GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Windows 8 and Windows Store Support!

Comments

• atxryanatxryan Posts: 117Member, Microsoft Team

A brilliant webinar, Big thanks to the Microsoft team for the answering of the questions!

Thanks!

@atxryan
    If you wouldn't mind; You wouldn't know whom the local MicroSoft developer evangelist for Ireland (Munster/Cork/Dublin area) would be?

I've reached out to find a contact for you. I encourage you to email me at ryanjoy [at] microsoft dot com to follow up offline.
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    @atxryan

So, if I wanted to make a game for Windows desktop, that requires the player to use a complex set of controls involving keyboard and mouse control at the same time, and I don't want to support tablet... this is impossible?

Will this ever be supported in future, the ability to specify which sorts of devices the game is compatible with?

I mean, if Call of Duty released a game through the Windows 8 Store, they wouldn't have to support tablet controls, right? Or would they? Is the store limited to apps that support all devices?

Cheers.

- Murray

• MammothMammoth Posts: 640Member
    Does this support the isTrial yet? Personally, MS's isTrial is probably one of the best monitization features
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Mammoth - we support the time trial system built into the Windows Store, which correlates to all supported devices. (Excluding Win 8 Phone, which isn't yet supported).

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@saladStraighShooter
    So what you are saying is that we will be able to manipulate our game based on the bool isTrail?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    Mammoth said:

@saladStraighShooter
    So what you are saying is that we will be able to manipulate our game based on the bool isTrail?

from my understanding is that you don't do anything with your game. When you create a time trial, say a day. the appstore itself handles the time. if you download it on monday, on tuesday the app won't launch anymore.

very easy and very flexible :)

In XBLIG you actually have an is Trail Bool as apart of their XNA framework. From there you can toggle features if you want.
    Mammoth said:

In XBLIG you actually have an is Trail Bool as apart of their XNA framework. From there you can toggle features if you want.

i could be wrong, but I think they only support time based trials in the win8 store right now. you give it a length of time, like a day, week or month, and when that time is up, windows won't open the app anymore.

That makes sense. I wonder if that functionality is built into visual studio.
  • wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    Will there be a Step by Step Guide on how to Export, Test, and then Publish to the Windows Store?
  • hi guys, how do i use the win8 app signer? I'm having issues signing the appx file.
  • ridhwaan08ridhwaan08 Posts: 8Member
    Great Webinar

Very Profesionally organized a huge thanks to microsoft and gamesalad for organizing it
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    Just in case it was missed, here is a link to the .pdf download for publishing to Windows 8

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017598/uploads/FileUpload/90/77da3b92ad768b7b4143a939694172.pdf

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

from my understanding is that you don't do anything with your game. When you create a time trial, say a day. the appstore itself handles the time. if you download it on monday, on tuesday the app won't launch anymore.

very easy and very flexible :)

This is exactly how I understood it as well. There is absolutely nothing you should have to do in your project for a trial version. The problem saw with the trial system though is they talked like you could not limit it to a few hours. Sometimes especially mobile games a few hours of gameplay you could easily be half way through the game. Hell even the last COD for PS3 I had the campaign completed in under something like 12 hours. So in all reality I think Microsoft needs to get trial options down to an hour or less for it to be really useful.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• dingosmoovdingosmoov Posts: 130Member
    @SaladStraightShooter any comment on my earlier question about persistent state across devices and how it can be maintained?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    @dingosmoov Currently no there is no option for anything like that. I would imagine @SSS answer would be something along the lines of when I know more I can tell you more. There might also be a mention of the upcoming roadmap announcement having more info but thats complete speculation.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• RiffelRiffel Posts: 1,272Member
    Can I subscribe a W8 developer account without a PC? post the form link please.
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    Riffel said:

Yeah, that does seem like an annoying issue. I clicked through a bunch of links and it was mostly blog pages. I didn't see a place to register. That's when I remembered — I'm sick of the app stores.

