GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing GameSalad 0.9.93 Mac Creator Beta!

Comments

• BlazingApplicationsBlazingApplications Posts: 340Member
    Any news on exporting to windows?
  • CrestwoodCrestwood Posts: 80Member
    Awesome job GS!! Although there are some bugs, I think the updates are great.

I thought the BETA, was a pre-release for folks to try out and find issue, not the final release? I think some need to realize that.

Maybe my definition of BETA is different than others.
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Posts: 424Member
    Awesome job GS!! Although there are some bugs, I think the updates are great.

I thought the BETA, was a pre-release for folks to try out and find issue, not the final release? I think some need to realize that.

Maybe my definition of BETA is different than others.
    But, it's a paid beta. I think whom is a pro members, have rights to ask for solutions.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus

But, it's a paid beta. I think whom is a pro members, have rights to ask for solutions.
    No, that's reasonable - and we take that investment seriously and are working to correct these types of issues moving forward.

For the sake of fairness, though, it's important to note that you're able to make money on this Beta as well.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    Wow, and I thought that complaining is a national polish feature. Calm down guys, and carry on working - GS team is working as hard as they can to fix those issues. They want them fixed as much as you do.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    I must say it blows my mind people a throwing a fit the loading wheel sometimes doesn't appear. one of the biggest demands I have heard over the last 2 years is get rid of it.

@WildSnake its very naive and honestly a bit foolish to say gamesalad is pushing you away.

Its beta software and the main bugs we found in the pre-release seem to have been fixed. These are new ones. so now they have to go back and fix them too. once you spend some time building a game you will understand how tedious it can be squashing bugs. Each time you fix a bug there is the potential for a new one to appear.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Posts: 1,274Member
    Hmmm...

Plusses:

+Writable tables! Wonderful!

Minuses:

- Ridiculous amount of ads on the free version. You play for 5 minutes, and get 20 ads. This is it for the free version. You can no longer make games that cost money with it.
    - Certain animations on actors randomly stop working on ADHOC. Possible has something to do with the former (Example fading and diminishing block does not fade or diminish).
    - Random crashed on ADHOC. Possible has something to do with the former.
    - Automatic turning on screen randomly doesn't work. Possible has something to do with the former.
    - Loading wheels randomly don't show, or show on the wrong place.
    - Creator shows the "non-working ad" -screen on every scene change.

....Sigh.
    Agree. (Especially on the amount of ads) I can't imagine what the App Store customer backlash is going to be for a developer releasing a paid game with ads popping up once every four scenes. I make short arcade type games, so a customer of mine might see an ad every few minutes with no way to turn them off. (seems pretty frequent even for a free game)

Maybe I will go Pro, not sure yet. Those that are Pro that use these ads for revenue, can they control how often the ads pop up? 25% is way too often IMO.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited May 2012

Maybe I will go Pro, not sure yet. Those that are Pro that use these ads for revenue, can they control how often the ads pop up? 25% is way too often IMO.
    Pro users can determine which scene transitions utilize the ad system. (and can turn off the rest) They can't change the frequency, however. Pro's do, however, get an alternative method, "More Games" that can be added unobtrusively and without a popup effect. (though this is a requirement for free users)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Posts: 1,274Member
    edited May 2012

Pro users can determine which scene transitions utilize the ad system. (and can turn off the rest) They can't change the frequency, however. Pro's do, however, get an alternative method, "More Games" that can be added unobtrusively and without a popup effect. (though this is a requirement for free users)
    Okay thanks, that helps. That may be the way to go.

• scrapee_netscrapee_net Posts: 424Member
    Any ideal about when a new version with bug fixes will be released, as ipad resolution independence is not working? Or this can be fixed on your server, without releasing a new update?
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    edited May 2012
    That's why I love gamesalad - Gone for a day and something wonderful happens, Not so sure about the interstitial ads, coming between scenes would piss me off; a well, Time for an upgrade to pro anyway
    I must say it blows my mind people a throwing a fit the loading wheel sometimes doesn't appear. one of the biggest demands I have heard over the last 2 years is get rid of it.

@WildSnake its very naive and honestly a bit foolish to say gamesalad is pushing you away.

