GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Windows 8 and Windows Store Support!

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

It's $50 a year, and it only targets windows 8 desktops and windows 8 tablets. That's it.

iPad or Mac apps will scale well, iPhone not so much.

Just as a side note. when I setup my windows 8 account it said something along the lines of the $50 individual Account type was not able to submit Desktop Apps. You had to have a $99 Company Account type for Desktop app submission. maybe @saladstraghtshooter can get us a definitive answer for that?

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• greenrhynogreenrhyno Posts: 152Member, PRO
    I was excited when I got the email and started shopping windows phones- but now after reading this thread I've realized it is the desktop OS. Correct? I'll still participate in the webinar Friday. I thought it was funny on the webinar signup that it said you can watch on a PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad or Android device- but there is no Windows Phone device support listed... I guess that is more GoToMeeting than windows, just thought it was ironic.

I'll give the Windows 8 store a try but would love support for windows phone 8. I think it has a chance to make some nice inroads and build a larger user-base this holidays with the new devices coinciding with the windows 8 launch, and the increased focus on desktop and mobile integration.

Oh and I'm not partisan to microsoft or anything, haven't used a PC for a couple of years since I switched to Mac, I just am interested in the newer less crowded markets in addition to iOS and google play.
  • jkanalakisjkanalakis Posts: 49Member, PRO
    Does the new GameSalad support for Windows 8 apps include in-app purchases?

John K.
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    hey i was talking about this lately.. did GS steal my idea.. :-? ... This is awesome news for all... more avenues more awesome GS..
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    tenrdrmer said:

Just as a side note. when I setup my windows 8 account it said something along the lines of the $50 individual Account type was not able to submit Desktop Apps. You had to have a $99 Company Account type for Desktop app submission. maybe @saladstraghtshooter can get us a definitive answer for that?

It seems you're right, this is from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh868184.aspx :

Company accounts are the only accounts that can submit desktop applications to the store.

@SaladStraightShooter Could you clarify this?

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Posts: 1,162Member
    I get the impression we can setup a 'Company Account' type, pay the extra fee and not have to have an LLC or Inc'd company per se? I'm going to go ahead and find out :)
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Yay! A brand new toy for my pro account! :)
    I just setup a Company Account. All is well.
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    Hello, anyone can help me find the link to create the Windows account to upload the games. thanks
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef

tenrdrmer said:

It seems you're right, this is from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh868184.aspx :

Company accounts are the only accounts that can submit desktop applications to the store.

@SaladStraightShooter Could you clarify this?

See I read this, so who knows. I have an individual account, and I have like 10 projects already created and are just waiting for me to finish porting and testing.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409582,00.asp

Microsoft today opened up submissions for its Windows 8 app store to all developers, including individuals and companies.
    edited September 2012
    @jonmulcahy LOL darn, guess i shoulda waited a bit. Oh well I'll be incorporated next month so the 'company' route is better for me anyway.

Windows 8 doesnt come out until end of October though...anyone getting developer releases? Otherwise how are you testing?

@jonmulcahy LOL darn, guess i shoulda waited a bit. Oh well I'll be incorporated next month so the 'company' route is better for me anyway.

Windows 8 doesnt come out until end of October though...anyone getting developer releases? Otherwise how are you testing?

The release preview does not work for testing. You need to install visual studio express and that won't install on the release preview. You can download the developer preview, but that will expire after 10 days (vm snapshot please :) ).

I got a copy via msdn from work.

The release preview does not work for testing. You need to install visual studio express and that won't install on the release preview. You can download the developer preview, but that will expire after 10 days (vm snapshot please :) ).

I've been away from the Windows/PC environment for a number of years now heh. I have Windows 7 partitioned on my iMac using Parallels. So if I install Visual Studio Express I can test out my builds?

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    So yesterday I asked if the Windows 8 export, will also support In-App Purchases? After thinking about it some more today I am now assuming that the answer is no. Since this is update is really adding on to the Web Exporting functionality and not the Gamesalad software itself. Just like Android In-Apps, if it's not in the software, it's not supported yet. Would that be a correct assumption @saladstraghtshooter ?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @wpaten - it's a feature, but it's one that we're currently working with Microsoft to bring to the table.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

I've been away from the Windows/PC environment for a number of years now heh. I have Windows 7 partitioned on my iMac using Parallels. So if I install Visual Studio Express I can test out my builds?

Unfortunately no, this whole thing outputs appx files, which I guess are windows 8 only.
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Posts: 130Member
    I still don't understand... So this is for developing for Windows 8 desktop apps, and the new Windows 8 tablet NOT Windows Phone, is that correct?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Hey guys,

We're seeing a few support contacts about this topic and felt it might be a good idea to inform expectations of the new Windows 8 support.

As with any new platform and new tech, adjustments may be necessary to adapt your work to the new Windows Store. This may include changes in logic, adjustments to processes and flow or tweaks to features within your app like tables, similar to the tweaks and adjustments you might have seen when Android was introduced. While this may not always be necessary, it's important to know this could be the case with your application, and that there may not be a bug causing the perceived disparity.

Performance is something we are continually hardening and adjusting to make as seamless as possible in terms of how far you have to go to achieve the performance expectations you might have based on existing, established tech like the iOS pipeline.

