GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing iOS Universal Binaries

Comments

• dugisthekingdugistheking Posts: 83Member
    FYI - I just took my resolution Independance iPhone project - uploaded to UB instead of iPhone and works fine on iPad - but non retina . I selected letterbox - slight black bar at bottom - but perfectly playable . Obviously the better way from now on is to make all apps iPad resolution and submit to UB that way .
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    Im pretty sure even if your project is iPhone sized. As long as the final art files are all iPad retina sized you will be fine. Retina just cuts whatever image size you have in half. It doesn't care what platform you are going too.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• 921creative921creative Posts: 140Member, PRO
    This is pretty much all I needed to know!

• ChimoruChimoru Posts: 137Member, PRO
    This is awesome! Thanks GS team. I won't be using it however. I find that having an ipad version and an iphone version yields more downloads and more marketing potential as you have essentially the same app in two different charts getting even more reviews and more revenue. But maybe I'll try it out in the future.
  • dugisthekingdugistheking Posts: 83Member
    But what if u start with iPad size and want to have a UB working in iPhone without any additional actors for scene control ? With this just reduce the dimensions and work correctly ?
  • wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    Aquadel said:

This is awesome! Thanks GS team. I won't be using it however. I find that having an ipad version and an iphone version yields more downloads and more marketing potential as you have essentially the same app in two different charts getting even more reviews and more revenue. But maybe I'll try it out in the future.

I used to think the exact same thing as you do, until I found out that rankings in the itunes store are determined by keywords, ratings & # downloads. Splitting up your apps into iPhone & ipad just splits that up and makes you half as visible. I've been waiting for Universal Binaries forever, for that reason alone.
  • FINNBOGGFINNBOGG Posts: 1,809Member
    richcoy said:

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm starting a new project today and want to make sure I set this up right.

If I want to end up with a UB that handles Retina iPad all the way down to iPhone 4 I should start with an iPad project with Resolution Independence turned on. Correct? Then I simply need to follow the camera resizing rules we previously used to handle the difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5?

Rich

@richcoy - correct!

I would love a tutorial on what he said. Maybe a tutorial using a simple game like pachinko demo or something simple. Give us a visual to show the steps and differences. Use art instead of square actors. A tutorial to show us how to set up the project to cover Ipad to Iphone 4. Then how to take a step back and go from ipad to iphone 5.

But what if u start with iPad size and want to have a UB working in iPhone without any additional actors for scene control ? With this just reduce the dimensions and work correctly ?

It works just like overscan does for android stuff. It will scale the scene until either the width or height is filled out and crop the rest off the other dimension.

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,204Member, PRO
    here guys i posted this in the pro section but here it is again, if you want to design the biggest resolution and crop down you just become aware of what's being cut off, it may seem crazy how much actually is cut off, but when you watch TV you don't actually realize most of the content is already cropped. the only annoyance is i am constantly working on a 13 in laptop and the ipad screen size is a bit too big to work with, consider that there is no enlarging / scaling down of work area like illustrator does nor is there a full screen option that gets rid of the huge icons and menu items.

as for people complaining about the back-ward compatibility issue, you really have to consider having all those sets of images really increase the app size and loading time, there's been study showing the increase in loading/app size over the years because of universal build and lots of users complaining. you can't have the best of both world, we either pack light and move forward with a lighter and nimble app or strap the the giant fridge 4 car garage and the heavy couch with us and move slowly with a giant sized app. it would be ideal if GS have the resource to make yet another option to let us choose if we want to allow backward compatibility.. but, that cuts into development time and capital... so i'd say let's move on and let them create new and more important features such as android IAP, multi player or lua free.

just my humble opinion
    here is the portrait version. really bothers me how it crops centrally and not providing option to crop top or bottom for kindle fire (or enlarged so it's also hitting the top and bottom like every other resolution since everything else is side cropped. it's easier to design that way.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 224Member
    edited January 2013
    I put my ipad sized project into universal build with letterbox selected and loaded it onto my iphone, I got the black bars on the top and bottom of my screen which made me wonder if there is a way I can detect if iPhone is being used and use overscan to stretch the scene up without changing the width so nothing is cropped off?

