GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    @saladstraightshooter
    Can we please hav a seperate pricing plan to remove the app referrals?
  • gregr209gregr209 Posts: 441Member
    @jonmulcahy @morphinegamingmachine am I missing something? I realize this is a free service but with this new feature and having no other option but 500 bucks is a bit much...especially since in my case I was Pro and my membership lapsed during the icon fix. Most people HATE ads in paid apps but yet this forces me to either pay the 500 bucks for Pro or have an ad in my paid app. Just doesn't seem right. I NEVER had a problem promoting GameSalad via the splash screen even as a Pro user.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    edited February 2012
    well i'll just step in and say Im actually quite disgusted at this latest move.

As usual, GS seem to just change the playing field with their userbase, without any consultation. This is just an awful and cheap move to force Basic users to move to the Pro subscription.

I was waiting to see how the next couple of updates work out (writable tables,engine improvements etc) before deciding whether to renew Pro, but this kind of move, really makes me baulk at how GS come up with these new monetization features over actually improving the basic engine. Ive got a couple of games almost ready to publish, and was happy to publish with the GS splashscreen for now.... but with the forced Playhaven screen its killed my GS development stone dead..... I dont mind promoting GS while Im on the basic subscription, but forcing me to promote and be linked with products and games I have no connection with is something I cant work with.

Seriously... just communicate and work with your user base instead of just throwing these changes at us. No wonder we keep going through one GS Direct incident after another, and that theres so many GS users hanging around over in the iStencyl forums recently. Im betting your going to force more users to go elsewhere than currently pay 500 to remove the ads... which is basically what this new update is amounting to.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @all - the Playhaven addition is based on publishing Creator version, not on the publishing server. Anything published using 0.9.90 or below (within reason) does not yet include the new Playhaven ad, nor the ability to add your own splash screen. If you have games ready to go, but do not wish to utilize the new splash screen, I'd recommend publishing from the previous version.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@SSS what about the Mac icon issue? Don't I have to upgrade in order to publish to the Mac app store?
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Posts: 2,456Member
    edited February 2012
    ah, Jon, do recall you used GS as a free service and then paid $99/year for publishing rights … and no doubt along with the rest of us lamented/complained that Pro then cost $2000/year.

Thanx You for referring us to other free SDKs!
    Xcode is free and not as hard as some think … lots of the stuff you see in the GUI are files you never have to touch and are only there for the build/run …
    others charge about from 30% to 50% more than GS for publishing … and you can add the monetizations if you want … plus they are not buggy beta versions
    and as far as android creation goes MIT's App Inventor will be out of beta this spring!

@};- MH
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @gregr209 - If you are experiencing the "no icon/ 512x512" issue, yes. That fix is in the latest version.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@SSS Figures. It just seems so unfair...especially when I was Pro during the issue and now my membership lapsed. Oh well I guess I am just stuck. Thanks for the info.
    thanx for that important info about 0.9.9 … @SSS

makes me a lot calmer … I can just delete that 0.9.9.1 and not have to worry about PlayHaven taking over my game … for awhile!
    though no icon 512X512 is a bit ch ok ing

I do love GS … and hate shocking builds and policy changes that try to force me away from my love!

@};- MH
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    edited February 2012
    @jonmulcahy, It's still a stab in the back, cause a lot of people already invested a lot of time in their project, so even if they want to change an engine because of this, they simply can't. For me, for example, it's like throwing a year of work in dump.
    edited February 2012
    @imGua - you aren't throwing away a year's worth of work for the sake of not having an ad appear at the start of your game. It's not a persistent ad system - meaning, there are no further ad popups after the initial splash ad. Not to mention you gain visibility and branding power through a customizable splash screen.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Posts: 8,188Member
    The GS team know exactly how I feel about this, so I won't bore people here with all that.

However, here's a simple solution:

Why not offer a choice?

As a basic (non-paying) user, you can:

a) Use PlayHeaven instead of the GS Splash screen and also put your own splash screen in at the start (the current system with 9.91)

b) Keep the GS Splash Screen but no PH ads at the start (as it has been for years).