We're excited to see the interest and investment from the GameSalad developer community in this new opportunity, and will continue to work to improve and enhance not only performance for the new Windows 8 publishing, but throughout GameSalad.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

I still don't understand... So this is for developing for Windows 8 desktop apps, and the new Windows 8 tablet NOT Windows Phone, is that correct?

That is correct - we are working with Microsoft to likely include Windows 8 Phone support in a future release.

OK I'm sold! Where do I actually sign up and give Microsoft my money. I've looked at many of the pages all over their site and can't find where to create a developer account.

Does anyone have a link?
    From @MarkOnTheIron's above post, the below is the specific section that discusses Individual vs. Developer - perhaps this might help clear up any confusion:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj657972.aspx

Thanks Guys! I created my developer account, and reserved a couple app names.
  • uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,597Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited September 2012
    EDITED AGAIN:

Choose Individual accounts: Cheaper, and targets all devices!

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

When creating a new Windows 8 game, which platform do we choose? GameSalad Arcade? 720p HD, or Legacy Web Game? The Windows 8 Store requires a splash screen image with the dimensions of 620x300 - should that also be the screen dimensions for our Windows 8 games?

John K.
  • GameTeamOneGameTeamOne Posts: 88Member, PRO

When creating a new Windows 8 game, which platform do we choose? GameSalad Arcade? 720p HD, or Legacy Web Game? The Windows 8 Store requires a splash screen image with the dimensions of 620x300 - should that also be the screen dimensions for our Windows 8 games?

John K.

First off, hey John K. I knew you way back when Perfect Dork Studios was using TorqueX for our Box Macabre project. Glad to see you around the GS community. We are happy to have you!

Game Team One is about to release 6 Win8 apps, 5 of which were built from the ground up for the platform. At first I thought building to 960x640 with a buffer around the edges for a full bleed of 1024x768 was the best route. Initially we were unsure how scaling would be handled and how the game would be shifted in the multiple view configurations (Snap, Full and Fill). Everyone really should do their homework regarding Win8 - there are many changes and innovations that are unique from previous Windows releases. If you are porting an existing game, you may need to do a few tweaks, but I won't really get into that here. We are all developers, and we all know that each platform has its own characteristics requiring some extra work.

Back to the size question. At the end of the day we have seen the best results with going 1024x768. What will happen is the game will have a black background surrounding the camera area for full screen view (1360x768). When in fill view, the padding will be cut away and the clean camera area will fill the active screen area. This is the best approach to prevent your game from stretching/skewing and is a recommended best practice.

If your game is not 1024x768, no problem. What GS will do is stretch the game up proportionally to fill the maximum portion of the screen. You may have a widescreen game that has little to no black bars in Full view, but will ultimately have black bars on top and on bottom when in Fill view.

It is the cleanest solution, even if it is not the prettiest. What GTO has done in our new games is put a dimming/fader gradient around the edges of the 1024x768 camera area which effectively blends the screen right into the black bar area, making the whole screen feel seamless and professional.

There are MANY MANY details that I would like to share with the community related to our findings while building for the Win8 platform - right now though we are knee deep in polish and submission. All I can say is that I am extremely excited about the platform. With Win8 App Store publishing and an ever-improving Creator for Windows, I feel we are finally fulfilling the promise to the countless PC developers who have felt left out all these years.

Yes, I definitely remember PDS and Box Macabre, a cool game which really pushed the bounds the TorqueX. GameSalad is even cooler. I've enjoyed using GameSalad for quite a while now with games in the iTunes and Amazon stores. Your team is doing an amazing job with the core engine, the creators on Mac and Windows, and the games. Supporting Windows 8 is a very exciting move that I'm already all over.

This was a great summary. I'm was leaning towards 1024x768 based on this article:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/21/scaling-to-different-screens.aspx

Thank you for the great advice, I'm really looking forward to the next Webinar.

John K.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member

Guys, stick to the Individual User account. We don't need the Company license. We're selling apps directly through the Windows Store, so we're good to go. Only if you're selling third party stuff, and want it listed in the store (as Desktop Apps) would you choose Company.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was thinking we'd need the company account because of their use of the phrase 'desktop app'.

But if we can still upload games for windows 8 desktop pc using an individual account... all is well.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

Guys, stick to the Individual User account. We don't need the Company license. We're selling apps directly through the Windows Store, so we're good to go. Only if you're selling third party stuff, and want it listed in the store (as Desktop Apps) would you choose Company.

Would be nice to get an official word on this. Gonna really suck to assume our $50 account gives us access to windows 8 pc apps if it turns out it doesn't.... @saladstraightshooter

@gameteamone , do you guys have any portrait games you have done in the 1024x768 size. I'm curious will it just fill out large black bars on the sides or should it just not work at all?

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,597Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited September 2012
    @tenrdrmer Quote from the Microsoft site @SaladStraightShooter posted:

"Desktop app developers
    Unlike other types of apps, users don’t purchase or download desktop apps directly from the Store. Instead, the Store acts more as a listing service—a way for users to discover your apps. To acquire a desktop app, a user clicks a URL (that you provide when you list the app) that takes them to a website. From there, the user can download or purchase the app."

We on the other hand are submitting our Apps to the store, and Microsoft is selling them. That's why the information under Individual is to create 'Windows Store Apps' as Microsoft is hosting and selling those apps for us.

Desktop apps are being sold on a third party website. They are just on the store as a listing/advertising.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com