GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing GameSalad 0.9.93 Mac Creator Beta!

Comments

• vicentealvarezvicentealvarez Posts: 17Member
    edited May 2012
    A small tip for pro users.
    If you want to disable PlayHaven interstitial for users that have done IAP, crate a rule.

If "game" is "full" (or similar)
    ---change scene without ad
    otherwise
    ---change scene with ad.
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    @SSS,

Sorry, what I mean is do pro users have full control now over where Playhaven appears, as you mentioned you can select which scene transitions. Not for the free version. I.e. as a pro user, if I turn on Playhaven, can I incorporate Playhaven into the rules with booleans? Sorry, it's late here haven't managed to give the new creator a whizz ;)

Edit: I note you wrote otherwise, I presume that's a no for pro users also
    Re-visiting this - it sounds like, as a Pro user, you *can* disable the ads via IAP now. (instructions are discussed in the webinar that will be posted soon if you were unable to attend.)
    Thanks SSS, though I believe they said in the webinar, the exception is the 'more games' cannot be removed once incorporated. I haven't had a chance yet to use the creator, @vicentealvarez, have you tried this?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Chobbiface - that's correct - "more games" stays once activated, but is less obvious than the interstitial ads and can be excluded in favor of the other ad choices if it became an issue. :D

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    @SSS, yup was not overly keen on using it before, but am overall much happier with the greater control over Playhaven now for pro users, will definitely look to incorporate it, esp. with some of the stats they showed us :))
  • ellfireellfire Posts: 187Member
    @SSS any word on the AdHoc iPad 3 builds are not using the Retina graphics? Sure the PlayHaven interstitial thing is a pain in the keester, this being broken seems a lot worse.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    @Wingnology where can i print these pages that you are referring to? my dot matrix printer bogged down... when will game salad be fixed? ;)
  • spaceneedlespaceneedle Posts: 93PRO
    This Interstitial Ad Display bug is really annoying and quite obvious within the player. Can you please test things a little more before making a release?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @SSS any word on the AdHoc iPad 3 builds are not using the Retina graphics? Sure the PlayHaven interstitial thing is a pain in the keester, this being broken seems a lot worse.
    QA and the devs are working on a solution now - I will update ASAP.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• WildSnakeWildSnake Posts: 19Member
    Well. I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss this but everything is so close connected to each other in our little world. ;)

Salads, have you measured what would be the price for the system where developer can get rid of any forced outside advertising?
    Thanks!

PS And following by some rude comments on my first post I just like to add for sure. I like the package and a lot. I believe it's very solid product with bright general idea. So I just ask the questions to understand where it all goes - not to offend anybody anyhow.
  • ellfireellfire Posts: 187Member
    @SSS Good to know. Thanks for any updates you may have.
  • husherhusher Posts: 31Member, PRO
    edited June 2012
    Im a pro user, and I recently uploaded to the new version. Is there anyway can I turn the ads off? Thanks GS
  • battleduckbattleduck Posts: 105Member
    Hey, i think there is enough being said about the issues currently being resolved, but on a positive, i've just noticed one of those small changes, that i'm glad to see.
    When inside an actor there now appears a small (X) next to the actor image, allowing you to remove assigned image from the actor and revert to the stock blank square. If i'm not mistaken, the only way round this before was to delete the image files to break the association. Nice.
    (I'm still flitting between 0.9.90 & 0.9.93, and never used .92, so sorry if this isn't news.
    BD
  • WTDeveloperWTDeveloper Posts: 352Member
    Hey GS Team,

i really waited a long time for this update and was excited,when i heard about the new update,but when I read about these annoying ads in the free version i was really disappointed and stopped downloading the new update.I really liked the one ad after the splash screen.Theses games you can sell,but games with ads every time you change scene you can't. It would be really cool,if you could reinstall the old system with this one ad.
    Please GS Team let us make games,we can sell!!!

WTDeveloper
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Posts: 424Member
    [I completly agree with gamesalad team about this "annoyng ads". Those who want to sell games, should buy pro. There is a lot of people who wants to sell games, but wants to spend anything.
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Posts: 130Member
    What about reading and writing to web server? Why is that not a priority?
  • vicentealvarezvicentealvarez Posts: 17Member
    What about reading and writing to web server? Why is that not a priority?
    This would be awesome as we could incorporate lots of ideas not currently possible, like simple multiplayer for example. This and complement iAD with another network to fill other markets would be awesome!
  • deadlightsdeadlights Posts: 235Member, PRO
    It boggles my mind that the ad issues weren't discovered during testing. Testing implies simulating what a real user might do, no? I guess I just don't get it, and I'm really disappointed about this update.
  • Fabri DamazioFabri Damazio Posts: 97Member
    My two cents:

The ad is fair for free members if you wanna earn some money developing game as hobby.

If you wanna develop game as professional, buy the Gamesalad license and be happy with no ads.