A simple checkbox would suffice, surely?

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: http://www.quantum-sheep.com

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    edited February 2012
    I think your painting a simplistic view of the situation Tshirt....

Theres lots of people who have been pro (mostly granted at the 99 price) who do want to go pro again, who dont want to waste the time theyve invested in the software, but who are maybe just reluctant to put the 500 down on a software that has consistently proved itself to be somewhat anti-developer friendly, with constant builds breaking things and the sudden direction changes that the company throws at its userbase.

Remember Tshirt... you have the companies ear... and you learn about these changes in advance, and have time to adapt to them. Most of the users dont have that luxury, and quite often, these changes really do have big impacts on the work theyve been doing.

Its not so much about Free or Pro... its about how these things are thrown at us, with no warning, or option. It makes it so that the user base cannot fully trust using the software. Most other software companies wouldnt do this kind of thing....
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Posts: 213Member
    exactly where do you apply the custom splash screen? on an adhoc build all i see is a black screen, then it goes straight to my game. no playhaven ad showing?

To be honest i prefer having this ad though. havnt seen it for myself so dont know how annoying it will be when game starts but id rather my users see that than see that ive built it with GS. This is more of an incentive for me to release my first game as a free user because the whole reason i didn't want to release it before was because of the GS splash screen. If you're that worried about people's attention being stolen by a game from an ad at the start of your game thus resulting in them leaving before even playing then maybe you need to consider making your game better?

For me, this is win.

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,204Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    try asking adobe to implement new features or remove the 30 day trial limit of the trial version. =) personally i like how corona uses free forever model until you need to publish then you pay up... (in that sense.../in comparison... GS is giving you free publish with a little ad in the beginning of your game) why complain?

i hope that GS pay back their investors soon so they can focus on making great platform that makes them money instead of always coming up with more ways to make themselves more short term profit.... a good amount of pro members would help.... so i say focus on listening to your pro members and making pro features more worthy of upgrading, then you wouldn't have issues of people reverting back to freee.

@SSS thanx for checking, i'll try publishing soon!
    @Thsirtbooth people don't like paying for an app and seeing an ad. If I made my app a lite app or a free app that would be fine. I wouldn't have a problem with the screen but when I am charging for an app I feel differently. I don't mind paying for removing the PlayHaven screen but I just think we need a different pricing tier for such. Plus in my case of waiting for the Mac icon fix I am forced into this if I want to publish my app that I had ready the second week of Jan when I was PRO and during the fix my membership lapsed.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    Whilst i don't agree with the prioritising currently with GS .. Engine rebuild has to be number 1 priority and then more features, joints, better collision, creator improvements etc. I totally understand why GS has done this and i think its a great move. This way, if you are using the free service, which allows you to build a game with NO code, publish it ready for submission via Apple, have NO GS branding, the least you can do is allow them an advertisement screen which in turn makes them a little money! For crying out loud, i think its absurd all the FREE users get all those benefits for FREE! Thats an amazing deal. Problem is, soo many of you are soo used to having it all for FREE now and kicking up a fuss about anything they do ... They are a business and they need to make money. If they get nothing out of it because you're a free user, you get all the wonderfulness, why is that fair? Step back for a moment, look at what you get ... its incredible ... just for an advertisement ... CRAZY!

As for pro pricing, $500 does seem too high for the lack of extra features, the only extra features just seem tied around money makers, personally, i'd rather not use Kiip, iAds, Playhaven etc and just have other features that will improve my game. i.e. Joints. My Pro subscription ran out this week and I'm going to be forced to renew as i have a game coming out soon which needs URL forwarding and GameCenter ... i don't have the money this month so its going to have to wait till next month. The point is, i want the extra features, i don't want Playhaven, i don't want to code ... what do i do? Answer ... Go Pro.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Posts: 8,188Member
    @tshirt

I don't want to argue with you man, you know I love you and your tshirty bits!

But why do you think what I suggested would make them no money? If it's a good idea, then people will go for the PH stuff.

If more people choose *not* to do it, then what does that say about their plans?

