GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing GameSalad Creator Mac Beta 0.10.1

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited November 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello Everyone,

Today we're launching GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.1 Beta. This release includes many needed fixes, support for the some of the latest devices like the iPhone 5, as well as a much-anticipated new feature that ties into this added support – Overscanning.

Overscanning:

The device market is ever-changing, with new devices and resolutions becoming available almost monthly. To address and account for this going forward, we’re introducing Overscan. Overscan chooses the best fit for your project based on varied device aspect ratios, without distorting game assets. This ensures projects will be full screen on every device. Based on user feedback we also implemented a method to disable this feature as needed, allowing for forced letterboxing on legacy devices, giving you the flexibility to determine what better suits your individual needs.

App signing improvements:

One of the largest issues to arrive with the previous release of Web Publishing was the somewhat confusing portions’ of the interface. Issues like, “Error Code 3” highlighted the need for obvious improvements of the supporting systems. As a result, we are introducing better error messaging, improved feedback on publishing progress (upload/download bars) as well as publishing flow automation. We hope this improvements help to clarify and enhance your publishing experience, as well as giving you (and us) the information necessary to resolve issues faster and get back to what you do best – game development!

Key Fixes:

This release also includes many notable fixes detailed HERE.

Where Do I Go?
Download GameSalad Creator for Mac 0.10.1 Beta
Download iOS Viewer
Download Android Viewer
Read Full Release Notes
Cookbook - Aspect Ratios and you!
Free Overscan Template

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,115Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Nice! Thanks all - Overscan is going to save TONS of time!
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    edited November 2012
    Just to be clear.. Overscanning != Universal builds?

Also, does the link at the bottom go to version 10.1 or 10.0? because it current states 10.0 Beta.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    I assume you were trying to "Does not equal" - Overscanning does not equal Universal binaries/builds.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,115Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Right, but its one step closer! :D
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Racetothemoon - typo on my part. Fixed - the link goes to the download page.

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    @StraightSaladShooter Thanks for the clarification. :)
  • glyniusglynius Posts: 231Member
    cool...thanks
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Posts: 308Member, PRO
    I see iPhone5 resolution is supported but I'm confused because we can't build something for iPhone 5 and then scale it down for other iPhone sizes can we? Wouldn't this require two builds or will overscan work to downsize for 4 and 4s? Sorry I'm on mobile
    edited November 2012
    Hey guys - We'll hopefully have a video tutorial on how to use the Overscan feature over at www.gshelper.com later on today. Hopefully this will help with the questions ya'll have.
  • CluvCluv Posts: 229Member
    This is great! Thanks for all the hard work. Something came up so I can't do the webinar tomorrow, but I am excited to check it out as soon as it up on the web.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Delighted with this! - worth the delay..... Thanks again GS team
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    edited November 2012
    Here is the link to the official documation on the overscanning and letterbox feature.
    Sorry for not posting this link sooner.
  • robertkdalerobertkdale USAPosts: 912Member
    Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• nikkonnikkon Posts: 111Member, PRO
    Is there a way to show an outline/border of what will be cropped within gamesalad.

From a design view when making a game which would be full screen on iphone4 and 5. Its annoying to have to load the preview > select between iPhone landscape and legacy iphone landscape + crop to see what will be cropped.

It would be good if you could enable a border outline in gamesalad which shows you quickly what would be cropped. Then you know not to put actors in the crop area..

hope that makes sense. :)
  • garylgaryl Posts: 38PRO
    edited November 2012
    Really nice to work on the retina MacBook Pro :) Just made a game and uploaded for the App Store! Everything works great!
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    edited November 2012
    @nikkon currently no. There is not an overlay in the scene editor that show you what is cropped. However thank you for your feed back it is something I would like to included in a future release.

@nikkon currently no. There is not an overlay in the scene editor that show you what is cropped. However thank you for your feed back it is something I would like to included in a future release.

Cool, for the time being ill just set the camera tracking area to the aspect ratio of iphone 4 when designing.

• squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    Cropping iPhone 5 to accommodate legacy iPhones works to an extent, but obviously items such as controls and scores will have to be placed in a more central position so it is not cropped as well. This will look odd when displayed on the iPhone 5. Is it possible to 'detect' the device and apply a constrain position rule to certain actors? ie if device is iphone5 constrain position X to a certain value otherwise contrain X to another value?
    edited November 2012
    @squirrel42 - yes and no, for actors no for the camera. You can detect the device using the Devices.Screen.Size attribute. However you can not calculate the edge of the screen with game logic. We will elaborate on this more at the webinar.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Posts: 620Member
    edited November 2012
    Can't wait to try it! I can finally use GS on my new iPod!
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Posts: 109Member
    @blackcloakGS re @squirrel42 iPhone5 device detection... you're saying its possible to move an actor to a specific position depending on the device screen size...? If so, great...

I have another question... why in the Creator do we have an option of Letterbox and Crop, and yet when one goes to publish its Letterbox and Overscan... I'm assuming Overscan is the same as Crop... I think it would be best to use 1 name for this rather than 2 - could cause confusion...

Great update... and yes some sort of overlay feature would be great...
  • games4fungames4fun Posts: 185Member
    Do we need to need to update our apps in order for them to be played on the iphone 5 or iphones with os6.

Also if we have a app that has indepence resolution for iphone 4 and choose the overscanning feature how will the resolution show on on the iphone 5 and will it still have it for the iphone 4. Do we need 2 indepence resolutions one for the iphone 4 and 5?

Thanks
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member

Cropping iPhone 5 to accommodate legacy iPhones works to an extent, but obviously items such as controls and scores will have to be placed in a more central position so it is not cropped as well. This will look odd when displayed on the iPhone 5. Is it possible to 'detect' the device and apply a constrain position rule to certain actors? ie if device is iphone5 constrain position X to a certain value otherwise contrain X to another value?

We need something like

If iPhone 5
    Spawn button actor in this coordinates

If iPhone 4
    Spawn button actor in other coordinates

But I guess maybe this will came with universial binaries...

• slinky1988slinky1988 Posts: 89Member, PRO
    Awesome!

Bom Chicka Wah Wah

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    For those using the overscan for iPhone, drop this onto your scene and keep your elements in the green 'safe' area then remove it.

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

• thebitmasterthebitmaster Posts: 75PRO
    edited November 2012
    I got a Certificate error and had to override it to get the Viewer DL in the first place. I'm using the viewer link on the GS main page here:

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/download/getViewer

Anyone else seeing this?
  • TokuharaTokuhara Posts: 94Member
    Can I use a rule to detect the screen size and move the actors to a position if the screen is 1136px?

Example:
    Rule
    if Screen.Size.Width = 1136
    Change attribute Self.Position.Y to 500
    Tokuhara said:

Can I use a rule to detect the screen size and move the actors to a position if the screen is 1136px?

Example:
    Rule
    if Screen.Size.Width = 1136
    Change attribute Self.Position.Y to 500

it works if you set it to screen.size.width = 568 (for iphone 5) & 480 (for iphone 4)

just tested it

• TokuharaTokuhara Posts: 94Member
    @nikkon - That's great!

• mounted88mounted88 Posts: 1,113Member
    I just uploaded a app and the status changed to missing screen shot. So does that mean i need to include screen shots for iphone 5? I have the legecy iphone screen shots in there so i know thats not it. Any suggestions?

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

This discussion has been closed.