GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @MotherHoose - I can understand your feelings on ads, but it's not a persistent ad system. There is only one ad, after the splash screen - no reoccurrence after the user proceeds past it. I don't mean to be harsh by any means, but ambience is rarely defined at the splash screen.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MotherHooseMotherHoose Posts: 2,456Member
    Well … Splash screen?
    what is it there for? what does one define it as … a brand? … isn't it there to create an impression (literally a definition of ambience!)
    a brand to let the player know who made this and what they may know from past … this logo cares about making good games … We go to a lot of bother making that splash intriguing … taint that starting things off with good feelings?

and what does the PH ad do? … tell the player that they might want to play another game… instead of this one?

I know from family: the kids just love the GS videoSplash … and smile when they open a new game with that first! that is ambience! … they know the game will be like Mimmie's and fun!

@};- MH
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    In lieu of price restructuring - which is a possibility in any business with competitors - the Playhaven ad system was introduced as a way to allow you to continue making games if you cannot afford Pro. You're essentially handed the keys to your own development studio with GameSalad. No other development kit offers that and allows you to publish and make money without any cost outside of an Apple developer's license - which, again, we don't control.

We understand that competition is the nature of things - and we welcome competition because it makes a company adapt, like GameSalad is adapting - in this case, by including a single ad for - as I've stated previously - users to continue to enjoy the benefits of this powerful tool, for free.

The GameSalad splash screen is not an ad, and while it was entertaining, we received overwhelming criticism for "forcing it" upon free users for quite a while now. So providing the option to brand your game - again, for free - can't be overlooked.

I will reiterate - even basic users have a cost associated. It's unrealistic to assume we can rely solely on Pro licensing as a way to keep developing at the level we are. Especially with thousands of free users taking advantage of the tool, each with that same associated cost. Publishing, storage, bandwidth.

There is no good option here - but this option still leaves the keys to that development studio in your pocket.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Rob2Rob2 Posts: 2,402Member
    edited February 2012
    Why don't GS get it. Going free was the biggest mistake you guys ever made. Some number cruncher has told you that the best way forward was to harvest a few cents from every app user rather than develop a solid tool at a good price that ALL your developers pay for.
    @Rob2 - not being free would alienate our base of users who agree with our premise that we should be "Development for Everyone." Your suggestion is noted, but it's unlikely we're going to strip the tool out of the hands of people who can't afford to pay for it, much less license Pro.

• mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    @sss "The GameSalad splash screen is not an ad, and while it was entertaining, we received overwhelming criticism for "forcing it" upon free users for quite a while now."

Now we see the alternative, I think there will be an outpouring of gratitude if GS reverted back to the original GS splash screen.

It is possible for GS to get the balance right on this and I hope they can tweek the current price structure and make the majority happier and earn themselves more $ to boot.
  • mELTINGsKYsTUDIOSmELTINGsKYsTUDIOS Posts: 158Member
    Question about Kiip. Do the award/Achievements fire every time the action is triggered, or only once per achievement?
    @Meltingskystudios - Only once per achievement.

• mELTINGsKYsTUDIOSmELTINGsKYsTUDIOS Posts: 158Member
    @saladstraightshooter

Thanks, I was wondering because it is firing every time in preview. That saves me some coding. You guys are awesome, keep up the great work!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    @saladstraightshooter
    Just a quick question
    With a pro account can you set up an iAP that triggers a boolean that is connected to getting rid of play haven & iAds ??
    Also another quick question @saladstraightshooter
    Is it possible, Legal even, To have an iAP to unlock kiip achievements?
    @LeonardDeveloper - no, that isn't possible at this time. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the potential legalities to comment on your second question appropriately.

• JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Posts: 372Member
    Wow, didn't expect to see this many posts in an update announcement thread! My 2 cents...

I'm a free user. I've been using GS for almost a year as a hobby game developer and have released 3 games (1 paid, 2 free). To me, the addition of a Playhaven ad at startup in place of the GS logo is fine. I totally understand that GS needs to make money to stay in business. I would think following the business model that Corona has established (free to use, $199/year each to publish iOS or Android, or $349/year to publish both) would bring more revenue than $500 Pro licenses and Playhaven ad revenue from free users. But hey, I'm no bean counter.

