GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member, PRO
    GS can do what they want with their software - the 'community' does not own the software and is not aware of the financial realities facing GS.
    Having said that Pro users paying for GS to allow for that revenue generation will only go so far if other functions and bugs are not resolved.

Basic users are along for the ride - if you pay nothing for the privilege then you gotta accept the destination.

I'd really like some more detail in the release notes on audio fixes for Android - I think the issue is higher on people's radar than Klip and Klop.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    @tshirtbooth
    Correct, Though people have rights to voice opinions on wether they think what GS did was good with them or not, GS doesn't have to change it but voices have to be heard
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @gregr209 - please see your PM.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    @all- Just wanted to remind everyone about the Pro Webinar on Thursday. We look forward to explaining the business side of our new monetization partners with you more and tips on implementation. Hope to see everyone there! http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/39689/0-9-91-professional-member-webinar-thursday
  • gregr209gregr209 Posts: 441Member
    @SSS Don't see anything...unless I am looking in the wrong place.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    @LaurenSalad - I'll be there.

@All - The sound delay has not be fixed, although, I believe it is getting better.
    I would think it's due able for games that don't have the same sound being set off every second, but still, can't wait for it to get fixed.

@tshirtbooth - well said. I agree with you.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Posts: 2,456Member
    ah TSB, remember some of those complaints about GS Direct ???

@};- MH
    @LycetteBros … how dare you complain about a lack audio fixes! …
    you got an update! and while it focuses on monetization that you will just be so eager to take advantage of , as you are a Pro member …
    you should be happy that so much work/time was utilized in implementing ways for you to make money, rather than on making your game workable.

GS can do what they want with their software … and you can do what you want with your audio problem!

@};- MH
  • megamoomegamoo Posts: 11PRO
    I think its important to consider that so far in this thread it seems no one is suggesting they are happy with the current free vs pro arrangement. It seems most in this discussion actually want to pay GameSalad for their service but dont require the professional extra features. It is not a question of "as it's free what do you expect?" rather than "accept we have got this (advert) because it's free, lets pay a fair amount to remove it".

In our apps we know the future is all about "in app purchase", when you buy what you want, when you want, so surely how can GameSalad ignore this in it's own business model?
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    edited February 2012
    I don't know why, but I'm imagining this "little guy" from GS logo, with two big swords. First is called "BETA", second is "FREE". And when GS community is disappointed with something, this guy immediately use one of those, and sometimes even both :D
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    @motherhoose

I paid $500 for gamesalad express the day iOS publishing was announced, pro was $2000 at the time. I've paid for pro since then.

I've never published with the free version.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    @jonmulcahy - a true gamesalader. ;)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    edited February 2012
    Okay, look the price of having any business is investment. If you want to control how your game is presented then pay $500 if you're serious about your business then this is the cost of doing such business. Nobody forces you to do a specific kind of work we all make choices on the ventures we get involved in. If you're a serious business person then you make the investments you need to conduct your business. Quit crying this is life and how things work, GS has been giving you a free ride to help them get going and now, like any business, they need to pay their bills just like you. The free ride is over and be thankful you got one in the first place and if you aren't serious enough to invest $500 in what you need to do to conduct your business then you need to find something else to do. Life isn't fair but those who push on become successful ,those who always make excuses get left behind, this is life so stop kidding yourselves already....
  • morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Posts: 449Member, PRO
    question to the chefs or anyone who knows

if pro can we choose to put the play haven symbol somewhere else besides the second screen? like the 5th screen, or just after leaving the game as examples
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    edited February 2012
  • Thanks Gamesalad it's great to see an update, a lot better than last year when updates were a bit slow coming! I personally feel this new method of splash screens is a great move as Gamesalad need these methods of monetisation to make a profit. It's frankly unbelievable that the people who complained about the GS splash screen are now moaning about these changes!
    edited February 2012
    I don't see the pic. :P
    I hope to brings out my true colors. ;)

EDIT: HAHA, very nice @imGua
    @Fry … it isn't the $500 … it is what the features are for $500!

oh, well you work in the industry at a good paying job for making games/apps with GS … so everything is fine from your prospective … did the company pay the $500 or was that out of your own pocket?

@};- MH
    edited February 2012
    So now the $500 feature is control over how your game is presented. I own the company so I paid it. My partner and I own the Gleeson Group and I own Frying Bacon Studios myself. I busted my **** to build these and other companies and at times borrowed money on my house and worked another job. I earned everything I have through hard work and sacrifice. I am a self made man and so I know what I'm talking about. Many in my family are self made entrepreneurs and I was traveling and working in my fathers electrical business at 12 years old and at 15 I was traveling to other states with my father's crews working all summer 70 hour weeks in some very rough conditions in industrial plants. I know what it takes to be successful and the hard work it requires. How you might ask? Because I live it, that's how! So one can take advice from someone who grew up poor and made it or ignore them the choice is yours. Life is hard I know because I've got some years behind me and I've dreamed my whole life to do creative work but continued in my blue collar career as an industrial electrician to make ends meat. So I would work full time and go to school at night and do any media work I could gather on weekends. Nobody is going to give you anything! You and only you control your destiny and once you can learn and except that premise you are on the road to making things happen.
  • jimjobejimjobe Posts: 1Member
    I do agree that GameSalad needs the ability to make money from their product.