Did you try VirtualBox?
    https://www.virtualbox.org

I'd probably just ignore all this Windows 8 stuff, but I'm in the process of updating The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook. I'm thinking that people might be interested in learning about this stuff. Right now I'm really grumpy with it, so maybe I'll look at it again later.
  • I have set my scene camera size to 1366 x 768 (windows 8 default resolution), however when I run the game on Windows 8 with the resolution 1366x768, it doesn't fit. What camera size should i use?
    Riffel said:

I have more information about registering your Windows Developer account here: http://ryanjoy.com/2012/09/register-your-account-now-for-the-windows-store/
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    Many years ago, I tried out XNA. That's when I created a Windows Live account. It was too complicated for me. I wasn't very successful. My Windows account went dormant, and now appears to be deactivated. I was reminded of this frustration when I installed Windows 8. During installation, It wanted my email address. Unfortunately, my email appears to be attached to a broken Windows account...

http://photics.com/is-my-xbox-live-gamertag-lost-forever

Heh, I managed to be able to reset my password... even associate a second email account for passwords resets... but I still can't log in. Crazy Windows!

This problem put me in a bad mood. Fortunately, I could skip the whole login stuff. The weird stuff started happening when I was using Windows 8. Wow, this feels like a train wreck... and I like Microsoft! Where's the start button? Also, wow... not mouse friendly. I got stuck trying to adjust the settings. It's a good thing I remembered Alt+F4, as I didn't see any way to escape. And for some strange reason, it switched to a Windows 7 mode after trying to install GameSalad.

Also, while installing GameSalad on Windows, what up with the Media Splitter software... is that trustworthy? It seems to originate from a .su domain.

The good news is that I was able to use VirtualBox. Even though I have a Windows laptop, I like to work from my Mac. So if you only have a Mac, it seems that you can still check out Windows 8.

I'm still grumpy with this Windows stuff, but I get the feeling that I will try again.
  • robertkdalerobertkdale USAPosts: 912Member
    Amazing! Thanks GameSalad!

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

So could you please clarify, the Windows Store is ONLY for games that work on a tablet?

If the game only works on PC (and only supports keyboard and mouse controls), it can't be on the Windows Store?
    Hymloe said:

So could you please clarify, the Windows Store is ONLY for games that work on a tablet?

If the game only works on PC (and only supports keyboard and mouse controls), it can't be on the Windows Store?

Win8 will be on both tablets and normal pcs. Those pcs could have touchscreen or keyboard/mouse input.

You need to make sure any game you submit handles both control methods.
    Where will a game like Call of Duty be sold for Windows 8?

Seeing I can only assume it will not be able to be played with a touchscreen???

• MichaelK1985MichaelK1985 Posts: 36Member
    "Mac users will also be able to publish directly to the Win8 Store even if they do not have a computer running Windows, though testing will require a Windows device."

But I can't sign the App on my Mac. The Package is downloading, then App Download complete. I click next.

App signing settings but I can't click next! Nothing is here.
    http://i47.tinypic.com/20z4hue.png

How can I fix this? You qoute that it will work with Mac!
    What version GS are you using? When I click download from the website it just downloads a zip file

But I can't sign the App on my Mac. The Package is downloading, then App Download complete. I click next.

Hi Michael, I'm also not sure which link you're clicking, but you do not need to sign your app in order to submit it to the Windows Store. The Windows Store submission process will sign it.

Signing your app with a developer certificate using the AppSigner (available as .zip download) is only necessary if you want to take the downloaded package from GameSalad and sideload it on a device so you can test. Of course, testing like this is recommended, but it is not required.

• MichaelK1985MichaelK1985 Posts: 36Member
    edited October 2012
    Okay, I download a zip file but there's a *.appx and *.appxupload file in it. And I have to upload a XAP file. How can I do that?

Okay, I download a zip file but there's a *.appx and *.appxupload file in it. And I have to upload a XAP file. How can I do that?

It looks like you're attempting to submit to the Windows Phone marketplace. At this time, GameSalad can export apps for the Windows 8 and Windows RT devices you're beginning to see advertised. Devices such as the Microsoft Surface, or any laptop/desktop running Windows 8. Find out more about registering a developer account here: http://ryanjoy.com/2012/09/register-your-account-now-for-the-windows-store/

Once you're registered, you will upload the .appxupload file to the store for certification. If you have any questions concerning the Windows Store or Windows 8 specifically, please email me at ryanjoy [at] microsoft.com.