GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Status Update: 0.11.0 Mac Creator Release

Comments

• famekraftsfamekrafts Posts: 734Member, BASIC

@saladshooter sounds great, will be waiting.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Hey guys - another update on the release: While I never like telling you guys the dates are shifting - especially when there are critical updates/fixes incoming - we are looking at next week as the release date. Our line cooks and internal QA identified significant issues that needed to be addressed before the release goes prime time.

We apologize for being unable to deliver as intended this week, but hope that you will understand our wanting to deliver the best product possible.

Cheers,
    -SSS

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member, PRO
    Yep better having a solid release than a buggy one. I can wait another week.....

Has anyone confirmed if Playhaven for Android is in this release? I have given up on them implementing Admob :(
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited November 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter Will the update come with a GS dev included to unleash on him our repressed rage for being unable, since May, to publish a Mac game? In that case I will be willingly to wait another week :)

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO

Yep better having a solid release than a buggy one. I can wait another week.....

+1
  • epicstagepicstag Posts: 132PRO
    Will a change list be released prior to the build going live?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @camelCase - we don't provide change lists, per se, but I can probably post the release notes prior to this release so you know what's contained therein.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• RThurmanRThurman Posts: 2,818Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    Thanks GameSalad team for having the discipline to delay release of the next beta update. Its 1000% better to hold off until significant issues are resolved.

Though its frustrating for end users to be put on hold -- its even worse for them to try to use a product that is unstable/unusable/unacceptable.
  • lukejnrlukejnr Posts: 63Member
    @SaladStraightShooter posting the release notes would be awesome so we have a peak at what's coming. Thanks for the update.
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    Wow.. I'm glad everyone else is happy about this. :\
    @RacetotheMoon - I don't think anyone is happy about it - including myself. But this is a necessity to assure we don't put out a release that results in the delays and issues you're experiencing.

• IcedBIcedB Posts: 384Member, PRO
    Release notes would be cool, kinda critical now with xmas approaching, cheers

Check out my other apps at and get in touch with me at : www.freshtouchmedia.com

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    edited November 2012
    I think GS and SSS has def been handling things well, better for us to know what's coming and when it gets delayed, it's not so much about always getting updates but more about planning ahead because every time an update comes we get to work on "our" updates=) helps me keep my day job and work on this on the side, and not stress over it.. perfect!
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Posts: 109Member
    @SaladStraightShooter

Just checked out the release note for 0.10.1. There's no mention of a fix for the Mac App Store bug re Sandboxing - preventing us from publishing. Can u confirm this has been fixed in this release? Its been a LONG wait.

Also, this discussion thread is about 0.11.0 and yet your release notes are for 0.10.1. I'm confused - has a mistake been made here - I'm assuming they are both referring to the NEXT release of the Mac Creator.

Many thanks

James
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited November 2012
    @JamesLewis The sandboxing problem was fixed in one of the previous releases. This release fixes the problem with Mac apps names that caused many rejections.

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    edited November 2012
    @RacetotheMoon to be completely honest, I agree with you and yet disagree at the same time.. well portions of your comments at least.

GS is just one of many ways you can develop mobile games, and as a serious developer you shouldn't just rely on a single tool, just as a master artist doesn't rely on a single brush (well in most cases) it's more about understanding the needs of your vision and how you will carry out those vision.

I said I agree with you because I used to develop full time on GS and to be quite frank you have to be darn good to be at the game to be a developer full time and make good money, it also comes down to how much you strives to make as a full time developer. it's certainly do able as there are members who makes a ton and members who makes just enough to go by.

Personally I've decided to develop on the side while keeping my day job, and for that purpose GS is perfect. (I'd even say for ANY student, a part time development while going through school, it'd be worthwhile) if you are really serious about development, use GS for what it's good at and other tools for their strength. there is rarely one single tool/service that will cater to all needs, and understanding what you want to achieve first seems like a good way to find the right tool for the job.

(just from my experience, developing for the past year or so.) GS does have it's merits, and yes professionals do use GS.

p.s. sometimes i'm quite upset at how long it takes for updates, but at the same time, as my first segway into mobile world, i can't be grateful enough for it's existence, I may move on but wouldn't discount it because it can't grow with me. a Segway is a Segway not a Car (and Pun intended)
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Posts: 109Member
    @MarkOnTheIron Yup, you're right - just checked the resolution centre in iTunes Connect.... its the name issue - Output 18.... and yes this is mentioned in the release notes.

Cheers
  • CluvCluv Posts: 229Member
    @straightsaladshooter :

I just got an email about the beta for iOS 6.1. Will you please update us if/when the Dev team takes a look at it, and if they foresee any issues? Thanks!
  • ElfizmElfizm Posts: 489Member
    edited November 2012
    Well I first read this a while ago and was over the moon about how many things were getting in a few days or a week.