If the problem really is about making money, then yes, get rid of the 'free' version and make the base version $100. No issue with that.

Or make it so that you can use the free version as much as you like, but to publish to the app store you need to pay a one off fee of $100.

There are plenty of other ways to make money. Forcing ads on people would never be my solution!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: http://www.quantum-sheep.com

@SaladStraightShooter, yeah I'm not throwing a year of work, cause it's a year of work! There is no option for me right now. I will stick with GS no matter what, cause I need to finish that game. And about user perception. When in a paid app, almost first thing user see is huge advertising thrown in their face, it will made a lot people really mad. And even if it's not, the fist impression is crucial for every game, and with that ad, the for impression is basically ruined.
    edited February 2012
    ah @Tshirtbooth … me, I am willing to keep the GS splashScreen and will gladly pay $99 for no PlayHaven!

@};- MH

PS I really want GS to make money! … I see no contribution from PH, so why should they make money? For me the features in Pro just aren't worth $500 so why should I pay for them?
    @quantumsheep
    I agree so much! Even maybe a $120 subscription yearly to remove the ph ads or earn revenue from them...
    @tshirtbooth
    What you just said is highly corrupt...
    you don't want to pay for there service,
    Well actually, it's not a matter of want it's a matter of having the money, so don't undermine us as just not wanting </> the service.....
    Its like nothing GS does you FREE users are happy with.
    That is true to a point!, But last time I checked I seemed to have an opinion..... And here on the forums is where I'll voice it till it gets heard...
    -----
    overall, as SSS mentioned GS are thinking about a pro pricing redo... I think we need these or maybe a select features option or something like that, at the moment we need a compromise between to expensive and getting users what they want.., IMO if GS was cheaper or had select features they would get more buyers hence earn more money...
    Cheers,
    J,Leonard

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    Maybe 3 price models;

Free - Your own splash and forced Playhaven screen
    $99 - Your own splash and NO Playhaven
    $250 - Pro
    edited February 2012
    @tshirtbooth, no I can't. I needyear or more to finish the game. I don't think it will be possible to publish with 9.90 in 2013 :)
    Maybe $99 to remove splash and PH (or earn revenue from PH)
    edited February 2012
    @beefyclyro
    I so agree with your pricing re arrangement
    Free - Your own splash and forced Playhaven screen
    $99 - Your own splash and NO Playhaven/ or earn revenue from play haven
    $250 for pro
  • morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Posts: 449Member, PRO
    you shouldn't get to make money from ph for just 99

honestly they should just make joints and writable tables pro only and wha la better games by pro members
    The problem is NO matter how good your game is if a better or more interesting app gets displayed by PlayHaven and the user clicks to get it people might not come back to your game/app...no matter how good it is. Trust me I am more then willing to pay for GameSalad...but having been Pro for a year I have to say 500 bucks is just way to much. Didn't we have to pay for GameSalad a long time ago? Gosh I have been around here so long I can't remember.
  • morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Posts: 449Member, PRO
    well i am now part of the problem, we need to get back to the topic, not price tiers

i am interested about kipp, glad they have another pro webionar coming to tell me all about it
    edited February 2012
    The first impression of a game is crucial. That's why we've implemented the ability for free users to utilize a custom splash screen. It's unlikely a single ad is going to cause a user to throw down the game in disgust. I'm not trying to be combative here - but stepping away from my role with GameSalad and putting on my consumer shoes, I'm not seeing how this would destroy your development credibility.

Ads are part of gaming these days. I personally have played countless games - free and otherwise - that I have to move past an ad if it doesn't interest me. While a basic user does offer a paid app that sees an ad at the start, it was still free to develop through GameSalad.

edited February 2012
    @SSS
    Yeah!, but what were asking is isnt they're any other cheaper method of removing and/or gaining revenue Out of it..... IMO gs needs select feature style pricing or any kind of or pricing redoo... Is a pricing redo in the soup pots in the kitchens?
    IMO this is better than GS splash but.... It's still ugly IMO
This discussion has been closed.