GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing iOS Universal Binaries

Comments

• anatomyofdreamsanatomyofdreams Posts: 723Member
    @glynius i was just about to write you. I found the exact same problem and came up with the exact same solution. Someone else just complained about that too. Hopefully it will get ironed out soon.
    I also hope someone has taken note of the potential bug or whatever it is. Its a strange one.
  • RPRP Posts: 1,990Member
    Universal Kewlness!
  • BluSpyderBluSpyder Posts: 129Member
    Really hoping for a in-depth tutorial on this. Not only is the publishing very confusing, but just building the app for multiple devices in one project file seems really unclear of what is recommended, especially with universal binaries now.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    @DevilDog yes we really need step by step tutorial for making universal app with using of ipad images.
  • ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Posts: 214Member, PRO
    I had a it of an idea to convert from an iPhone project to universal without having to redo all the graphics and just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts to add?

So say you have a resolution independent iphone game and you were to flick off the res independence and then publish to universal, would that then use the high res iphone graphics for every device, so they should still look pretty good on iPad right?

The only downside I can think of is the iphone 3's will be loading large images which might slow them down?

I'm planning on doing some tests this afternoon!
  • mrpacogpmrpacogp Posts: 400Member
    Anyone can test, when resize it to higher like from legacy iphone to iPad, if limits of scene are resized too?
    I have made my game on legacy (480/320) resize works fine, and i can play it on ipad and iphone 5 at all, but, when any actors move to the old limits of scene, its destroyed...(i have rules to resize scene)
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 224Member
    edited February 2013
    I made a portait iPad app and the scene sizes are all default 768 x 1024
    I then put an unlocked actor on every scene and used a rule where if screen.size.height = 480 then change camera.size.width to 868

Then in every actor I put a rule if screen.size.height = 480 then change self.position.x to self.position.x + 5

Now my app overscans perfectly on iPhone with no cropping. Still have to make a rule for iPhone 5 overscanning though.

Loose Moose Games | Facebook | Twitter

Hey @Braydon_SFX I followed your overscanning video here: which is awesome and worked perfectly. But one thing that I noticed is if you use a pause screen over the screen that you've modified the camera settings in, it resets the camera origin point to 0 0. Is there a work around for this?
    Thanks!
    Ok so i've done some tests with the universal build and thought i'd post my results:

Using retina sized iphone graphics in a legacy iphone sized project, but then flicking the resolution independence off so that when i publish to ipad it uses the iphone retina graphics for the ipad1 instead of a half sized version: works great when playing on any iPad (not as sharp as full ipad retina graphics on the ipad 3, but passable if you want to keep your project small in size and looks great on iPad 1) but then because resolution independence is off when you play on an iphone 3gs or similar it uses the iphone retina sized graphics and this really kills performance and makes it almost unusable.

What would be great is if I could keep my project resolution independent but then specify somewhere that that's only for iphone not for ipad, that way I can keep my project under 50mb and it will look good on every device.
    @ChirpinGames will you please upload short video and explained in detail?
  • ValanValan Posts: 405Member
    Has anyone played with text?

My project is an iPhone app that uses lots of dynamic text.

When I generate the UB the graphics look great but the text is blurred.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Valan

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 224Member
    @valan I'm making a math game that uses a lot of text so I have been playing around with it a bit.

I found that if you want to use GS text for a universal build you should start with an iPad sized project. the text on my iPhone project went blurry when scaled to my iPad non-retina.

So I had to convert my iphone project to iPad and spend a bit of time increasing the size of all the font but the end result made it worth it.

Loose Moose Games | Facebook | Twitter

• ValanValan Posts: 405Member
    edited February 2013
    @Kyukon
    Thanks.
    Thought so.
    Then for future UB we do iPad apps.

A bit strange but not deal breaking.

Let us know when your maths game is ready.

Cheers
    Valan

edited February 2013
    waiting for right video tutorial
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    Could GS give us a behavior to recognise a 3gs iphone/3rd gen ipod?

Then if we decide we want to support those devices *and* make use of a universal binary we could include a separate set of images manually.

3gs iphones can update to ios6. So they will be around for a couple more years as the budget iphone option...?

Still not seen any stats on how many people actually use the various i-devices though so would be interesting to know that.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,685Member
    edited February 2013
    Made an iPad build for 1 level from Dungeon to test.

Darren.
  • jdgouldjdgould Posts: 114Member, PRO
    Can't we just start with an iPad project and create a rule like the overscanning example in Braydon's video to detect an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4 and then just adjust the camera? For example, if Device Screen Width (Landscape Example) = 568 Change Scene Camera Size Height to XXX and Change Scene Camera Size Width to XXX?
  • POMPOM Posts: 2,599Member
    jdgould said:

Can't we just start with an iPad project and create a rule like the overscanning example in Braydon's video to detect an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4 and then just adjust the camera? For example, if Device Screen Width (Landscape Example) = 568 Change Scene Camera Size Height to XXX and Change Scene Camera Size Width to XXX?

Yes you can, but not if you have an actor that controls the camera in the scene, this actor will override the rule.

Roy.
  • crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FrancePosts: 519Member
    Universal Builds is SUPER. I did a test build of a game I am working on and put it on an iphone 5, an iphone 4 and an ipad mini and it works super well.

To make it work well:
    Convert the size of the game to web game.( its the same as iphone legacy but in bigger)
    Don't put any butons or information on the 4 sides of the screen (put only images or animations there) keep all the gameplay in the middle of the screen.
    Pubish it as a universal build and it works perfectly.
    edited February 2013
    We don't want to submit 3 seperate games for iphone 5, iphone 4 and below and iPad and make 3 builds so after some testing today were looking at other engines to develop our Viking game with until gs gets this sorted because we have simply lost patience and require a build once deploy to all like others have.

