Games Developer and change fix to design/create/sell

Thats generally how life and business works for us self employed indie freelance (insert title here dependant upon country of origin)
    //

In short - you want to do a good job, make a living, have people know your brand. Pay for your tools to enable you to do this. Get training. Learn. £1 a day with current conversion for a tool. F**k me my coffee can cost more than that in a morning. If pro went up to £1500 then i have 2 choices... change career and not pay or pay for the bloody tool that i use to do my job to look after my family. I wouldnt moan on a forum about it. Id make better games that earn me money.

If you want a fun hobby making games that anyone in the world with a device can download and this hobby doesnt cost you a penny for tools then you have found the right place. as TSB pointed out - no other tool can publish to iOS for free right now.

Yes you dont like it - you cant afford it etc and you want people to BUY your games ? ? What type of person are you then.

PS

And you know what people - if you are using GS Pro .. as a freelance self employed in the UK then 'software costs' are in part tax deductable (not 100%) - so technically you are getting them free anyway because it comes off your tax bill as it makes up part of costs associated with running your type of business. Anyone UK need any clarification then let me know if you are UTR registered with HMRC

And if you are making money from your games then you had better be registered self employed or as ltd company - otherwise you my friend are potentially committing fraud
    @arcticsunrise

"Get training. Learn. £1 a day with current conversion for a tool. F**k me my coffee can cost more than that in a morning"

Yep ! The cost of Pro is not unreasonable all things considered (where the hell are you getting coffee for a quid !? Where do you live, 1996 ? ;) )
    edited February 2012
    OK, new business model, I think this one sorts out the majority of the concerns raised in this thread without compromising the main goals of the Gamesalad platform - as well as addressing long term stability and profitability issues for Gamesalad, who are, after all, a business.

Everyone is forced, naked, into an aircraft hanger, Pro and scum alike are forced to fight to the death as the Sous Chefs and Gamesalad overlords look on laughing contemptibly as they gorge their hideously distended bodies on boiled down 20 dollar bills and the tear softened skulls of baby doves.

?
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    edited February 2012
    @Tynan - That wouldn't be fair. I have had years of training in aircraft hanger combat. Well, at least I have woken up nekkid in aircraft hangers, clutching 20 dollar bills, covered in blood, with doves pecking at my bits and pieces.

I don't know if that counts or not.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    If I'm not there start without me..
    edited February 2012
    @SlickZero

"That wouldn't be fair. I have had years of training in aircraft hanger combat. Well, at least I have woken up nekkid in aircraft hangers, clutching 20 dollar bills, covered in blood, with doves pecking at my bits and pieces"

Did they release lions towards the end ? That's an essential part of my business model, to release lions towards the end.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    i live in sparta. lions have nothing on me! as long as you don't release beautiful woman i'll come out of the hanger alive.
    I wonder if this thread will hit 1000. I want to see if the numbers go that high.
    edited February 2012
    In what was a difficult, divisive and contentious thread we seemed to have reached consensus, aircraft-hanger-combat it is.

This could get ugly. I mean Every nude beach is always filled with ugly people I can only image the crowd at an aircraft hanger. Ewwwwww.
    edited February 2012
    "This could get ugly. I mean Every nude beach is always filled with ugly people I can only image the crowd at an aircraft hanger. Ewwwwww"

I am not for a moment suggesting it won't be an ugly affair, it will be filled with every conceivable horror from the grotesque to the merely unpleasant, but this is app development country, you've got to toughen up and get naked or get out of town.

Do you think the developers of Cut The Rope got to number 1 without stripping down and going man-on-man with thousands of other desperate rope-cutting app developers ?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Guys, while the levity is very much appreciated, maybe move this enlightening discussion to a different thread outside of the official release thread. ;)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

edited February 2012
    The horror of it all, I'm having flashbacks of reacuring playhaven ads. I must have playhaven derangement syndrome or fear of being smothered by a three hundred pound developer butt. Sorry SSS was writing before you posted.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    edited February 2012
    "Do you think the developers of Cut The Rope got to number 1 without stripping down and going man-on-man with thousands of other desperate rope-cutting app developers "

True true. It's a well known fact - that Vestebacka guy from Rovio had to mud wrestle the CFO of EA before they were allowed to hypnotise free thinking adults all over the world into buying plush toys and t-shirts of Angry Birds.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

This discussion has been closed.