GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release notes prior to release - should we provide them?

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited November 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hey guys,

Given our release schedule, and the features everyone wants/have been waiting on, I took a suggestion from one of the members and applied it here: Should we provide you the release notes (a list of all features/updates/bug fixes) prior to the release? Or would this be too confusing - (i.e.: I see the notes, where's our release?).

This would be intended to give you a heads up to know what to expect, of course.

Release notes prior to release - should we provide them? 58 votes

Yes!
91%
jonmulcahyMantoblondonDimensionGamesJuggerTheSkinjoshuawildeYoRoosterTeam6LabsJohnPapiomitisEatingMyHatBBEnkold_kipperGLGAMEScapitalcarnageYovanny369MeinMilchKaffeesghavimhotMagicJoVe 53 votes
No - we like the surprise.
1%
lycettebros 1 vote
I thought there was a forum badge for answering this poll.
6%
MarkOnTheIronIsabelleKfloydianspiralbjandthekatz 4 votes

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Posts: 371Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes!
    An upcoming changes and fixes post seems like a good idea, seems to work for Blizzard so why not GS.

Having said that it may turn into a whine affair if there is a delay and someone was wanting a specific fix from the list sooner than you folks were ready.
  • epicstagepicstag Posts: 132PRO
    Yes!
    I know from my obsession with Diablo 3(past obsession, thank goodness), that having release notes prior to the patch was very exciting, and helpful. Yes vote here.
  • ChimoruChimoru Posts: 137Member, PRO
    Yes!
    I said yes, but I hope it doesn't result in release notes that include features that end up being delayed, because people might get upset, but if they are consistently accurate then definitely!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    Yes!
    I think it's a good idea to send out a post the day before a release is coming out so people can anticipate what is going on. More news is always a good thing :)
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Yes!
    @Aquadel - the release notes would contain everything coming in the release - if one component is delayed, the entire release would then be delayed until it was addressed. Not the best news, but sometimes a necessity. :)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• famekraftsfamekrafts Posts: 604Member
    Yes!
    we can wait no problem, but a release note will really help. Instead of instantly upgrading to a new version, we can decide whether we should wait a day or two to upgrade or not, depending upon the release and our current app/game status.

A new upgrade can have bugs( hopefully you will try to fix them before release) but still thinking practically, a release note will really help to choose between instant upgrade and a delayed one depending on the new versions features.

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    So... where can I receive my forum badge, for answering this poll? :P
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    Yes!
    I would definitely release the notes prior to release.. I think this will help keep everyone on the same page, and stop everyone from making so many threads on the exact same topic asking about whats coming. Basically the plus side is that it'll help keep our forum clean, and it'll help everyone plan out what they'll do when the release does launch, so that they're ready to jump right in to it!

John
  • wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    Yes!
    I know for me personally I would want to see what's coming up in the next release. If for no other reason than I know what to expect. Everyone probably has "their thing" that they are waiting on. Mine is Universal Builds. If I know that it is not in this next release then I don't have to obsess over it, and also don't have to get let down that it wasn't in this version.
  • epicstagepicstag Posts: 132PRO
    Yes!
    wpaten said:

I know for me personally I would want to see what's coming up in the next release. If for no other reason than I know what to expect. Everyone probably has "their thing" that they are waiting on. Mine is Universal Builds. If I know that it is not in this next release then I don't have to obsess over it, and also don't have to get let down that it wasn't in this version.

I'd have to agree. There are some people on here that make a bit of their livelihood through Gamesalad, and having as much information as possible at our fingertips, helps us make proper business decisions.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    I want the badge too :)

On a side note, I think I prefer the full release notes to be posted along the new release, otherwise I foresee a lot of "Why didn't you include ? Do it now!"

As it is now, with a vague hint at the expected features, is good enough for me.

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Yes!
    Definitely - Gives us something to look forward to!
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Posts: 308Member, PRO
    I think it would only help to release them early, that way users have a chance to prepare their pitchforks prior to release : p. More transparency always helps imo.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    I think it would help let people know what is coming, and like JohnP said, maybe stop all the "What's in it?" threads.

Although, at the same time it could open the door up for more "GameSalad is ridiculous, it's been a week since the release notes, and I need *such and such* feature, or my company will fail, so when is it coming out?" threads.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,513Member
    Yes!
    This way we know what will come next, and what won't come next, so we can plan our schedules in advance. It also lets us know when we're nearing the next releas. In other words we won't be sitting around waiting for a release which we know nothing of/dont know when its coming.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlPosts: 1,375Member
    Can I get the badge?

I personally think you should give some details about the update (feature wise) but not the whole thing because as @floydianspiral said, people will want everything in it
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,076Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Yes!
    Wait what? Is there a badge? :O
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    Yes advanced info is better imo
  • lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member
    I vote No.
    I would really hate it to receive release notes ahead of time and then the release gets back dated (as it often does) and the resulting frustration would build and build.

I'd love early release notes ONLY if a release date was guaranteed (and that is probably impossible).
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Yes!
    @lycettebros - I will only post the release notes of the finalized feature/fix set, approved by the internal team for clarity. This list will always be accurate in terms of what will be found in the release. Though delays may naturally occur, the list will still be accurate to go by.

That being said, the release notes for 0.10.1 are now available:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/50815/upcoming-release-0-10-1-advance-release-notes

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,076Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Yes!
    @SaladStraightShooter - are we able to drag and drop images again with the new release?
  • lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member
    Overscan is an interesting solution - look forward to trying that!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    Yes!

Overscan is an interesting solution - look forward to trying that!

It's gong to be very powerful if you take it into account when planning a game.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    @Braydon_SFX - Yes, drag and drop was fixed
This discussion has been closed.