See the video above to see how bad this is with our current game in development. Going from iPad to iphone legacy and iphone 5 is worse than going from iphone legacy to iphone 5 and iPad.

Darren.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    @DeepBlueApps.com It doesn't seems so bad. Obviously you will need to make some little adjustments. What did you expect, a magic button that will do all the work for you? Even other engines don't have that.

In your example you will only have to create a rule to adjust the buttons position according to the screen size and another rule to fix the camera to better show your main actor.

edited February 2013

What did you expect, a magic button that will do all the work for you?

Actually 2 magic buttons..
    1) Stretch to fit.
    2) Device recognition.

Roy.
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member

See the video above to see how bad this is.

I was surprised to see that you were having trouble. So, I tested things out. I tried editing my Dual Controllers template... http://photics.com/gamesalad-template-dual-controllers ...to position the actor and the controllers dynamically on start-up. That way, it wouldn't matter the size of the screen. The actors would be positioned in relation to the edges.

At first, it wasn't working... not in the viewer anyway. I did something very simple, like aligning the fighter to the center of the screen...

Change self.Position.X to game.Screen.Size.Width/2
    and
    Change self.Position.Y to game.Screen.Size.Height/2

It worked in traditional iPhone landscape - the original setting - but didn't work as expected in other modes. So, I tried something else...

Change self.Position.X to scene.Camera.Size.Width /2
    and
    Change self.Position.Y to scene.Camera.Size.Height/2

It was a bit annoying to have to edit the prototype, but I was able to center the actor dynamically. But since the camera is centered, this didn't really help matters overall. I realized this when I tried to position the controllers dynamically. It didn't work.

I didn't test this with the hardware, but it is an issue regardless. I should be able to see what's going to happen from the viewer... and right now it's not looking too good.

I was battling with this issue while using different game development software. I'm thinking that I might not want the game to automatically adjust in size. Instead, I might want to change the layouts of the scene based on the device in use.

If iPhone 480... go to scene 1
    If iPhone 568... go to scene 2
    If iPad 1024... go to scene 3

...or something like that. Heh, but then I realized that this creates a tremendous amount of extra work... so how can I setup the scene dynamically? For scrolling games, this can be easier. But for fixed screen games, I basically have to imagine the edges being trimmed. It's annoying... and one of the many reasons why I left the app stores. There's just too much fragmentation.

Right now, I think I'm switching my focus to 16:9 Flash/HTML5 web publishing. Unfortunately, GameSalad doesn't do that.
    edited February 2013
    @P-O-M That would be too easy and GS is known to make things harder for us sometimes :)

1) If you stretch your game in most cases it will look bad. But you could do it by playing with some rules for the camera settings.
    2) You can't detect the exact device you're on, but you can easily detect if you're on an iPhone 4S and below, on an iPhone 5 or on an iPad by using a rule to detect the screen size.

edited February 2013
    Yeah I'm manipulating the camera a lot for this one for eg changing it to Y 80 from the off.

I'm also using 1 scenes for things like title, more games, level select etc all on one scene next to each other horizontally.

Having borders is not really an option for this one and crop is going to be a pain in the **** I think.

It's a tricky one and not your standard game I guess....I might continue to play but the tests today have left me a bit peed tbh :)

Darren.

@P-O-M That would be too easy :)

1) If you stretch your game in most cases it will look bad. But you could do it by playing with some rules for the camera settings.
    2) You can't detect the exact device you're on, but you can easily detect if you're on an iPhone 4S and below, on an iPhone 5 or on an iPad by using a rule to detect the screen size.

Yeah man sure there are always creative workarounds, but the feature is here and in my opinion its lacking some options, i dont see it as universal binaries, its simply an automatic overscan.

Roy.
    @P-O-M You're right, it could have been made better. Probably if they had at least made the chefs test it they could have come up with a better way.

But until they fix it, if ever, we are only left with creative workarounds. :)
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    finally its here.. thanks guys.., =D> keep it coming
  • GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Posts: 1,262Member, PRO
    edited February 2013
    I don't know why so many people love this feature so much. As DeepBlueApps pointed out in his vid, it's not that "awesome" as everyone says. And for me it doesn't work too, using it ends up horrible right now. It may work for several projects, but in my opinion it hasn't got the "omg :O" effect.

My current game is iPad portrait. If someone found a way to convert to iPhone or play with the cam, please let me know :)

Cheers Alex

www.guavegames.wordpress.com
    www.tranrock.wordpress.com

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    edited February 2013
    Well... it *is* a proper universal build as it counts as both an iphone and ipad game in Apple's system. I'm stating the obvious but that's the main thing really.

I'm fine with stretching. I prefer to have a game run full screen on all devices. (But without loosing any play area).

So with project made in 480x320, and with ipad selected as the build:

I'm changing the camera width to 480, camera height to 424 and changing the camera origin Y to -52 for iphone 5. That seems to be about right to avoid any cutoff or borders.

And then make any objects on non-scrolling layers higher by 52px.

Yet to add the settings for iphone 4.

So the game will be full screen on ipad, iphone5 and iphone4. But there will be no loss of play area. It will be stretching the width to fit the device size instead of cutting bits off.

I think lack of support for 3gs is the only possible issue with this update.
    Found some stats, although 7 months old and before iphone 5 came out.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/29/visualized-the-iphone-five-years-after-launch/

http://twotribes.com/message/ios-idevices-breakdown/

Looks like 3gs could be about 10% of the current iphone market?

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

This discussion has been closed.