Loose Moose Games | Facebook | Twitter

edited January 2013
    you are always gonna be cropping or letter boxing it'll never stretch. unless GS designed a stretch function.

well technically that's not entirely true, you can stretch an image itself with rules but it would be blurry.
  • zoopezoope Posts: 210Member
    Great stuff, Thanks
  • glyniusglynius Posts: 231Member
    Well that's very nice, but it seems that i have some problem, i try to publish my app, but it stops on APP SIGNING SETTINGS, it is downloaded from the publisher and the freezes. Anyone has a similar problem?
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    edited February 2013
    Glad to see the new update. Good stuff!

Without knowing the stats for iphone 3gs/3rd gen ipod usage it is impossible to say what is better. 3 sets of images and support 3gs. Or 2 sets of images and don't support 3gs.

It seems sensible to support all devices.

But I agree with @MarkontheIron that best option would be a choice on creating our own images.

Default1 = let GS handle your resized images.
    Default2 = only support retina iphones

Untick default1 and now we can include our own images.
    Untick default2 and now we can have 3 sets of images as @beefy_clyro suggested

For me that would be ideal. I also don't mind making my own duplicate images if that makes for a better looking game with smaller image sizes.

EDIT: @SaladStraightShooter to resolve any device data ignorance, the addition of Flurry as a 3rd party tool would be very welcome! It would be *very* useful in helping our game development.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• TheFrogeekTheFrogeek Posts: 97Member
    I have the same issue as glynius!

"i try to publish my app, but it stops on APP SIGNING SETTINGS, it is downloaded from the publisher and the freezes"
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,682Member
    So sounds like its pointless? If you build in iPad then select UB you will get black bars at the top and bottom of iphone?

Darren.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,076Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited February 2013
    Darren, I do not believe so. I think that's only for older devices if I understand currently. I've done testing on iPhone. I published my iPhone project and I selected UB. It works fine on an iPad - just a little cropping. Nothing you can't fix by moving some things over a couple pixels.
  • ElfizmElfizm Posts: 489Member
    That's good to hear because so far there have been mixed reviews about it so still sitting back and chilling till someone comes up with a video explaining it all in one simple easy way..... Hint hint ;)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,076Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited February 2013
    @Elfizm - ah! I got that one. ;) we're working on it, man. Just making sure we understand it ourselves. :D expect to see it Monday.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    You can easily view what happens via the viewer. Take an iPad resolution independent set up for your game, play it, change to iPhone or iPhone legacy from dropdown during play. It defaults to letterbox so change to crop (overscan) and see the difference. I then take a screen shot if there are cropped out elements (using overscan crop mode) and use that as reference to make adjustment. Not that hard.

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

• funkyj4everfunkyj4ever Posts: 74Member
    Sorry i don't understand this new feature. Can i now build 1 ipad app and post in to the store and that it also works on the iphone?
    edited February 2013
    Yes Universal means it will work on all idevices. But considerations must be made for iPhone screen size and since iPhone5 and 4 are different you must choose either to crop or letterbox when you publish.

You can view the effects of these settings in the viewer during playback, from there you can determine if all your elements (like menu items) fit within the safe area (if using cropped). You need to start your project from iPad size for this to work overall.

• creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    In industry I saw many people are using single images for their game and its easily adjust in iphone4, iPhone 5 & ipad. How can we do that with universal binaries?

Here is my thread for that
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/53480/universal-binaries-with-single-image-create-game-for-iphone4-iphone-5-ipad#latest
    Darren no black bars. If you build for iPad and select universal binaries you will end up with the top and bottom of the scene being cropped off.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    tenrdrmer said:

Darren no black bars. If you build for iPad and select universal binaries you will end up with the top and bottom of the scene being cropped off.

You do have the option to choose either cropping or black bars when building, i did both yesterday.

if you design for it, cropping is a much better choice, it looks so much better when going from ipad -> iPhone
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    To zoom in on a Mac use command key and mouse scroll wheel or command two finger swipe up and down to zoom in and out
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    tenrdrmer said:

I created my game for iPad and I have compiled using universal binaries and I have black bars ...
    Because you didn't choose cropped, and had letterbox set as the choice in the portal. Been mentioned a few times in this thread.

• glyniusglynius Posts: 231Member
    Well, according to the problem i was talking about the signing process, if i generate my app and then i click "click here" that pops up when its ready, it pauses to the signing process, but if i skip that click, and press to "sign app" next to "generate" it works fine. strange...
This discussion has been closed.