My main concern with the Playhaven ad is if the content of the ad is appropriate to the app it is attached to. For example, all my games are rated 4+ in the App Store. They are made for all ages. If I publish a game rated 4+ with a Playhaven ad, it would be wholly inappropriate if a Playhaven ad popped up that featured scantily clad women, gambling games, violent/bloody games, adult-rated games, etc. @StraightSaladShooter Do we know if Playhaven factors in the App Store age rating when it displays ads?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Posts: 602Member
    Jeffrey I ask the same question earlier. No answer yet.

My main concern with the Playhaven ad is if the content of the ad is appropriate to the app it is attached to. For example, all my games are rated 4+ in the App Store. They are made for all ages. If I publish a game rated 4+ with a Playhaven ad, it would be wholly inappropriate if a Playhaven ad popped up that featured scantily clad women, gambling games, violent/bloody games, adult-rated games, etc. @StraightSaladShooter Do we know if Playhaven factors in the App Store age rating when it displays ads?
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    We are discussing with Playhaven the categorizing ability for ad placement and the age appropriateness of the ads that are currently part of the referral system. If you are personally seeing issues with scantily clad women ads, etc- please share screen shots with Customer Support so we can investigate each situation further. Just know that your concerns are shared with us and it is something we will investigate for further clarification. And again, any concrete evidence would be helpful. Thanks!
  • CloudsClouds Posts: 1,599Member
    "If you are personally seeing issues with scantily clad women ads, etc- please share screen shots with Customer Support"

. . . . and me.
    @LaurenSalad I have personally not encountered this scenario with one of my games (since I haven't even downloaded 0.9.91 yet!). It was just a hypothetical situation I can see possibly being a big problem if it is not taken care of with Playhaven. I'm glad GS is looking into it.

@Tynan LOL
  • BobDBobD Posts: 374Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    Off the wall idea!!
    What if GS tracked the revenue they made from Playhaven for each FREE user. When GS has made over $500 (via Playhaven) from a FREE user they will upgrade them to PRO for a year. The FREE user who is now a PRO can republish his game and remove Playhaven for future sales. Or they can keep Playhaven and get 100% of the revenue which could help pay for next years PRO fees. My only problem is creating a game that can make $500 for GS via Playhaven. Win Win for both GS (makes money) and FREE USERS (chance to become first class citizens!!).
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    @JeffreyShimane , @JoeMeister, and @All-
    We immediately brought the concern to Playhaven's team and have implemented a solution in regard to the use of inappropriate/unsafe for all ages ad content within Playhaven's referral system.

PlayHaven has identified two ads that are considered not for appropriate for children. One is the ad for Valor HD that was posted on the forums earlier with a scantily-clad woman, and the other was for a gambling site/application. Playhaven will be providing GameSalad a list of all of their ads shortly so that we can continue to monitor content on an ongoing basis.

In order to remedy this situation, this afternoon Playhaven wrote a script that scrubbed all current GameSalad developer accounts of those inappropriate content ads. Starting tomorrow, that script will run automatically every hour, thus protecting new accounts from those ads.

We believe that this is a short-term solution. GameSalad will be working closely with Playhaven to set up flags in the API to screen out ads that we deem inappropriate content, and they are also working on improving technology that will allow them to see the rating (age) of the game from the App store and send only appropriate ads. We will convey more details about this long term solution as they become available.
    Thanks for the swift action, LaurenSalad and GS!
    ah … ultimately, how can we submit an app to iTunesConnect with a PlayHaven ad and not violate our agreement with Apple?

" 3.3.24 If You choose to use the Advertising API in Your Application, then You must enter into a separate written agreement with Apple and/or an Apple Subsidiary before any distribution of Your Licensed Application may take place via the App Store or VPP/B2B Program Site. "

or has GS negotiated on our behalf … this agreement with Apple?

@};- MH
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited February 2012
    @MotherHoose I'm 99.5% certain that's only for iAds, as there are separate fields you must go through to enable them for your app in iTunes Connect.

