GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.94 Beta Hotfix

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited June 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello everyone!

Today we're launching GameSalad 0.9.94, a new version to address issues encountered with the recently released 0.9.93 build. Included in GameSalad 0.9.94 are updates to the way PlayHaven operates for Free and Pro users, as well as a major Game Center fix. We also resolved issues with Resolution Independence for iPad, and have designed an improved experience within the Viewer.

The biggest change is certainly with PlayHaven performance. First, PlayHaven interstitial ad stubs will no longer appear in the Viewer or Previewer. This was done originally to showcase all the areas where PlayHaven ads could show up. Upon revisiting the experience, we decided it best to remove the ad stubs to provide a better test environment.

In addition, we revisited the way PlayHaven operates for both Basic and Pro users. With GameSalad 0.9.94, interstitial ads will no longer be present in games published with Basic accounts. Instead, we will only place the small "More Games" button on the developer's splash screen before gameplay starts. This will be the only PlayHaven placement in Basic users' games.

Interstitial ads are of incredibly high value and we will continue to offer them to Professional users, where they will have the option of placing them during scene changes of their choice.

GameSalad 0.9.94 also includes a long list of fixes and improvements. Most notably, we've corrected issues with Game Center and Resolution Independence, both of which are now working wonderfully.

For a full list of fixes included with 0.9.94, please take a look at our full Release Notes HERE.
Thank you for your patience while we resolved these issues!

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    Beauty

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

• JustMe74JustMe74 Posts: 542Member, PRO
    Good - looks like it got the majority of issues.
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

• ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    I'm surprised GS actually removed the interstitial ads for free users in the end, not that it matters to me. Nice update!
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Chobbiface - we try not to be "fire and forget" - feedback does matter, though there are obviously other pieces to it in the bigger picture. :D

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited June 2012
    OMG!!! Retina tiles! And they actually works! Thanks! :-bd ^:)^

@SaladStraightShooter Now for the youcantalwaysmakeeveryonehappyandsomeonehastoalwayscomplainaboutsomething moment I've been asking for ages to at least add "itms-apps://" to the list in the OpenURL behavior. Is it possible to at least know if it's actually a hard thing to do and thus is being pushed aside due to technical problems or if GS devs simply forgot (dont care?) about it?

• Yovanny369Yovanny369 Posts: 105Member
    I still have problems with the rotation in the Viewer:(
  • fmarkusfmarkus Posts: 42Member
    Auto rotation problem in the viewer no solved in this version either for me... All autorotate are false in all my scenes and still, the game will auto rotate...
  • mmzbrmmzbr Posts: 308Member
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for the fixes, but this version didn't fixed that:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/44949/help-black-bars-much-bigger-than-usual-after-0-9-93-android#latest

I'm about to release the Chapter II of Bloody Mary - Ghost Adventure but this black bars is a big issue for me (Android Version - Google Play Market) =/
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @MarkOnTheIron - it's on the backlog, as it has been for a time - it's not forgotten or not cared about.

• RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    Great work GS, but software is still slow and unstable, I've had two crash in 15 minutes, and as said before autorotation still wrong, but it is a breakthrough congratulations! I look forward to the new "whats cooking ..." Good job guys
  • jckmcgrawjckmcgraw Posts: 647Member
    edited June 2012
    I have been holding back my complaints for .93, but not the joy for .94! Thank you GameSalad! :D

Jack
  • POMPOM Posts: 2,599Member
    Nice one GS !

Photobucket Roy
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    edited June 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter I think it's great, GS has obviously taken onboard a lot of the comments/criticisms in the last 0993 thread. The way I see it, you can publish to the app store paid apps and make a profit potentially, all for free and in exchange for a small more games button now. GS is the closest thing to a free lunch you will get =D>
    ...but software is still slow and unstable...
    This may be true for your situation, but not for the bulk of GameSalad users.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @SaladStraightShooter Thanks.

