GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Windows 8 and Windows Store Support!

Comments

• RiffelRiffel Posts: 1,272Member

Mac users will also be able to publish directly to the Win8 Store even if they do not have a computer running Windows, though testing will require a Windows device.

Can I get a developer license with my Mac? Please publish a guide!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    @uptimistik I understand that but it still never says if windows 8 desktops will be able to download and play our apps. It needs to be clear so people can know what they are getting with the account types.

If I want to offer a desktop version of a game will users be able to get that from the store or do I have to sell it third party from my own site?

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Posts: 1,162Member

@tenrdrmer Quote from the Microsoft site @SaladStraightShooter posted:

"Desktop app developers
    Unlike other types of apps, users don’t purchase or download desktop apps directly from the Store. Instead, the Store acts more as a listing service—a way for users to discover your apps. To acquire a desktop app, a user clicks a URL (that you provide when you list the app) that takes them to a website. From there, the user can download or purchase the app."

We on the other hand are submitting our Apps to the store, and Microsoft is selling them. That's why the information under Individual is to create 'Windows Store Apps' as Microsoft is hosting and selling those apps for us.

Desktop apps are being sold on a third party website. They are just on the store as a listing/advertising.

Hmm damn I signed up for the $99 account, anyone know if this means I won't be able to publish the same way as an Individual? Do I need to go to Individual in order to publish to the store as a GS Developer?

Cheers.
  • uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,602Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited September 2012
    @tenrdrmer taken from ZDNet:

"Windows 8 users also will be able to discover and obtain information about Desktop Apps, which are Win32/64 applications that will be allowed to be listed in the Windows Store on Windows 8, but which won't be directly downloadable or purchasable through the Windows Store."

So again, both are downloadable on your machine, but 1 is being hosted and sold through the Windows store (Individual Developer) while the other is just being listed on the store, but downloadable from a third party website (Desktop apps/Company Developer)

@TouchTiltGames No, you're good to go, the Company just gives you the added option to do the Desktop listing. You will also be able to publish native Windows 8 Store Apps.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Posts: 1,162Member
    Ok thanks a lot for this info, very helpful.
    edited September 2012
    @uptimistik Thats all fine and dandy but even still just implies the windows 8 app store will not even house Desktop apps. So its not a Direct competitor to the MAS.Its only a listing service for the apps available to PC versions of windows 8 not a Store. I Want to know from Microsoft Will my Windows 8 App from an individual account be available to desktop machines purchased and downloaded through the Windows Store. You can post the same quotes over and over but none of them actually answer the question.

This is a store that absolutely no one here has any experience with so Microsoft is going to be the only ones who can answer it definitively.

• uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,602Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    @tenrdrmer you're right. Guys hold up on the Individual License purchase! It's not gonna give us access to sell stuff to the users Desktop Machine.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• Laudaiso.comLaudaiso.com Posts: 1Member
    Anyone try to generate a Windows 8 packet? I was press the generate button, and not thing show up, i was waiting for a day. it still show ' generating'. :(
  • GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Posts: 1,262Member, PRO
    Okey I tried to follow the thread but it seems I lost the key. When I have a game for iPad ready, I choose windows when publishing and can then publish for windows tablets? I am not interested in desktop games, only tablets seem interesting. Maybe someone could clear me up. Thank you

www.guavegames.wordpress.com
    www.tranrock.wordpress.com

• atxryanatxryan Posts: 117Member, Microsoft Team
    @tenrdrmer I work for Microsoft as a Developer Evangelist. I've also been working with GameSalad as they've developed their Windows 8 Store support.

Let me be absolutely clear here: Individual and Company accounts can *both* submit apps that run in the Windows 8 Runtime (formerly called Metro). This is the environment that GameSalad Creator is targeting for games and it is the environment that will run on all Windows 8 PCs, tablets, all-in-ones, etc. These devices may either be traditional x86 architecture or the new ARM tablet devices. Apps or games targeting WinRT will be available for purchase and installation through the store on all devices.

A Company account can *also* submit traditional desktop applications for listing in the store. As an example, I'll use the GameSalad Creator. This is a traditional desktop app that could be listed in the store. Rather than download this application through the store, a user would be directed to complete purchase and download at gamesalad.com.

**Disclosure: I am not a lawyer.** There are other considerations before choosing Individual or Company (taxes, etc), but none of these affect how your app is listed or who can install it. If you've already set up a business to sell your games on other platforms, you'll likely do the same for Windows 8. Please refer to this post for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/08/03/getting-paid-from-the-windows-store.aspx

Again, whether Individual or Company, your GameSalad generated game will be available for all Windows 8 devices. I hope I've helped clear this up.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Thanks @atxryan!

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @atxryan Thank you very much for clarifying this issue.

On another note, is it possible to target only PCs or only tablets?

No, and more importantly this would limit your game's market potential. Windows 8 will come on a wide variety of devices. I'm currently using a PC laptop with a touch screen. When I'm playing a game, I use the touch input like a tablet. Actually, I use the touch input *most* of the time, but always when I'm in game mode. :-)
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    @atxryan Does that mean we always submit a 'touch' version for Windows then? For example, when submitting to Mac app store (desktops), we have to change (our original iPhone/iPad) instructions like 'touch here to start' to 'click here to start', otherwise they would be rejected. With Windows having touch screen PCs - how do we know which version to submit, or do we have control over the devices submitted to?

