GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important Update: Snow Leopard Support

2»

Comments

• uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    Yes. Snow leopard and those before Snow Leopard will not be supported. Lion came after Snow Leopard, so it will be supported.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• KiwiLeeKiwiLee Posts: 181Member
    Yes lion will still be supported.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Nmdogude - Lion is still supported as long as it's 64 bit. (which it should be).

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• ORBZORBZ Posts: 1,303Member, PRO
    Does the upgrade / installer give a warning that it will no longer be functional if it tries to install on non 64bit systems? If not that's a big mistake.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @ORBZ - no - though I do agree that would be a more elegant solution, it would also require some engineering for Creator to recognize your OS/chipset when it can just as easily be messaged as we have been.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

edited August 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter

The problem is that GSC prompts people to install an upgrade. Most people accept upgrades without reading up about it first. A lot of people don't read the forums until after they have run into problems. No longer being able to work on their game because they hosed their system by installing a version that is incompatible with their chipset and then to find out that the only solution is to buy a new mac is a good way to lose customers.

Querying the CPU architecture and OS isn't THAT hard, just do this from the command line:

/usr/bin/uname -a

~ and ~

/usr/bin/sw_vers

~ and ~

system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType
  • part12studiospart12studios Posts: 619Member
    Does anyone have the link to the old versions? I upgraded before realizing i had to have lion.. i need to make a quick build to push out before i upgrade to mountain lion
  • ecscessecscess Posts: 23Member
    yes, but I think is not aloud to ... SaladStraightShooter?
    edited August 2012
    just uninstall and reinstall right? I don't know what the normal result is, but when i open the game salad app.. it instantly crashes.. not like i opened it and saved any documents with it.
    edited August 2012
    @ORBZ - I'm not disagreeing with you. That was my take on it and not engineering's reasoning (though I can push that over to them and see if they can include it). Regardless of the compatibility and not prompting, within 29 days we will require 0.10.0 - and Lion/Mountain Lion support - rendering the check unnecessary after that time.

edited August 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter

You can expect a lot of people to stop using your product in 29 days then. People will upgrade when they can afford a new Mac. I strongly encourage you to keep 0.9.x around for people to downgrade so they can continue to work on their projects and upgrade when they are ready to publish.
    well to be fair, MANY macs that still run today can just upgrade for $20.. Core2 Duos have been around for a long time now.. sure some people are using old machines, but you can get used macs that have core 2 duo for decent prices.

http://www.geeks.com/search.asp?query=macbook&FIELD=ALL almost everything here is Core2 Duo or better.. as cheap as $389.99.. i know that is still some money, but its a heck of a lot cheaper than a new machine and if you're running something older it IS a speed boost at the same time :)
    @SaladStraightShooter where is that folder on the GS site that has all of the previous versions on it? i recall there is a folder somewhere like gs/oldversions or something like that..
    edited August 2012
    @part12studios

True, you can just upgrade... but you shouldn't HAVE to if you are in the middle of a development and the new version just -- without warning -- borked your system.

Some people don't have $400 just lying around.

Just keep 0.9.x available for people to download but tweak it so that the publishing is disabled with a message that says "publishing requires a newer version." That way people can continue without interrupting their workflow and when their project is ready to be published they can upgrade their mac and upgrade their os and upgrade GSC.

Also, modify the installer / upgrade so that it doesn't install itself on machines that it doesn't work on.

Problem solved -- everyone happy.
    edited August 2012
    http://gamesalad.com/download/studioUpdates install the old version right? i found this link.. use safari (chrome acts weird)

I was unclear.. can we keep using 0.9.x or is the 30 day countdown in effect for all versions? @orbz , your point is valid about allowing publishing to be disabled but development to continue.. it seems though that this would be the case.. since it sounds like the publishing is the part that requires the update.. not running the local client app itself..

UPDATE:
    rolling back to 0.9.4 worked great. so if you made the mistake i did you should be ok just download and reinstall the older version over the newer version like any other update..
    edited August 2012
    @ORBZ - unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that - this is an Apple requirement and one that we must abide by... and as anyone who has been with Apple for some time can tell you, this type of forced obsolescence is nothing new.

Keeping 0.9.x available would require us to keep two different publishing pipelines open, the older of the two for a small fraction of our users, and all the associated maintenance that goes with it. That puts all the associated costs on the back of GameSalad in both manpower from the web team and the actual monetary cost.

Without adjusting our pipelines, working with new versions, we can't continue to bring new features to the table. Anyone who would prefer to use 0.9.x would effectively lose out on all future development.

It comes down to the costs of business for GameSalad, as well as the requirements of Apple. We don't want to lose customers - no one does - but please bear in mind this isn't something we can change.

edited August 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter

I don't think you understand what I am saying.

Make 0.9.x available for download but tweak it so that publishing button does not work and instead shows the message "publishing requires a newer version"

Modify the installer for 0.10.x so that it checks for compatibility before blowing away a person's working system configuration. :/

That way people can continue to work on the projects they are in the middle of and upgrade their equipment when they are ready to publish.

This does not require you to keep two publishing pipelines open. You only need to support 0.10.x, but you keep 0.9.x creator available for download but disable publishing support in it so that people can keep working without upgrading all their equipment until they are ready to publish.

"... but please bear in mind this isn't something we can change." -- yes it is.
    edited August 2012
    Ok, I'll be a bit more straightforward: This is not something we're willing to support or invest development time into. The problem will still remain that peoples expectations will be that if they're using an older version they should be able to publish with that version. Among other issues.

You can more or less use old versions now. However even those will attempt to query the server... that will no longer exist. But there should be no misunderstanding that we no longer support them.

We cannot change Apples requirements, nor can we change what they do and do not support. We move with Apple - it's a necessity of our business.

• simo103simo103 Posts: 1,331Member, PRO
    wow .. this seems so hasty - 30 days - don't know if people can be expected to finish off/test/ etc in that short of time .... Also I know the school I run an App club using Gamesalad with isn't going to be able to upgrade ... so much for game making for everyone. Got to say the outside appearance ... kiip and this development ... screams of problems within GS. Maybe ... like the forced obsolescence like Apple with iMovie and Final Cut will be delayed if GS realizes how many people it might effect.
    edited August 2012
    @simo103 - the nature of business and software development requires us to move with Apple. Frankly we can't be held accountable for Apple policies or the obsolescence of their OS's or older devices and equipment.

Exactly how is it a GameSalad problem or "screaming problems with GS"? Apple mothballed Snow Leopard, not us. And we designed a new publishing flow that is more efficient, reliable, easier to maintain, and effective... which also require the latest versions of Mac's OS. Without adapting our development would come to a screeching halt.

I can understand being frustrated with Apple, but I can't exactly let this change be misrepresented without comment.

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    I think that you should close this thread @SaladStraightShooter. All doubts have been clarified, and neither you, nor us, can do anything about Apple's policy about dropping support for SL.
    If you let people to get over your head, they'll want support for Tiger, or Windows 95 next.
    Good point, @TheMoonwalls. I agree enough has been said.

This discussion has been closed.