I know, Cracks me up, for a year now people have argued about the ugly loading wheel, and then when a bug appears that removes it all together they make even more drama about the situation..... Ironic

• iTopGamesiTopGames Posts: 71Member
    Brothers don't be upset about bugs, they all will be fixed, if you want to see the bugs away just be part of the solution and don't be part of the problem, send your reports and be patient, bugs will go away and GS will still being best choice to make our games, let's use this forum to ask and give help to everyone, don't use it just for complain.

I think the have done a really good work, i believe that a big part of the success is made by fixed mistakes and GS is a successful tool for all us.
  • crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FrancePosts: 519Member
    I like the update but i really hate the interstitial ads
  • artfishartfish Posts: 369Member, PRO
    OK. Awesome update, hope to get a fix for the auto rotating in the viewer on my device very soon. Landscape only auto rotates when viewing on my phone. Really Hate the ad message during preview. ughhh..

On a HUGE plus, my game plays faster than ever and the scenes load noticeably quicker. YAY!

On another side note, to pay 300.00 for a one year license for a program that is unreliable is somewhat frustrating to me. I know it's a beta, but you better be damn sure you save after make any changes. Lot's of random crashes here.

Over all, GS is an incredibly helpful tool to have if your not a programmer, just makes me want to smash it least once a day.

'Cheers!
    @artfish
    I have to agree with you that $300 for a BETA and as stated somewhat unreliable program is a big step, but let's face it, What software can you buy that is reliable? - how do we know adobe's not going to ad bad features into creative cloud in the morning.....
  • artfishartfish Posts: 369Member, PRO
    @LeonardDeveloper I've been a paying Adobe Customer for a long time. Adobe is a 1000 times more reliable. They have been around for years and have a giant staff of geniuses at their disposal. I understand GS is a much younger company. I got a good laugh when you compared the two companies. Like you said, Everything has problems. It IS however, ok to like something and hate it at the same time. Just saying. And as much as I hate using GS sometimes, The Love I have for it currently is stronger. I will continue to use it as long is it continues to improve.

Much Love to GameSalad and staff, I do appreciate what you're doing. That's why I give you money.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Posts: 1,246Member
    100% agree, I only wish the bug was more consistent and the wheel would not be there :D

I understand the logic of being compliance with Apple, but it should be the App responsibility and not GS. In the same way that other games add a loading screen or message, GS developers should do the same and not be forced to have a wheel (at least have a pro option to remove it).

I actually also liked the older bug of the purple wheel, it fits my game much better.

but this might be a bit off topic...
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    wait am i missing a memo somewhere? what's this "full screen interstitial" i'm seeing on my screen?
  • BluSpyderBluSpyder Posts: 129Member
    wait am i missing a memo somewhere? what's this "full screen interstitial" i'm seeing on my screen?
    No, you missed about 5 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again. Try again.
  • uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited May 2012
    forced adverts = lame
    woah! Que the paparazzi! @ORBZ has appeared!

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

Reconfirming this, per the webinar - Pro members can adjust the frequency as well as the previous answer. (instructions are in the webinar if you're curious - it should be posted for view soon)

@SSS,

Sorry, what I mean is do pro users have full control now over where Playhaven appears, as you mentioned you can select which scene transitions. Not for the free version. I.e. as a pro user, if I turn on Playhaven, can I incorporate Playhaven into the rules with booleans? Sorry, it's late here haven't managed to give the new creator a whizz ;)

Edit: I note you wrote otherwise, I presume that's a no for pro users also
    Re-visiting this - it sounds like, as a Pro user, you *can* disable the ads via IAP now. (instructions are discussed in the webinar that will be posted soon if you were unable to attend.)

edited May 2012
    This I a deffinatlely a deffinatlely upgrade to pro so, I hope we'll get a couple of new nice goodie features,
    But I like the idea of the "more games" style ad in pro

@saladstraightshooter
    Can we customise the text in the "more games" as I'd be afraid users might think it was "more of our games" or "More games by this developer"
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    @LeonardDeveloper - No, I believe some asked a question like that in the webinar today.
    It'll bring up other games that have Play haven, not necessarily your games.

I bet you could make an actor image that says "More PlayHaven games", though.
    @braydon_sfx
    I believe you mis-read my question, I didn't ask how to display my games, I asked of we could customise the text for the playhaven show games as, I doubt that you could Create a custom actor button for "more playhaven ads" as it's all synced with PH, So I'd presume it's done through click-to-button technology,
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    @LeonardDeveloper - Yeah guess I did, sorry!
This discussion has been closed.