Cheers!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    atxryan said:

No, and more importantly this would limit your game's market potential. Windows 8 will come on a wide variety of devices. I'm currently using a PC laptop with a touch screen. When I'm playing a game, I use the touch input like a tablet. Actually, I use the touch input *most* of the time, but always when I'm in game mode. :-)
    Which is why it is very important to make sure all of your apps accept both touch and keyboard controls when necessary.
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    As we take the screenshots of our games? The measures are different for Windows 8.
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Posts: 130Member
    Gamesalad does not have the ability to send data tables to an external server. So that means even though our games can run on Windows 8, Desktop, PC, or Tablet there is no way for our games to maintain a persistent state across those devices, is that correct?

On a different note, when the end user makes a purchase of the app through the Windows Store, will they have to purchase and download an copy for that device?(I know this is more of a Windows store question than a GameSalad question, just figured I would ask).

Gamesalad does not have the ability to send data tables to an external server. So that means even though our games can run on Windows 8, Desktop, PC, or Tablet there is no way for our games to maintain a persistent state across those devices, is that correct?

On a different note, when the end user makes a purchase of the app through the Windows Store, will they have to purchase and download an copy for that device?(I know this is more of a Windows store question than a GameSalad question, just figured I would ask).

I'll let GameSalad answer regarding future support for roaming data.

If I understand your second question correctly, you're asking if a user has to purchase multiple copies for multiple machines? Per the Store TOS, an end user may install an application on up to 5 devices associated with their Live ID. See "INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS; EXPIRATION." at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/store-terms-of-use
    edited September 2012
    Thanks @atxryan

Appreciate the response!!!

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    atxryan said:

A Company account can *also* submit traditional desktop applications for listing in the store. As an example, I'll use the GameSalad Creator. This is a traditional desktop app that could be listed in the store. Rather than download this application through the store, a user would be directed to complete purchase and download at gamesalad.com.

Atxryan, thanks for joining the forums to answer questions.

Just for my edification, the last part you mentioned about the user being directed to complete the purchase at gamesalad.com. This is just an example, correct? If we set up as a company through Microsoft we have the liberty of choosing our own method for recovering funds. (eg. https://gumroad.com/)
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    edited September 2012
    Well I'm guessing with tilt/accelerometer function games, you'll have to have a dual control set-up since you can't differentiate/target pc or tablet alone

Edit: just saw jonmulcahy's post above he he
    anyone having problems publishing this morning? It usually takes a few minutes to publish a windows8 build, but I've got 2 apps in queue for almost 20 minutes and another one almost 10.
    well it's been about 2 hours now and none of them have build. @saladstraightshooter can you check to see if anything is wrong with the win8 build server?
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Posts: 130Member
    atxryan said:

I'll let GameSalad answer regarding future support for roaming data.

Thanks atxryan!

@Gamasalad can you help regarding my earlier question regarding "roaming data"/ persistent game state across devices?

@jonmulcahy I have not had any luck so far in any builds for windows 8 right now I actually have one app that has been generating for a couple days. I've been to busy to troubleshoot much so far. Hoping support can help out with it.

tenrdrmer said:

@jonmulcahy I have not had any luck so far in any builds for windows 8 right now I actually have one app that has been generating for a couple days. I've been to busy to troubleshoot much so far. Hoping support can help out with it.

I've built 6 different apps as win8 builds.

1 of them generated perfect and plays as expected in win8
    1 of them generated fine but has strange bugs that don't make sense
    2 of them generated fine but has some serious bugs that prevent gameplay, I suspect these are table related ( but odd because game 1 above uses tables as well)
    1 of them I can't generate at all, it keeps failing after a few minutes
    the last one I tried generating this morning but it's hung. I then tried regenerating all of the above games after that one to try and see if I could fix anything, but they are all hung.

I successfully generated a long way home, and thats 100mb. thats the strange one above. it looks perfect, but random things don't rotate, and my guy doesn't jump.

I think i've waited a max of 5-10 min for anything to generate
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    A brilliant webinar, Big thanks to the Microsoft team for the answering of the questions!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    @atxryan
    If you wouldn't mind; You wouldn't know whom the local MicroSoft developer evangelist for Ireland (Munster/Cork/Dublin area) would be?
  • mELTINGsKYsTUDIOSmELTINGsKYsTUDIOS Posts: 158Member
    Cool news guys!
  • joerikerkhofjoerikerkhof Posts: 9Member
    I get this error when i try to publish to the windows 8 store:

Technical compliance: failed

This tests your app with the Windows App Certification Kit. You can also run this the test locally from the SDK. Learn more

One or more of the Windows App Certification Kit tests failed. Test your app with the Windows App Certification Kit on your computer to get more detailed info about this error.

Is this a bug of gamesalad creator(mac), or do i need to use gamesalad on my old windows pc?