GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing GameSalad 0.9.93 Mac Creator Beta!

Comments

• JustMe74JustMe74 Posts: 542Member, PRO

I see a lot of condemnation of the ad system - but I've yet to see, other than insisting there shouldn't be ads at all, how GameSalad is expected to supplement costs.
    IMHO, it should be this:

Free Version: Publish only to GS Arcade, but no ads
    Paid Version: Like it is now

This would allow someone to build a game and see if the tool is for them, and then if it is, they can upgrade and publish to iOS. This would also cut down on the number of crap games and template re-postings that give GS a bad reputation in some places.

• deadlightsdeadlights Posts: 235Member, PRO
    I think the reason so many people are upset (including me) , is that Pro users are having the ad issue between scenes. Free users should expect ads. But Pro users shouldn't see ads/ad placeholders *EVER*. Just my 2 cents.
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Posts: 650Inactive
    @deadlights- Completely understandable.

The interstitial stub system is certainly not performing as intended and we are working hard at investigating and addressing the issue. These stubs especially should not show up for Pro Users who have not opted into the "show advertisement" option within their scene transition behaviors. We understand that Pros are currently experiencing them, regardless of opt-in/opt-out status and we're working to resolve that issue as fast as possible. Except a hot fix coming soon.
  • ChechesoftChechesoft Posts: 157Member, PRO
    Is the game center bug being resolved in this hot fix too? It would be awesome been able to use a crash free game center in my app!
    @chechevere- To be honest, I am not sure. Our developer team and QA have multiple fixes that we are hoping to push through as soon as possible. I will probably be able to give a more detailed look at exactly what you can expect on Monday.
  • WildSnakeWildSnake Posts: 19Member

No, there is no required ads whatsoever for pro users.
    Yep. Thanks John.
    I've already figured out that most important answer Lauren has hidden in private part for husher. :)

This is why I've edited my initial post. ;)

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member

I see a lot of condemnation of the ad system - but I've yet to see, other than insisting there shouldn't be ads at all, how GameSalad is expected to supplement costs.
    IMHO, it should be this:

Free Version: Publish only to GS Arcade, but no ads
    Paid Version: Like it is now

This would allow someone to build a game and see if the tool is for them, and then if it is, they can upgrade and publish to iOS. This would also cut down on the number of crap games and template re-postings that give GS a bad reputation in some places.

Thats exactly how it is now. GS arcade has no ads. But people are lucky enough to get ios for free if they want.
    @Photics - the interstitial adds now have a 25% chance of appearing during every scene change rather than a forced ad directly behind the splash screen. The custom splash screen is still in place for free users, however, if that's what you meant. ;)
    wow... it makes old playheaven system look good. But I will not complain now. Cause last time I did, and you've managed to make it even worse.

As for the rest. Nice job!
    Actually I will. Cause I didn't understand how bad it is. I was thinking it will be a small button during loading that players can just ignore, and not a full screen that players need to skip. In my opinion it's freaking horrible. Now I have to go Pro, there is no other options left. But there is one problem, I'm making games in a free time, and I don't want to make crappy games, so to make one game I need more than a year. And that's basically means, to publish one game a need to waste 400$ (100 goes to apple) everytime I want to publish a game, and that's to mutch for me, cause it's more hobby than business for me. I'm a big GS fan, but GS team if will not introduce more flexible payment system, or doesn't change those horrible ads in free version. I would need to consider, other engine for the next game.

To say i'm disappointing is to say nothing, cause a I'm literary shocked. It messed up my plans for the next 5 years. I just don't know what to do.

1. Abandon my GS knowledge and this awesome community and waste time on learning new software is a pretty sad option.

2. Pay a lot of money every time I need to publish a game is also not a good option.

I have been a part of two iOS projects, I know how hard is to earn money on AppStore. If I choose the second option, I could literary be in situation when I'm loosing not only a year+ of my free time but also loosing money.

I literary don't know what to do. I really hope GS Team will change this horrible approach to free users, or introduces more flexible payment options.

