GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad breaks on Android 4.2

Comments

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    @SaladStraightShooter - Cool, thanks

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    @SaladStraightShooter ... Any news on this?? Im getting several emails over the last few days where Nexus 7 users can't start my game LAD. It seems they're running 4.2 as well. Cheers
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Posts: 1,162Member
    Yeah I'm still waiting for a fix too after numerous customer email complaints.
  • s4ndm4ns4ndm4n Posts: 13PRO
    It would be good to get an update on this. My apps dont work on 4.2. They start, graphics appear wrong and then it shuts down. I sent a bug report too but i think this will result in alot of bad reviews if its not sorted. I can already see LAD has been getting bad reviews on googleplay because of this which could affect long term sales.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    We're investigating the cause of the crash. This update was reported to be a "light" update from Google, and wasn't intended to be anything that have a negative impact. Obviously that's not exactly the case.

It's effecting three devices at this time. Unfortunately one of them is a very popular one.

I'll update when I learn more... but I unfortunately have nothing else to offer at this time.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MarcoColMarcoCol Posts: 230Member, PRO
    My apps also crashing a few seconds after starting on 4.2. The test device is a Google Nexus.
    The crash also occur after the last system-patch-update from google at last weekend.
    A GS-fix would be good, because I got every day a lot of mails and some order-cancelations.
    s4ndm4n said:

It would be good to get an update on this. My apps dont work on 4.2. They start, graphics appear wrong and then it shuts down. I sent a bug report too but i think this will result in alot of bad reviews if its not sorted. I can already see LAD has been getting bad reviews on googleplay because of this which could affect long term sales.

Yup .. Very frustrating. I had a really good overall rating until this issue occurred, now its dragged it down loads with all the 1 stars wont load reviews. Hope GS fix it soon, this should be a priority.

@SaladStraightShooter Thanks for the update mate, its nice to know you have identified it to be effecting 3 devices and are seen to be working on it right away.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Fix is incoming, guys. It's a binary push, so it won't require a hotfix rev. I'll update when I have confirmation from QA that it's been released to the wild.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sounds good. Any raw schedule for it?
  • Bump - My latest app loads on Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, both 4.2.1 and crashes after the splash screen.
    SSS: You mean Fix for GS or an fix for Android 4.2? I can confirm, that the games crashes too on 4.2.1...
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @MarcoCol As I understand they will fix the GS servers to include a solution for the 4.2 problems, so that new published builds should support it.

It's a fix for the publishing binaries that allows for the 4.2 changes. You'll obviously need to update the app once the binaries go live. They should be ready this morning if QA gives the green light.

• ThinkingGardenThinkingGarden Posts: 26Member
    @SaladStraightShooter Good to hear a fix is imminent because I am losing paying customers too :-(
    Fix has now been pushed - update your app to absorb the new binaries. Let me know if there are any issues.

Funny side note: Google forgot to add the month of December.

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    Good stuff, thanks for the update.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• Thanks for the fix, going to go try it now!
    Any chance we can get a quick description of what the issue was so I can report back to my co-workers?
    edited December 2012
    @mattrouse1 - Google fixed a bug on their end that we had accounted for in our binaries. Much the same as when we fix a bug and our devs might need to readjust when compensating for it, that's precisely what happened. The bug was in how Android handled buffer memory, and their fix addressed how to properly reset it. We adjusted accordingly, and voila!

• Sounds great thank you. Strangely this coincided with our first tablet-sized android release so everyone was stumped on why it worked on Kindle but not on a Nexus 7.
    @SaladStraightShooter Awesome news, thanks for the quick resolution, much appreciated.
    Do we need to re-upload our builds and then publish or can we just re-publish our builds that are already uploaded to the web publishing service?

Cheers
    I can confirm, it worked now on my test system (Google-Nexus) with 4.2...
    @beefy_Clyro - you should be able to just republish using the existing build you have uploaded.

@SaladStraightShooter I have now republished and uploaded the new version and I have had a review this morning saying it still does not work. Can one of your testing guys try it on a Nexus 7? It's killing my reviews!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kc8.ladkindle&feature=apps_topselling_paid#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLG51bGwsImNvbS5rYzgubGFka2luZGxlIl0.

I will reimburse the payment if needed.

If anyone could try and confirm I would hugely appreciate it as I have released the update saying it fixes the issue and according to the review today it does not and I look very silly due to this! If anyone can purchase and confirm, I will reimburse.

Thanks
  • PixelMetalPixelMetal Posts: 283Member
    edited December 2012

@beefy_Clyro - you should be able to just republish using the existing build you have uploaded.

Still having an issue as well. A lot of instances of text not appearing and what looks like some type of graphics corruption:

Simulator:

Galaxy Nexus Stock Android 4.2.1:

Simulator:

Galaxy Nexus Stock Android 4.2.1:

Testing this also made me notice text placement is also screwed up on older versions of Android. The two text lines in the top-left corner are displayed on two different actors located at the exact same x coordinates, of the same width, yet the text on the actor with the larger font is offset to the left by quite a bit.

Tranformer TF-101 4.0.3:

It offsets even MORE on Android 2.3.3 on an HTC EVO 4G, but I figure the point is made with the above screenshot.

And I have to say, a) being forced to keep those stock Android OS buttons on-screen and b) not being able to use them for anything but the frustration of users who accidentally touch them and get booted out of the app, which seems to restart from the beginning if the home button is bumped thus losing all player data because GS doesn't allow a save when one of those OS buttons is pressed, encourages the belief that a special kind of insanity I was previously sure was reserved for those poor characters in HP Lovecraft stories has affected the development team. Seriously, stay away from that multidimensional portal, guys.

It also ensures that it blurs pixel-perfect graphics formatted for the supposed resolution of the screen. Y'know, because people like feeling that they might need glasses. And since we can't check if those controls are on-screen or are hardware buttons, we can't really compensate for them in any way by resizing the app on-screen.

So, totally awesome. And by awesome I mean terrible.

Or, maybe awesome if you totally don't like nice things.
    @PixelMetal Any chance you could try out LAD on your Nexus? as I take it GS won't be around till Monday.

That's horrible to see all those problems on yours! Have you tried rebuilding and seeing if the same happens? Might get better results reuploading as a new project and republishing.
    edited December 2012

@PixelMetal Any chance you could try out LAD on your Nexus? as I take it GS won't be around till Monday.

Are there private messages on these boards so I can give you an email address to send to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the link now. Will test and get back to you.

That's horrible to see all those problems on yours! Have you tried rebuilding and seeing if the same happens? Might get better results reuploading as a new project and republishing.

I'll try starting a new project with it. I'd literally just made the .apk I was testing before that post so I'd imagine the updates should have affected the project in some positive way, but...nope.

It crashes immediately after the loading screen. I don't think they've fixed what they think they've fixed.

It crashes immediately after the loading screen. I don't think they've fixed what they think they've fixed.

@PixelMetal Oh dear!!! I'm not happy about this! Thanks for confirming! Soo frustrating to be told this has fixed the problem when it really hasn't.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @PixelMetal @beefy_clyro Have you tried to update the sdk to the latest version? I updated it before I republished my app and the problem was resolved.

@MarkOnTheIron .. No, I just used my already uploaded build and republished. Where do I upgrade the SDK from?
This discussion has been closed.