GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• geniusdudegeniusdude Posts: 9Member
    Also its about time GS starts making cash on their creation.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    @genuisdude

Theres one ad before the game even starts, there is no ads whatsoever in the game. Ive asked a bunch of people that are really into mobile gaming over the past couple days, not one of them care about a game ad before the game starts on a paid app. What pisses players off is having ads in game threwout the whole thing, blocking play area, ect.

They also view the refferal screen along the same lines as a games by us screen, where it shows other games by you with links and what not(which alot of paid games have) rather then an ad. Its not like a car or shampoo advertisment is gonna pop up before the game starts.
    Good thanks
    I will solve this problem by offering a free level pack, I suggest every one do this to.
  • FogelbergFogelberg Posts: 103Member
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/02/mobileapps_kids.shtm

Having ads in games or apps made for kids is about to become a very bad idea...
    Lots of discussions about this in the kids apps developer community right now.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    @Fogelberg - Cheers for posting that article. Here's another one which relates to 3rd party services like playhaven http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/iOS+5.0/news.asp?c=37961

So those kind of things are out of our hands if we use the services. I guess it's up to GS to make sure the 3rd parties are doing things right. But of course if you release a game it's your responsibility what happens in that app irrelevant of what software/services you use.

My next update had a couple iaps in and the playhaven ad too, so I'm probably taking it out of the kids category.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• BobDBobD Posts: 374Member, PRO
    Questions -
    1. If you are currently PRO and you publish a game with Playhaven and you let your PRO version lapse will you still get the money or will GS get the money from future Playhaven ads?
    2. If you are currently PRO and you publish a game and your PRO subscription lapses will your previous published game start displaying Playhaven ads?
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited February 2012
    @BobD answers to your questions.

1. If you let your Pro subscription expire, and you've not removed PlayHaven integration before that time, then yes, GameSalad will start to collect the money earned. This is why they're insisting on being the middleman. I personally hate this tactic and will probably not be using PlayHaven or Kiip as a result. If a third party is going to be integrated into one of my products, then I want to be the one having the relationship with them.

2. No.
  • calebdomingocalebdomingo Posts: 93Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    Questions:

1. If you purchase the PRO account, is the Playhaven Screen turned off by default? or do you have to turn it off manually?

2. If you need to turn it off manually how do you do it?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @appsiedaisies - If you are a Pro user, starting a new project and accessing the monetization features will show them as the default "Off". (There is a simple checkbox located in the same tab as Kiip to turn it on or off, with no further implementation needed or steps needed to disable it if you choose to do so)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• calebdomingocalebdomingo Posts: 93Member, PRO
    Thanks for the response SSS!
    So the Playhaven Splash Screen won't be seen BY DEFAULT when i'm a PRO user?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @appsiedaisies - that's correct. :)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    I am getting a second 'squashed' version of my splash screen right after the first splash screen disappears. Kiip or Playhaven is not enabled but looks like some kind of brief 'stub' where it would be. Anyone else have this issue and is it known?
    Thank you RaceToTheMoon
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    Splash screen works fine for me, both iPhone and iPad version.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    hope 0.9.92 gets here soon with some features that'll really excite us.. probably won't publish until then (well since i'm in development anyway so doesn't bother me)
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Posts: 308Member, PRO
    @Tshirt I brought this bug up to support and they said it was a bug that could take a while to fix. They told me: a workaround is to check both portrait images for the splash screen when you publish (and no landscape) and it works for me...However my game is in landscape and then when gamecenter comes on it is in portrait : (

So I check all landscape modes and portrait mode (made a rotated version of my splash screen) and what happens now is it displays properly, has a little "hiccup" and moves a pixel or two left (probably when it would have rotated) and then starts fine. Hopefully GS is addressing this issue!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    edited February 2012
    @thsirtbooth I agree that it is BS fix the damn thing already! man GS get a clue you're affecting our businesses or don't you guys and gals get that? Although, tshirt I do disagree on one point, I think it's one step forward and two steps back..lol. As they broke the splash and when there is an issue like this they tend to turtle on communicating to the community.
    Looking into this in addition to responses you've already received, which may have been a bit premature. In any event, I realize this is frustrating, but I ask for your patience while I get a better determination and investigate this issue.

@tshirtbooth - if you haven't already, contact DD.

• MotherHooseMotherHoose Posts: 2,456Member
    logically the PH behavior is in the build …
    as proMembers, if you chose not to use it … that means it wont feed/display an ad … but the PH behavior will still run and will still be affecting your game display …

this should have been visible in alpha testing … if an app was tested on devices

ah, well, pro peeps can always regress to 9.9.0 … as the most of us have …

and, hopefully by the time this is fixed … Apple will have blocked/thwarted CPI :>

@};- MH
  • lovelostlovelost Posts: 7Member
    Yep my test app is in landscape too. I've tried the workaround (just add portrait orientation splash screens and only portrait support) but the result is the same -- after the splash is displayed correctly, a squashed version is displayed briefly before the first scene is called. This screws my demo up because my first scene animates the "objects" in the splash screen, and the visual effect is destroyed by the squash.

I can't regress to a pre-make-money-from-users version because of the version checking in project files (so I'd have to build from scratch). Not a good move for pro users who are trying to use GS to create interactive mock-ups for clients.

(Pro account btw.)
    edited February 2012
    @MotherHoose - "...but the PH behavior will still run and will still be affecting your game display..."

This is incorrect. Per the programmer for Playhaven for GameSalad, "There is no Playhaven Behavior. It is code in the start up process, and it executes before the game even launches or initializes, therefore it is physically impossible to interfere with your gameplay."

edited February 2012
    @lovelost, @tshirtbooth, @all - the splash screen issue (specifically the issue in which the splash screen flips and flattens its resolution) is in the publishing binaries - we're working to fix it now and should be able to push the fix quickly with all due haste. (Estimating 1-2 days tops)

• squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    @SSS Cool, that's what I like to hear, thanks!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    @SSS officially giving you one step forward and tip my ten gallon hat to you cowboy!
  • CreativeRightCreativeRight Posts: 11Member, PRO
    Apple denied my app because it has Playhaven. Any one else get this???

WOW Not looking Good!! CreativeRight can you post what words Apple used to deny your app? thanks
    edited February 2012
    @CreativeRight - would you please contact support and forward them the information regarding your denial from Apple so we can investigate. We've received no reports from other users utilizing Playhaven who've already published, so this is curious, especially given the quantities of apps we've seen published.

• LujeinStudiosLujeinStudios Posts: 4Member
    edited February 2012
    (EDIT: Thank you for the heads up - we are investigating immediately.)
  • mrglocklingmrglockling Posts: 258Member
    After reading all 15 pages I dont think i want to update :( My ultimate goal was to get enough downloads to buy pro but all this is going to do is give me bad app reviews which will lessin my sales therfore not have enough for pro.
This discussion has been closed.