On another note I think you're going a little too easy on non pro members :)

@SaladStraightShooter
    any suggestions to fix it? I have an iMac with 10.7 Lion 12GB of ram, and constantly I have to exit the software and come back to work quickly.
  • crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FrancePosts: 519Member
    LOVE this version already!! :) Worth the wait
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    @rupas
    Hate to say it, but it's probably due to the complexity of your project. I have some projects that take minutes to open certain actors due to the number of rules inside. It's a trade off from using a non code system, since everything is stored in the back end in XML, its not as efficient as straight code

@saladstraightshooter
    I noticed the android automation bug I found this week did not make it into the release, but I imagine that would be a server side patch anyways, could you use your special powers and see if it's been marked as resolved or if they are still looking at it?

Doing a retina test build now, excited to see how it looks
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,081Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Excellent, thanks guys!

I'm a happy GS'er
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    @SSS & GameSalad Team. Thank You So Much..:)
    @jonmulcahy Yes, maybe is possible. Thanks so much
    Go GS
  • machinegunkellymachinegunkelly Posts: 56Member
    edited June 2012
    This completely screwed up my game : (

I had platforms using a tile-able image ( tiles horizontally )

I have it set to "fixed" vertical - and " tile" horizontal, and now my platform image is 2x taller than it should be, and acts like I have it set to fixed, but images are being scaled up 2x their normal size now :(

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't be so sure about that @StraightSaladShooter

The simple fact remains, and has for some time now, that if you have a project of any significant size you MUST close and re-open the tool regularly. I currently have to do this every five minutes or the tool slows to a crawl and will eventually crash. This is with a project that's 12.2 megs, 30 scenes, and 140 attributes.

It's not a time based thing so much as it as a closing and opening of items on the screen. I personally think the drop down attribute window is the main culprit.. but there are threads that document many users having the same issues. (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/323575/#Comment_323575)

I'll give some credit and say somewhere around 0.9.85 it was better, but since then the memory leaks in the viewer have come back.

Now, on to the black bars on the sides of Android builds. Having these in your submission build will get you kicked back from both the Amazon and Nook marketplaces. You might get lucky and have someone overlook it, but not taking up the entire screen is part of their requirements for being published.

Regardless of how difficult of a fix it is, (which come on, just limit us to using 580 vertical pixels in the tool to accommodate the Navigation Bar), I'm hopeful that you guys start a trend here with more frequent fixes for problems such as these. Especially when they impede your users who use your product in a professional manner.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Posts: 542Member, PRO
    edited June 2012
    I don't have a problem with it crashing, but I've definitely seen the slowdowns on larger projects. My penguin game was ~ 25 MB and I'd have to close and reopen GS every so often, especially I was working with a list of attributes or actors with a lot of rules. I have a very fast system (iMac 27", 3.4 GHZ i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD, etc.) and still have this issue. Closing and re-opening is a workaround, but it is definitely annoying.

• POMPOM Posts: 2,599Member
    edited June 2012
    @machinegunkelly
    You need to understand this mate , this is the way it should have been in the first place. the result you had , however much you liked the way it looked , was a bug in the software ..
    also , i wouldn't call it "screwed up the game" it should be a 20 minutes fix to edit those actors to the correct graphical mode.
    Moreover , next time save a back up of your file from the older version so that if you don't like the new version , you can go back to use 0.9.92 or 0.9.93 .

Good luck with your game ;)

Photobucket Roy
  • venon_itvenon_it Posts: 594Member, PRO

In addition, we revisited the way PlayHaven operates for both Basic and Pro users. With GameSalad 0.9.94, interstitial ads will no longer be present in games published with Basic accounts. Instead, we will only place the small "More Games" button on the developer's splash screen before gameplay starts. This will be the only PlayHaven placement in Basic users' games.

this is the best solution for Gamesalad and User!!! ThanKSSS Staff
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    I will stay on 992 for the time of being, cause issues that I've reported hasn't been fixed. But I'm really glad about the changes with PlayHeaven. Btw can someone make a screenshot of "more games"?.
This discussion has been closed.