Achievement unlocked: No strong language used! (yes a really fill bad and angry about this whole thing)
    Any other software you have to pay anyway.
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    @JohnPapiomitis I don't wan to mention competitors. But there is a lot of software, when you need to pay only once or it's free. And then royalty based if you reach a lot of sales.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    edited June 2012
    Hey @SaladStraightShooter or @LaurenSalad or anyone else who knows for sure:

I haven't updated to 0.9.93 yet due to all the bugs that have been discovered, and I am just about to the point where I want to publish an update to an app I've been working on. If I publish my app with GameSalad 0.9.92, will the GS Publishing Servers still add in the same bugs produced in the servers users who have published with 0.9.93 have reported? I am a Pro user, so that eliminates some bugs (I think), but will any of the other known publishing bugs be included with my app update when I run it through the publishing servers? Hopefully that makes sense :)

- Alex
    edited June 2012
    @tshirtbooth, or such a bad approach to users, can be a reason for this to happen.

Lets put it this way.
    (Removed due to being tasteless and inaccurate - no one lied to you about anything.)
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    edited June 2012
    @tshirtbooth, or such a bad approach to users, can be a reason for this to happen.

Lets put in this way.
    You're not right - if this is a lie, as you said, then they will say that free users have only GS splash screen, and really they have ads.
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    edited June 2012
    Alternative #1... no ads, but everyone gets access to Kiip and PlayHaven. If you're Pro, you get all of your percentage. If you're not pro, GameSalad gets 50% of your percentage. It gives people an incentive to go to pro, while giving them the option to raise the money for pro.

Alternative #2... drop free publishing for iOS and drop the price of the software. Pro is still too expensive. I expect more polished software for $299 a year. Comparison: Pixelmator on the Mac App Store.

Alternative #3... drop the ads on iOS and expand GameSalad to include professional App & Web Development.

Alternative #4... where are the ads on your own Arcade? You don't have ads on your website. Why do you expect developers to tolerate them if you don't have them?

Alternative #5... iOS publishing is free — with no ads — but there's a significant size limit... 10MB games or smaller.

Alternative #6... Make the Pro features better... multiplayer, custom polygons, read/write to web server, expressions in OpenURL, better HTML5 exporting
    edited June 2012
    I would be happy if you just return the old one time PlayHeaven screen or give an option between new system and old one time screen. Although I don't think a lot of users will prefer the new system.
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Posts: 1,274Member
    This seems like a silly way to punish people for building their games in a particular way rather than a fair way to offset the cost of maintaining GameSalad.
    This isn't a punishment. This is supplementing the cost of allowing you to use the tool for free. We are the only tool that allows this. In actuality this a very fair way of offsetting our costs while maintaining the free status.

I don't need a lot of the Pro features, I would have gladly paid $99 per year for a no ads option. However, as is I will just go pro once my next games are ready. (Assuming GameCenter and the ads in preview issue are fixed)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    edited June 2012
    @JohnPapiomitis I don't wan to mention competitors. But there is a lot of software, when you need to pay only once or it's free. And then royalty based if you reach a lot of sales.
    What gives you ios publishing for free besides xcode/cocos2d?

And also some of what is for life isnt techincally for life, its for life for the version you bought it with. We can discuss competitors as long as we dont use price so ill give you an example.

Unity is in 3.5 right now. If you buy a pro license you have it for life for 3.5,3.6,3.7 up to 3.9 or whatever the last version before 4.0 is. But when they release unity 4.0 you have to buy the license over if you want pro for that version.
    This seems like a silly way to punish people for building their games in a particular way rather than a fair way to offset the cost of maintaining GameSalad.
    This isn't a punishment. This is supplementing the cost of allowing you to use the tool for free. We are the only tool that allows this. In actuality this a very fair way of offsetting our costs while maintaining the free status.