Unfortunately, not all of us are pro developers. I have just used my spare time for the last month working on my first GS game, a relatively simple app geared for kids. There is no possible way I can allow intrusive ads at the beginning of my game when I have no control over the content. That can only result in neutral or negative reactions, not positive.

Complain all you want about us "basic" users not liking the model, but I started using GS because it was free and ad free. When the rug gets pulled out, I have to reevaluate the incentive. I personally would love the "pay to publish" model, or something similar; but neither current option is all that appealing.
  • mtinglemtingle Posts: 41Member
    Just to add my 2c for GS feedback.

As a free GS user I preferred the old GS splash screen. It looked fine to me, seemed kind of professional and I was quite happy to have this in exchange for using the GS system for free.

The new system imposing an ad for another service interrupting the flow of the game starting will make me either upgrade to pro or quit GS altogether and look for an alternative. Which direction I could not tell you at present. $500 per year is a lot for me personally.

The reason I don't like the ad version is it makes my game look VERY cheap. I also think if I was to buy an app that had such a start up ad I'd feel cheated to find a naff ad at the start of it and delete the app and give a less than positive review on the app store. I could not put my users through something that I personally find repulsive.

If there was a choice to have either the old method or the new method this would be ideal. Also if there was a moderate fee to have no ad screen this would be acceptable also.

Those are my thoughts as to the latest update. GS are free to change their business model, and I'm free to move on. It seems to me that only the pro users or sous chefs are in favour of the method. But what if this new method demolishes the free user base if there is a user revolt and people dash to alternative Game creation systems? This would not be in GS's favour in the long term so getting the feedback from the free user base is of course critical to GS and I would advise all the other free users to chime in with their opinion also.
    @Fry … you did a good job there with making yourself!

and, having seen some of your drive and effort and great results … don't think I was trying to fault you …
    not all here, are in the financial position you are, nor can they declare the $500 a business expense … can't deduct from nothing! …
    remember that some people are at the place you were years ago …

@};- MH
    ah @ImGua=))

and, where did you get the fat lady to portray me? or is that you stripped of your divingSuit?

@};- MH
    edited February 2012
    I know, and I told myself those same things I told them. The advice I give is the advice I gave myself and I got from other successful people. I sacrificed stuff to get here, like going out to dinner and no cellphone et.....You have to except reality to make it and can't fool yourself into thinking it's easy. Knowing it's not easy allows one to ask themselves; am I up to the challenge, is it worth it and how dedicated am I to it? If you're doing this as a hobby, it shouldn't matter about a small ad, but if one is serious about this then accept the realities because the higher you climb the harder it gets and the more sacrifices one has to make. It may sound harsh but the reality is harsh. If I lie to people and tell them,"oh yeah it's easy," I'm setting them up for failure and that to me is more cruel. I still work 10-12 hours a day in my studio and weekends, as well as stints as an industrial electrician to bring in income as our company is still growing slowly. I spend my energy on problem solving and finding ways to achieve not crying about things I can't control. I take the punches and move on fighting harder to succeed. Read anyones story of how they succeeded and it's usually a tough tale of hard work great risk and dedication. Learn that lesson now if you want to succeed because without it the odds are heavy against you and like the countless unnumbered you will quit on your dream. ONly the very few and very determined reach their dreams this is the reality of life just look around.
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Posts: 361Member, PRO
    The Android audio problem should have been one of key focuses for this update. At least add an option to go with OS 3.2 for those of us aiming at the Kindle Fire instead of the Nook Color. I'm a pro member and I don't complain much around here but I'm very disappointed this wasn't addressed. The audio/lagging issues are more important to me than these new monetization features. Make a great app without bugs, then you'll have a chance to make money(at a certain pricing tier or free with iAP). Making money in the app store can be done without klip and/or Playhaven, A LOT of developers have proven this. I'm glad GS is adding features but I just think priorities are a bit off.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

edited February 2012
    @Futurenewbapps my app is in the kindle fire store watch my video on a few simple adjustments you can make to fix it. This is exactly what I'm talking about! Instead of bitching at GS I found ways to make it work through testing and taking time to think about the problem and invent solutions. So basically I did the work for you and it's still not enough...lol In the real world your competition won't be as generous as some of us on here are in helping our competition.My video on the fixes have been around here for weeks now. A lot of people around here need a kick in the ****. Get off your lazy butt and get to work studying and working and asking questions and figuring stuff out. If you're not going to put in the long hours, you will not survive! You're in a competition with tons of other developers the gold rush is on and everyone and their brother is panning for gold right next to you. Learn from the lessons of history and other successful people. Work, work and then work more or get a 9-5 desk job and enjoy the weekends. It's your choice so choose.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/39692/video-android-sound-work-arounds#Item_1
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Posts: 3,190Member
    thanks GS for the update

and free users now don't have splash screen? interesting(can't read all 5 page, so if I am wrong please tell me)
    edited February 2012
    @Calvin9403 Read the release notes sticky. I love how life is serendipitous.....LMAO
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    +1 @FryingBaconStudios success does not come easy... (and i'm not quite there yet but, on my way...) but what bacon says about working out a solution on things you can't control is very true. I do bitch to GS from time to time on things that should have been fixed.. but i don't sit around waiting for them to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.