GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Status Update: 0.11.0 Mac Creator Release

Comments

• venon_itvenon_it Posts: 594Member, PRO
    But if i change resolution in gamesalad ( iphone 5 resolution ) i have a possibility to have a app only for iphone 5 ??
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @venon_it - not necessarily. We're introducing overscanning in this release that should account for that if someone downloads the app for an older phone. You could specify it's "iPhone 5 only" but I think people might still download it and want to play it on an older phone.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

perfect! but when arrive the new version?
  • wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO

@venon_it - not necessarily. We're introducing overscanning in this release that should account for that if someone downloads the app for an older phone. You could specify it's "iPhone 5 only" but I think people might still download it and want to play it on an older phone.

Will this be something that can be used for both ipad and iphone or is this just a fix for the new iphone 5? It seems that this could be used across all the devices couldn't it?

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @wpaten - that's correct. Overscanning will apply to all iOS devices. It is what will account for new devices like iPad minis without having to design a specific resolution target.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@wpaten - that's correct. Overscanning will apply to all iOS devices. It is what will account for new devices like iPad minis without having to design a specific resolution target.

Ok so forgive me for just stating the obvious...is this THE solution for Universal Apps that we have been hoping for from Gamesalad? 1 build for both ipad and iphone devices?

@wpaten - no, not yet. But that is being worked out.

Correction: Overscanning will apply to all devices, including Android.

• uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    Wows...this is sounding very interesting...looking forward to this release.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    That's going to be so nice! Can't wait!

Correction: Overscanning will apply to all devices, including Android.

So if I build it correctly, I will be able to upload one build to the ios App Store, and it will work across all the iphones and ipads? I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly, because this would be a fantastic advantage.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited October 2012
    @wpaten - no, that would be universal builds. I believe this new feature would give you the ability to detect which device the user has, and it would scale automatically. You would still have to publish one build to iPhone, and one to iPad if I understand correctly.
    @Braydon_SFX - Overscanning, as I understand it, is having extra graphics outside the bounds of the device. Longer/wider devices would be able to see it.

I was trying to understand if this meant that 1 build would do the trick for the ios store, or if the Overscanning would apply, but it would still require separate builds. 1 build for phones and itouch's and another separate build for the ipads.

• YoRoosterYoRooster Posts: 159Member
    I'm a little concerned about this overscanning feature. Will it be something we can decide to use or discard if we prefer to create a device specific build? I can see the benefits in aiming for this universal build but I would not consider creating my current game for an ipad in the same way as I am for an iphone. When I decide later to produce an ipad version of my game I don't simply want to allow the ipad to view more of my level or simply double the scale of my graphics. The larger screen real estate might open up other opportunities for ipad specific features and I might want to be more subtle with the scaling of my graphics. I'd just like to know we would still have that level of control rather than being forced to use a one size fits all project template?
    Ok i just NOW read through the Road Map. Aspect ratio independence and Universal Builds are being treated as 2 separate things (as they should). Sorry for the confusion on my part.

New GS version will include Aspect Independence. Universal Builds may or may not be included as I read it then.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    Looking forward to the new release guys! @SaladStraightShooter, forgive my ignorance, but how exactly will the development process be affected by Overscanning / Aspect Ratio Independence? Is this something that GameSalad handles entirely behind the scenes, or is there something we need to do on the graphic and/or development side?

- Alex
  • TheSkinTheSkin Posts: 74Member
    a question on the overscanning: if I have a game developed for iPhone ... I can publish it on the iPad by simply replacing images with other images with a higher resolution? or do I resize the actors to fit the screen resolution of the iPad? how does the overscanning work with text display behavior?
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    So.. any idea when this next update is happening?
  • uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    @RacetotheMoon had a few things that needed fixing, so coming up very shortly now i'd expect.

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited November 2012
    @uptimistik Sure. I know that feel bro..
    The cooks suggested implementing a feature to turn off overscanning if you so chose. This required additional dev time to avoid similar requests/complaints about overscanning in the future.

This is why we have the process of pre-release... to identify changes like this rather than simply shoveling it out the door.

We're looking tentatively at early next week for the prime-time release. Thanks for your patience.

edited November 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter

On average how many versions of Gamesalad get released each year? After 0.11.0 is out, can we realistically expect the next version to come out with the new engine, or will their be one before that?

Whilst the new engine is great and all, I am more interested in the Universal Binaries personally.

edited November 2012
    @wpaten - it depends entirely on the complexity of the feature set being brought to bear, the development cycle, and potential roadblocks. So it can vary.

This release will actually be 0.10.2 - which is intended to keep the revision numbers closer in alignment with Windows so it's clearer which are compatible.

The next version after will not contact the engine - however, we are nearing public testing, so it's not too far in the future.

Ok very good. Like I said, Universal Binaries is what I am most interested in, and I know from the Roadmap, that feature is not tied to the new engine anyways. Looking forward to what's coming up. :-)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef

The cooks suggested implementing a feature to turn off overscanning if you so chose. This required additional dev time to avoid similar requests/complaints about overscanning in the future.

This is why we have the process of pre-release... to identify changes like this rather than simply shoveling it out the door.

We're looking tentatively at early next week for the prime-time release. Thanks for your patience.

and trust me, it's worth the wait. the ability to enable/disable overscan is fantastic.
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    which is exactly overscan? thanks
  • Primo.TMPrimo.TM Posts: 35PRO
    Any tips on how exactly the bigger resolution will be handled and what will be needed to make our games "universal"?
  • boredaholicboredaholic Posts: 47Member
    Any plans on a multiplayer function? I remember reading about it somewhere but can't find it anymore.
    I believe there is a brief mention in the Roadmap of multiplayer functionality.

I believe there is a brief mention in the Roadmap of multiplayer functionality.

the new version will be released this week?
This discussion has been closed.