GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing iOS Universal Binaries

Comments

• lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member, PRO
    Yeah baby!
  • anatomyofdreamsanatomyofdreams Posts: 723Member
    This may be a dumb question but what does this mean for screenshots? Do you make the screenshots for ipad or iphone or iphone 5? Render me confused. Hehe. But anyways fantastic news!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,121Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    You can upload both while publishing, @anatomyofdreams .
  • anatomyofdreamsanatomyofdreams Posts: 723Member
    edited January 2013
    @braydon_SFX well that answers that one now doesn't it. haha. Thanks! On an unrelated note, I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but I'm currently trying to publish with universal binary and it keeps getting stuck on App Signing Settings. It just does nothing. Probably not the place to post this, but I was curious if anyone else had the same problem. I've been publishing the same game to iphone with no problem.

EDIT: Just a heads up if anyone has the problem i mentioned- just cancel out of it and then hit APP SIGN. Did the trick. For whatever reason when i just did the download game part of publishing it would hang up on app signing settings. Canceling and then hitting APP SIGN in publisher worked.
  • dukie234dukie234 Posts: 12Member
    Nice! <:-P
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    You know it's a good feature when @Photics likes it ;)

Great job on this one guys! Glad to see everything is handled server-side, hopefully that will mean faster fixes / improvements! Looking forward to seeing the GS Helper video for this awesome feature in the coming days.

Good work GameSalad!

- Alex
  • zombiesdrulezombiesdrule Posts: 131PRO
    Thanks GS
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Posts: 2,033Member
    Wicked...looking forward to having a play around with this at the weekend.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    That's really great news, UB has always been my most desired function and now I have it.

However, as some others have already pointed, I'm confused on how images will be handled. Because we will need to account for 4 sets of images: iPad retina, iPad, iPhone retina, iPhone.

Even if we account for the fact that we could use the same images for non retina iPad and retina iPhones, we will still be left with 3 sets of images needed to properly run on all devices.

@SaladStraightShooter Could you please give us some more insight on this feature other than a thumbs up gif?

• RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    Yes, I also wonder if they will not publish any tutorial best techniques for UB
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member

That's really great news, UB has always been my most desired function and now I have it.

However, as some others have already pointed, I'm confused on how images will be handled. Because we will need to account for 4 sets of images: iPad retina, iPad, iPhone retina, iPhone.

Even if we account for the fact that we could use the same images for non retina iPad and retina iPhones, we will still be left with 3 sets of images needed to properly run on all devices.

@SaladStraightShooter Could you please give us some more insight on this feature other than a thumbs up gif?

Don't forget iPad Mini too
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 788Member, PRO
    Yes,
    @SaladStraightShooter
    Could You please give us a good tutorial about this?
    Thanks in advance.
    @beefy_clyro I didn't forget it, but since it basically has the same resolution as the non retina iPad I included it with them.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Posts: 2,867Member
    Can someone please explain in English what exactly universal binaries are in this context and what the advantages are? Thanks!
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited January 2013
    Rather than creating a whole new target for say, iPhone after creating one for iPad, you just create the one for iPad, adjusting sizing as needed, and ad hoc to devices to test, adding the appropriate screen shots and other information to the new publishing target page.

That's literally the whole demo.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• FINNBOGGFINNBOGG Posts: 1,809Member
    Ok so I dont make 2 apps in 1 and it checks what device and chooses scenes accordingly?
    @SaladStraightShooter Can you also answer my previous post on how images will be handled by this new system?

• Fal01Fal01 Posts: 460Member
    Has anyone tried making an ad hoc iPhone and iPhone legacy version from an iPad
    project?
    If you have, is it any different from when you select crop or letterbox?
    How does it look resized on the new iPhone?

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

• Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Posts: 646Member
    AWESOME!!!
    But in the latest GS-Version (Mac) ther's a huge bug with the keyboard behaviour!! Keyboard doesn't work in 0.10.1
    Please fix this!!
    ---
    Benjamin
  • carlblanchetcarlblanchet Posts: 755Member
    Awesome news! Thanks guys!
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Markontheiron - Try this: Create an app as though you were only creating it for iPad at a decent resolution. Upload it via universal binaries publishing target. Ad hoc.

There are no additional requirements for packing an app with images for each device...just design for one, images and all, and then ad hoc to get the best fit for all devices as needed.

...and leave my *.GIF alone. It's awesome.

@Benjamin_m5 - unless I'm mistaken there is a workaround for that bug. I'll see if I can get details and post about it later. There is a fix in QA, though.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member

@Markontheiron - Try this: Create an app as though you were only creating it for iPad at a decent resolution.

@SaladStraightShooter When you say decent resolution, do you mean iPad retina or standard?
    @beefy_clyro - depends entirely on you. I'd test with both and see how each behave in adhoc.

edited January 2013
    @SaladStraightShooter I'm not entirely satisfied by your answer. And I already tried your little test and it confirmed my suspicions.

If I design an iPad project using retina images and publish it using Universal Binaries and Resolution Independence is on, all I get is a build with my original image for retina iPads and a halved version of it that will surely look god on non retina iPads and retina iPhones.

My concern however is for non retina iPhones. With the nice system you made up you haven't considered them. And that pose a lot of performance problems for those devices.

So?

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    @MarkOnTheIron - I am a bit confused. Are you saying that your test nullified the Retina image gs created? Right now, retina creates the two images, which get used on the appropriate device. The Universal Binary setting shouldnt have any effect on that.

What have I missed?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    I could care less what others think of GS. This is my software and I'm sticking with it. Patience is a virtue after all. Thanx GS!
    edited January 2013
    @wpaten What you've missed, and what probably they have missed at GS HQ (I hope they have missed it because if it was intentional it would be a serious issue), is that if you create a UB build then non retina iPhones will have to use too big images and performance will be a little shitty.

To make a down to earth example:

BEFORE you would build an iPhone game and use a 512x512px image on a 256x256px actor and using Resolution Independence will create a downsized set of images that will result in retina iPhones to use the 512x512px image on the 256x256px actor and non retina iPhones to use the 256x256px image on the 256x256px actor.

BEFORE you would build an iPad game and use a 1024x1024px image on a 512x512px actor and using Resolution Independence will create a downsized set of images that will result in retina iPads to use the 1024x1024px image on the 512x512px actor and non retina iPads to use the 512x512px image on the 512x512px actor.

NOW if you want to build a UB game, since you will surely target also retina iPads, you will use a 1024x1024px image on a 512x512px actor. Using Resolution Independence will create as always downsized set of images that will result in retina iPads to use the 1024x1024px image, non retina iPads and retina iPhones to use the 512x512px image. And so far it's good but the problem is that non retina iPhones will also use the 512x512px image instead of the much more efficient 256x256px image.

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    edited January 2013
    @MarkOnTheIron - Ok I see what you mean here. Have you tested this on non retina devices? I have not as of yet, so just curious.

Edit - Actually no testing is really necessary. What you described is how gs handles retina images. I can see how this will be a problem for some people. It does not affect me or the games I create yet, because we do not take advantage of the Ipad retina Image size (2048). But for anyone else who wishes to start with the ipad setting, and uses Resolution Independence, yes this will be an issue for people with non retina devices.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Posts: 371Member
    although I get @MarkOnTheIron valid point, are we not almost at the point where resolution Independence for iPhone is not even relevant and can we expect that little tick box to disappear in the not to distant future and indeed for the iPad in due course?. or does it still have a place?
This discussion has been closed.