GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Windows Creator 0.10.0 Beta

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited September 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hi, everyone!

Today, we're launching GameSalad Creator for Windows 0.10.0 Beta. This release brings our Windows version in sync with Mac Creator 0.10.0. Included in this release are needed features already present in the Mac Creator, like Writable tables and the expression editor.

Updated UI

The latest version of Windows Creator features the updated UI previously teased here in the forum, created based on user feedback.

Writable tables for Windows:

Identical to the to the Mac version, this powerful feature is now available for our Windows users!

Expression editor:

Another feature identical to the Mac version, the expression editor adds much-awaited flexibility to your Windows creator projects!

Tile Attributes
Introduced in Mac 0.9.94, tile width and tile height attributes are now present in Windows Creator.

Windows 8 Support:
GameSalad now offers Windows 8 publishing support to all Pro users.

Playhaven Support
Windows Creator now supports behaviors / modifications for PlayHaven (pro only).

Where Do I Go:
Download GameSalad Creator for Windows 0.10.0 Beta

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,079Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited September 2012
    Awesome!
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    Omg... Two mega awesome news at the same time, I think I'm going to faint :)
  • @SaladStraightShooter can you go into some detail about the play haven modifications?
  • VGXVGX Posts: 796Member
    edited September 2012
    This is going to sound really stupid of me but I haven't used GS for windows because couldn't get it to work properly but after updating today all is very good. However (stupid part) I only have the basic version and if I make a game,
    What can I do with it?
    Where can I publish my game?
    Also can Mac project work on Windows now?

Thanks
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Dimensiongames - no modifications, per se - it just allows you to utilize the Playhaven behaviors via Windows Creator to add to your projects the same (at this time) as the Mac Creator's functionality.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• LedaroLedaro Posts: 18PRO
    Thanks for the new release! I've installed it. Great to have 'save' working (instead of having to 'save as'), and 'undo' works! Woohoo!

Not feeling the new layout though. I guess it follows the Mac layout, which I've never used :p

I understand the IU updates were based on user feedback, but I'm guessing a lot of that feedback was from Mac users trying out the Windows version, and just not liking the change. I've only ever used Windows, and found the UI was great.

Things I thought worked great in the last version:

1. The Behaviours window followed the dockable Backstage, which makes complete sense since they work together (now have to drag behaviours across monitors).

2. The Attribute window was also stuck to the left side of the Backstage, which meant on a second monitor it had full vertical screen space. Now it has to share space with the window above it.

So the UI is feeling cramped now... everything (except backstage) stuck on one monitor. Not sure why that's better... do most people really like it that way???

Any chance of having all windows dockable in the next update?? :-) That would rock.

But great to have a new update to play with!

Thanks again!
  • is it now possible to load my mac gamesalad projects to the windows editor? I want to get some of my games compiled for windows 8 without having to rewrite each project.
  • uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,597Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    @BinaryBiscuits you can simply publish to the Windows platform, using the Mac Creator. No need to use the Windows version unless u want to.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    Yes, Windows creator is now capable of opening a Mac created project file. I have had no problems with mine, so far.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• XOFXOF Posts: 4Member
    While all the updates, fixes, new features, and cleaned up GUI are fantastic improvements over the last build, I'm sad to say that it has been wildly unstable for me, I'm not sure if its because most of my project was built in the previous windows build or what, but its really frequently crashing. I literally have to save ever time I do anything, because the next thing I do makes it crash about 90% of the time. I didn't have these issues the previous build, so its been a bit bitter sweet for me.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Posts: 633Member
    While my experience isn't as bad as @XOF 's, it does crash every once in a while - like once every hour. But I've been working for around 6hrs straight now and It's only crashed, yeahp, 6 times. 3 of those crashes I kinda foresaw and I basically just tried to see if it would indeed crash, which it did every single time. Verdict was whenever I batch upload a bunch of images (40 at a time) it would crash without fail. I also experienced a couple slow downs (around twice), but nothing a restart didn't fix.

Over-all it's a BIG improvement for me coming from the first build and hating it, ultimately making me buy my first Mac so I can use the Mac Creator. Like I said I've been using it for around 6hrs straight now and I was able to complete I estimate 85% of my first game (a localized logos quiz). Keep it up GS! You guys are awesome. :D

0011 0010 0011 0010 0010 0000 0110 1101 0010 0000 0111 0011 0110 1001 0110 1110 0110 0111 0110 1100 0110 0101

• nicmarnicmar Posts: 7Member
    I might as well post here too, I tried the windows version. However, it didn't crash at all for me, for the duration I used it, about 45 minutes. But the strangest bugs occured, and it was practically unusable.

For the developers, please check out my long rant and bug report here, if you have the time:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/49876/serious-bugs-attributes-changing-on-reload

I love the idea of GameSalad and I really think it could be very fun to use, if it just worked :)
  • joshuawildejoshuawilde Posts: 96Member
    So...do we have a release date for the new Gamesalad???
  • mmcswain1mmcswain1 Posts: 1Member
    I love the mac version wayyy better! Why can't you make it like that for the windows users. It also has so many bugs I can't use it. Plus, all the tutorials are for the mac version! Please update the windows version to the mac version!
This discussion has been closed.