When you first join GameSalad the first thing you notice is the drag and drop. If thats simple, how complex is engine going to be you would ask your self. But like everything you work around things and before you know it you have made a game. :) and some are quite complex.

But what you read every day or every week is people complaining about features they don't have. Why not spend the time creating something that excels the features that you do have. People have learnt it and it's possible. Like the bejeweled and flow free template. It may be hard to do it but think our hard it would be using code. My opinion is that people want to be able to create a complex million dollar game in a few weeks. Its not going to happen and blaming GS is not the answer.

If people in general had some experience with working with companies ect, complaining only goes so little, why not give suggestions has to why you need it or recommendations and if it's already listed in the to do list, stop asking it will come.

Improvements would be great, but don't design a game and then use GS. Design your game using GS. :) if that makes sense. I wish you guys all the best and can't wait for update.

Everything is my opinion and sorry of you disagree.

Elfizm
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    @elfizm +1 I've been saying that for years. This isn't a get rich quick business or easy. It involves work.
  • FirstDanFirstDan Posts: 208Member
    i think everyone needs to understand that Gamesalad is an ongoing improving software, although the fixes are not prompt, we should all understand how complex developing something like GameSalad is.

Gamesalad is a great learning tool to get into, in terms of learning how to create a game, so give it some slack...
    What does the fact that they are constantly improving have to do with critical updates? We all know that software has bugs, and those bugs are constantly being fixed, but asking for a timeline on improvements is not complaining, though some on the forums might not ask in the nicest ways possible.

Yes, it involves work, but keeping us in the dark saying, "it's coming soon," to me, isn't good enough. You wouldn't expect that from a professional artist or sound engineer when you hire them for a project. Why is it OK here? I, myself, don't doubt GameSalad, but I don't think it is ever unreasonable to ask what the heck is going on.
    edited November 2012
    Frankly, we're a business. While to a certain extent we are beholden to you to provide updates on new releases, which we do provide regularly, we are not required to give increasingly more specific, down-to-the-minute updates of our internal workings. We aren't a contractor and no one hired us - we create a product that you utilize... that thousands of people utilize. While you did invest in the use of this product, and we value that, you invested in the product for your own use much the same way you might buy a developer license with Apple or a license to use Adobe products.

Releases are a concerted effort of many different teams and engineers internally. This is not a simple "flip a switch" process, nor has it ever been. Sometimes timelines need to be adjusted to account for new issues or adjust for features that may need a bit more examination. We provide our due diligence by updating with as much clarity as possible, whenever possible. For this reason giving those specific to-the-minute updates isn't practical or reasonable for any company, much less ours.

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO

Frankly, we're a business. While to a certain extent we are beholden to you to provide updates on new releases, which we do provide regularly, we are not required to give increasingly more specific, down-to-the-minute updates of our internal workings. We aren't a contractor and no one hired us - we create a product that you utilize... that thousands of people utilize. While you did invest in the use of this product, and we value that, you invested in the product for your own use much the same way you might buy a developer license with Apple or a license to use Adobe products.

Releases are a concerted effort of many different teams and engineers internally. This is not a simple "flip a switch" process, nor has it ever been. Sometimes timelines need to be adjusted to account for new issues or adjust for features that may need a bit more examination. We provide our due diligence by updating with as much clarity as possible, whenever possible. For this reason giving those specific to-the-minute updates isn't practical or reasonable for any company, much less ours.

As a business owner myself, I could not agree more with this.

Imagine if all the people who purchase your apps on iTunes ranted and raved the way some people do on the forums, about your app and more specifically, your business. And then they tell you that because they spent their money on your app, they deserve to get the fine details of what you are working on next. And that the way you send out your updates is completely unacceptable, and your payment structure is too high, it should be way lower.

It gets insulting after awhile.

You try your best to incorporate the ideas and complaints of your end users, IF IT FITS INTO YOUR BUSINESS PLAN, but that does not mean that the users dictate the course of the business model. That's just lunacy, because there would not be a single unified vision. Just the continuos ramblings of an unhappy mob.

Daggum people, cut them some slack.
    I would respectfully disagree that anyone, or at least I am, asking for to the minute updates on the status of updates. And, just like Apple's review process, I think you would avoid a lot of redundant questions from this community by providing at least a date range, which of course, you could change whenever. You are in fact, the creator of the product.

I do feel, that this comment about your internal workings is a bit belittling. Of course there are multiple dev groups. Of course the timelines are changing. You are telling me you don't have a date in mind that you can share?

You aren't required to do anything. You already have my money and like I said before, we are all invested in your success.

So, if you have a tentative date and care to share it, I would personally appreciate it.
    edited November 2012
    @Cluv - the date range was provided - and when the time frame had to be adjusted, I updated once more. We're shooting for today.

@straightsaladshooter: thanks man.
This discussion has been closed.