GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you get people interested in your games?

getawayappsgetawayapps Posts: 14Member
edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
I'm a little frustrated. Our game has been reviewed and featured on several websites recently and still sales are no better than when we just dropped it in the store. Actually, they've dropped. Based on a projected website reach of at least 100,000+, how do we not sell a single copy?

How do other developers here promote their apps? Is there some magic formula? Who do you have to know?

Comments

• deadlightsdeadlights Posts: 235Member, PRO
    What I've found is that screenshots seem to be the driving sales factor for me. I know that sounds weird, but my sales increased substantially when I changed out the screenshots for more exiting ones. Also having friends pimp it out on Facebook helps :)
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    I'm a little frustrated. Our game has been reviewed and featured on several websites recently and still sales are no better than when we just dropped it in the store. Actually, they've dropped. Based on a projected website reach of at least 100,000+, how do we not sell a single copy?

How do other developers here promote their apps? Is there some magic formula? Who do you have to know?
    You have to know a guy named "Luck". If you want, I can introduce you to him :)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 8,964Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    I show my game to people. ;)
  • getawayappsgetawayapps Posts: 14Member
    I show my game to everyone. To the point of being annoying. I beg people to retween and repost on Facebook.

@themoonwalls, I would greatly appreciate it if you could set up a meeting with me and mr. Luck. :-)
    By the way, I'd like to introduce you to my game, Hen House Havoc, now available on the App Store. ;)
  • ORBZORBZ Posts: 1,303Member
    Link?
    The App Store was linked, but here it is again...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hen-house-havoc/id528940631?ls=1&mt=8

Thanks for asking.
  • MobileRocketGamesMobileRocketGames Posts: 128Member
    edited June 2012
    Hey Getawayapps. Nice little game you have there.
    Reminds me of that level from Earthworm Jim where you have to bounce the puppies or your puppy sidekick will go crazy and tear you to pieces.

How do other developers here promote their apps?
    So there's a few things that you need to be aware of. As with any business you have to do your research, know your competition.

You are selling a game for .99 which is not a lot, but have you seen what else you can get for .99? EA and other AAA studios are releasing a lot of their old games for a dollar, or FREE!! Its hard to compete with that (see: impossible).

There are two things you CAN do;
    Release your game as a lite version with in-app purchase of the full game. Let ppl play the first 5-10 lvls for free. no one wants to pay for something without trying it unless they are totally in love.
    or
    Release your full game as free and rake in ad revenue money from 1,000,000 free downloads. Its a considerable amount of money so I wouldn't scoff at it.

In my mind your strategy for entering the market was ambitious but not a lot of games can get away with the pay-before-you-play method and the ones that are are investing serious amounts of cash into art and development.
  • scitunesscitunes Posts: 4,047Member, Sous Chef
    Honestly, from the screenshots it seems to be a remake of any other "catch these items but not these" type of game. There are hundreds if not thousands of these games available. Nice graphics (which your game does seem to have) are not likely to be enough to get people to play the same type of game that they have probably played before and quickly grew tired of. I would bet there are plenty of games with the same gameplay that can be downloaded for free. You really need to find a way to make it fresh for people so they would rather pay for your game instead of downloading a similar one for free.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,769Member
    @scitunes did you get my email?
    @MobileRocketGames you make a good point. We had discussed the freemium model early on and my partner shot it down. Maybe we need to bring up the topic again. At least we could pull in ad revenue. Do you think iAd is a better option than PlayHaven or Kliip? Or put all three in?
    @scitunes you're right. It is a derivative of many games out there. It was my first game and first GameSalad project. It actually began from the plinko template in the marketplace. Of course, there's not a lot left of the original template now.
    What really irks me is that the darn thing was cracked two days out. I look at the leader boards and there are 10 times more players than sales. I might as well make it free, at least if it was cracked I'd still have the ad revenue.
    I don't mean to sound harsh. This game is 100x better than many of my first games. But I think there are legitimate reasons why this game does not have great sales. If everyone on this forum just tells you that it's only due to bad luck to spare your feelings then you won't learn and improve.

I wish you the best with this game and your future games!
    @scitunes are you getting my email?
    @creativeapps - I replied to your email about 30 minutes ago
    Did not get any email
    @scitunes don't worry, I wasn't taking it that way. I agree with you 100%. You'd think with several hundred million devices out there that you could sell a couple of hundred. I'm not expecting Angry Birds sales, just enough to pay for Game Salad would be nice. :-)
    I realized I only focused on saying why its not selling with out giving any advice on moving forward.

So here's what I would do with it.

1) Make it free
    2) Put iAds in all scenes except the actual game (I find it really annoying when it's in the game itself)
    3) Use Kiip highscore
    4) Depending how you have the game set up it may not be too hard to do kiip achievements
    5) put as much playhaven in as you are comfortable with
    6) Move on to your next app
  • DanDaMan123DanDaMan123 Posts: 216Member
    @deadlights
    I definitely agree
    With my first apps I used terrible screenshots and I think I have really suffered because of it. My latest game has done a ton better and I am almost sure that some of it is because of the screenshots. But, another part is just that it is a better game overall.
    Good advice Scitunes.

You really do need to have this discussion with your partner. After all, slow money or low money... is always better than no money.
    For a first app, this is well done. I'm sorry to hear about the cracking but unfortunately its something we're all going to have to deal with.
    I believe iAd has the highest payouts, but you may want to ask someone with a few games released to see what has worked best.

If I can ad another tip:
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    If this game doesn't do well, so what? Its your first game, you probably learned a hell of a lot making it. Move on to the next one and remember what you learned.
  • EbreezeEbreeze Posts: 481Member, PRO
    edited June 2012
    your game may have sold some in 2009 or 2010 but we're halfway through 2012 with the iPhone 4s and iPad 3 on the forefront. the appstore is getting highly competitive and games with simple controls and graphics just wont cut it today as far as selling big. appstore customers are used too highly polished games ,many with 3d graphics, hours of game play,social networking and sharing....best of luck
    @MobileRocketGames that's good advice. Thanks! I have some ideas bouncing in my head. The next one will be a top seller. :-)

@Ebreeze - I think you're right. You practically have to have a Pixar level app to get noticed. OK, time to crank up the heat! :-)
  • HapiappsHapiapps Posts: 373Member
    edited June 2012

Release your full game as free and rake in ad revenue money from 1,000,000 free downloads. Its a considerable amount of money so I wouldn't scoff at it.

@MobileRocketGames

I don't think it will get a million downloads if its free because many good apps which go free don't get nearly that many, I would say closer to 1-5 k free downloads when it first goes free, and then tapers down.

@getawayapps

Just shake it off since its your first game and try to work on new ones instead of worrying about this. Its good for your first app but people's most successful apps or normally not their first. As you make more, they will get better. Good Luck!
    hahaha yea Hapiapps, I was just throwing an arbitrary number out there. The iAd returns are very lucrative though, much higher than online banner ads.

Its very disheartening to think about the kind of games that got downloaded or sold hundreds of thousands of copies when the app store first came out. Some were pure garbage, but still made the developers large amounts. If only we had GS back then!
  • lo_klo_k Posts: 23Member
    By the way, I'd like to introduce you to my game, Hen House Havoc, now available on the App Store. ;)
    haha I'm so going to retweet this
    ;)
  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Posts: 2,343Member
    lo_k said:

;)

Yea I thought...how Ironic !

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Posts: 822Member
    ictc said:

lo_k said:

;)
    Yea I thought...how Ironic !

Umm..This post is a year old...