I would have gladly paid $99 per year for a no ads option.
    Yep. Me Too.
    @SSS It's about consistency, what you see is what you get (build to finish). I can't rely on GS at the moment and I'm not happy about that.
    Yep you can't. Just tested Ad Hoc. And find a lot of bugs, I mean things than don't work like they work in GS Viewer. Didn't send report yet, cause I need to spend a lot time making a long video about it.
    Hey guys- While I appreciate this discussion and do believe that some of you have some thoughtful points and suggestions about a pricing change or different pricing options- there are several other threads that currently exist in the forums to discuss those matters.

Let's keep this thread focused on 0.9.93 features.
    I guess my question got buried under all the pricing discussions, so I'll repost it.

Hey @SaladStraightShooter or @LaurenSalad or anyone else who knows for sure:

I haven't updated to 0.9.93 yet due to all the bugs that have been discovered, and I am just about to the point where I want to publish an update to an app I've been working on. If I publish my app with GameSalad 0.9.92, will the GS Publishing Servers still add in the same bugs produced in the servers users who have published with 0.9.93 have reported? I am a Pro user, so that eliminates some bugs (I think), but will any of the other known publishing bugs be included with my app update when I run it through the publishing servers? Hopefully that makes sense :)

- Alex
  • SlowboySlowboy Posts: 329Member, PRO
    Don't you just love new version weeks?!!
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus

Yep you can't. Just tested Ad Hoc. And find a lot of bugs, I mean things than don't work like they work in GS Viewer. Didn't send report yet, cause I need to spend a lot time making a long video about it.
    A bug report is more valuable than a video to our QA team - often a video is a poor indicator of true performance and it's best to have their hands on the project in question to get an accurate test.

@osucowboy18 - The ad stub bug is local to 0.9.93 Creator/viewer (and is being worked on.) The retina issue is being looked into as well and may be fixable through the binaries. Is there a specific bug you're concerned about that I can address?

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

I just don't see this report as text. I will make a long video where I will show how parts of game works in GS Viewer then in Ad Hoc. I will make it for every problem scene and insert my comments.

I started in the industry as QA. I know that programmers often find hard to believe in a particular bug, before they see it with their own eyes :)

A bug report is more valuable than a video to our QA team - often a video is a poor indicator of true performance and it's best to have their hands on the project in question to get an accurate test.

@osucowboy18 - The ad stub bug is local to 0.9.93 Creator/viewer (and is being worked on.) The retina issue is being looked into as well and may be fixable through the binaries. Is there a specific bug you're concerned about that I can address?
    Hi, i think is important the spin wheel issue, with out an indicator that the game is loading the user will think the app has frozen (and without the indicator Apple would certanly reject the app)
    The bug is that In portrait mode with the home button at the right side theres no spin wheel on iphone apps....
    Thank

ps the game center bug fix would be nice too!
    @SaladStraightShooter: Thanks for the clarification. My main concern was any bugs that were introduced to the publishing servers with the new update that would also affect projects published with 0.9.92. Can anyone confirm the existence of this type of bug?

- Alex
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @chechevere - both issues are being worked on now. The load wheel can be sent directly to the publishing binaries, so it may already be taken care of (I will need to verify) - the GameCenter issue is slated to be fixed ASAP.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@chechevere: Is the missing loading wheel only present in 0.9.93 projects, or in all projects? I haven't gotten around to testing an ad hoc yet, so any info you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Alex
    @chechevere: Is the missing loading wheel only present in 0.9.93 projects, or in all projects? I haven't gotten around to testing an ad hoc yet, so any info you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Alex
    Hi, it only with the last update, 0.9.93.
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Posts: 424Member
    @SaladStraightShooter: Thanks for the clarification. My main concern was any bugs that were introduced to the publishing servers with the new update that would also affect projects published with 0.9.92. Can anyone confirm the existence of this type of bug?

- Alex
    You can still publish using older versions. The new bugs wont affect your games on them.
    Thanks guys, much appreciated! Looking forward to a hot fix to take care of all the bugs in 0.9.93. As others have mentioned, a fix for the Game Center bug(s) would also be great.

- Alex
This discussion has been closed.