Gamesalad is a enterprise too.
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Posts: 194Member, PRO
    This ad thing basically broke my game for the time being. between every reset and scene change it jumps to the part of the screen where i used to have an ad (deleted it, still getting pop-up). Ive done too much work to go back to .92 now. I am a pro user. very frustrating! I know you guys will fix soon!
  • WildSnakeWildSnake Posts: 19Member
    edited June 2012
    IF it's allowed to pro users to remove ALL forced ads in their games I don't see any another problems here.

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    My two cents:

The ad is fair for free members if you wanna earn some money developing game as hobby.

If you wanna develop game as professional, buy the Gamesalad license and be happy with no ads.
    This is fun to see like everyone creates his own vision on the situation.
    And not fun to see that officials are not ready to shine a light on very simple questions above. ;-)

NeoGeek, are you sure that pro users will be free from forced ads in their games?
    If I got this correct Salads REQUIRE now to show their "so welcome" ads in pro users' games as well. No?

Thanks!

No, there is no required ads whatsoever for pro users.
  • theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Posts: 359Member
    edited June 2012
    I understand it costs money to run a business, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The problem with doing a 25% chance of ads between scenes is it looks a lot like SPAM. And there's nothing on this green earth that will sink an app in reviews faster then spam. Even though I do think it's fair to have ads, it's simply a bad to have that many. Not to mention that this will surely bring audiences away from playing our own games.
  • domeniusdomenius Posts: 108Member
    The biggest issue I see with this is that the number of scene changes can vary widely based on how your game is made. I could easily make any game one scene, it would be less optimized and take more time to make, but it could be done. All I really see is people learning better workarounds to not change scenes. This seems like a silly way to punish people for building their games in a particular way rather than a fair way to offset the cost of maintaining GameSalad.
    edited June 2012
    This seems like a silly way to punish people for building their games in a particular way rather than a fair way to offset the cost of maintaining GameSalad.
    This isn't a punishment. This is supplementing the cost of allowing you to use the tool for free. We are the only tool that allows this. In actuality this a very fair way of offsetting our costs while maintaining the free status.

I see a lot of condemnation of the ad system - but I've yet to see, other than insisting there shouldn't be ads at all, how GameSalad is expected to supplement costs.

• husherhusher Posts: 31Member, PRO
    @husher - Pro members have the option to disable all ads and customize the ad experience they want to appear within their game.

@all-

GameSalad remains the only professional development tool that offers iOS publishing binaries for free. In order to offset the cost of supporting such a large and prolific community, games published under Basic accounts are published with the Playhaven ad network included.

Our goal has always been "Game Creation for Everyone" and the Basic account is a key element to accomplishing that goal. With this new version of Playhaven, we've worked to improve player experience for Basic users. While there are certainly more places where ads "could" appear, the reduced fill rate actually works so that your players will encounter ads on a more intermittent basis. Also, moving the ad from the front of the game improves the player experience, as players are not bombarded with a full screen advert immediately after purchasing a game. This also helps Basic users have a stronger branding presence in the beginning of their game.

We understand that the ads can seem to be overwhelming when testing in the viewer, where every possible ad position triggers an interstitial stub. This is only meant to show you the various positions where ads could pop up and should not be in any way indicative of the amount of ads your users will experience.
    Thanks Lauren! I understand how it works now! Love GS : )

• SlowboySlowboy Posts: 329Member, PRO
    I'm a pro user, and pretty much avoid ads at all costs. I have no desire to use any of the latest Haven and Kiip stuff, it's just not my thing. I really don't like not being in control of what the player sees in my game.
    I agree with Domenius that free users will now be trying to make games in one scene, or with as few changes as possible. That's certainly what I would be doing if I was determined to stay free.
    So, I suppose that sounds pretty counter-intuitive in that GS puts the ads in and users try as hard as they can to keep the ads out! I guess GS still gets paid at the end of it all, which is the desired result.
    My message to people who don't want ads - buy a license!!! You don't get anything for free - even if something looks free, it only 'looks' free. I'm not trying to have a go at GS with that statement, it's just the way it is - everyone's got to put food on the table, and the Chefs are right - GS is the only platform that allows you to actually release games for FREE - if you really want rid of the ads, get a license. If you're that serious about making games you should have one by now anyway, or at least try one or two games for free, then get a license to release the third game, coz if you're releasing your *third* game, then you must be serious enough to buy a license, right?
    Anyway, what am I doing rambling on here, and probably upsetting people - I'm supposed to be making a game!
    Cya!!!!
  • ChechesoftChechesoft Posts: 157Member, PRO
    I found a bug in game center too. If you cancel the log in when prompt, the game freezes when trying to log in later in the game... Im testing the app Adhoc.
    Is this bug new to this release?
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    @chechevere - The gamecenter freezing bug is not new to 0.9.93, however our team is currently working on a fix for it now. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.