Or was that from PlayHaven's terms and service agreement? If so, I can imagine it's already taken care of as GameSalad is currently acting as the middleman between us and them.
    hope that is so @RacetotheMoon

but ads is still ads … Apple wants control over app ads …
    hence their continued banning of CPI units and advertising … and, the phasing out of UDID …
    thus blocking their ability to verify click-thrus and track device owners identity and purchases

think Apple just has to get a heads-up on PlayHaven CPI

@};- MH
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member
    Honestly, after reading Lauren's post about the actions taken with PlayHaven as a short term fix for the age appropriate content issue that was coming through on some ads, I'm feeling very concerned.

This is something that should have been figured out way before implementation. I'm happy action is being made quickly and it's seen as a major priority, but this makes my stomach drop a bit. I'm not going to make assumptions here about the reasons behind unleashing a new monetization method without having every corner of the room covered, but it comes off as rushed. I understand that at times we all miss the most obvious of things; it's just that this is a doozy in my eyes.

I know for certain that the GS team is doing a lot of hard work to make things happen for the company and for us. We as a community should (and do, despite how it may seem sometimes) help smooth out the road when it gets bumpy. GS is a startup. As a startup, they are on shaky ground and it's up to everyone to help build the foundation that will allow it to grow taller.

I'm going to make a suggestion here because I know it will be read, but I don't desire any response to it: Please look at and consider relative decoy price tier effects and their potential benefits.

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

I NEED AN ANSWER... IVE GOT AN UPDATE ROLLING AND READY TO GO... PLEASE ANSWER @SALADSTRAIGHTSHOOTER @LAURENSALAD
    ah … ultimately, how can we submit an app to iTunesConnect with a PlayHaven ad and not violate our agreement with Apple?

" 3.3.24 If You choose to use the Advertising API in Your Application, then You must enter into a separate written agreement with Apple and/or an Apple Subsidiary before any distribution of Your Licensed Application may take place via the App Store or VPP/B2B Program Site. "
    ?????????????????
    @tshirtbooth
    Thanks mate!, Early on the forums today? :) I think I'm gonna leave my update for a while then......
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Posts: 316Member
    So what happens when someone makes a really bad or offensive app and Playhaven advertisers get mad because their games are being associated with such rubble. Is GS going to ban that user from publishing further apps? Oh wait, that would violate GS policy that GS is game creation for everyone (which would include even people making rubbish I guess h). I am willing to bet GS will be faced with this dilemma sooner rather than later. I guess they could at time of publishing make offending users games not capable of displaying playhaven ads. But then wouldn't that be rewarding bad actors for bad conduct and in effect punishing good actors for good conduct (believe me that is how it will be perceived by good actors if that scenario ends up happening). This scenario is a disaster in the waiting for GS. They need to add a middle priced plan ASAP to help mitigate this problem that I think will happen very soon given the obscene number of rubbish apps being published. By the way I always thought the slogan game creation for everybody meant it was so easy anybody had the potential to make a good game (kinda a play on the Rattattoue (no idea how to spell it) movie by Disney "anybody can cook" i.e. a great cook can come from all walks of life. I did not think the GS slogan just meant, heck anybody can publish a game without putting effort or investment into it. But I guess that's what they mean since the free thing appears to be the most important thing to them. Come on guys. Just make it free to try but charge a lower yearly mid tier to publish to mobile devices and Mac.

(FYI, I totally understand the playhaven move by GS; they gotta make money and there are not enough pro subscribers to keep up with their burn rate . It was just very poorly thought out and poorly implemented. But I'll bet they would make way more by charging $99/year to have the ability to remove playhaven).
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Posts: 602Member
    @JeffreyShimane , @JoeMeister, and @All-
    We immediately brought the concern to Playhaven's team and have implemented a solution in regard to the use of inappropriate/unsafe for all ages ad content within Playhaven's referral system. ...

Thanks. Much appreciated.
  • geniusdudegeniusdude Posts: 9Member
    edited February 2012
    @Tshirtbooth
    I like gamesalad as much as the next guy but how do I tell my users (paying users) that they have to see an ad before they get to what they paid for?
This discussion has been closed.