GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Device support change coming in next release

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
Hello everyone,

In order to continue to bring you the best feature set possible and continue to introduce improvements in our software and your overall experience, we are deprecating support for the following device operating systems:

Support will be deprecated for:
  • iOS 4. (We will now only support iOS 5+)
  • Android 2.2–2.2.3 Froyo (API level 8) and lower. (We will now only support Android 2.3-2.3.2 Gingerbread (API level 9) and higher.
Please take this into consideration before upgrading if any of these older OS's are vital to you.

Cheers,
-SSS

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    thank for the info
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef

Hello everyone,

In order to continue to bring you the best feature set possible and continue to introduce improvements in our software and your overall experience, we are deprecating support for the following device operating systems:

• Android 2.2–2.2.3 Froyo (API level 8) and lower. (We will now only support Android 2.3-2.3.2 Gingerbread (API level 9) and higher.
    Please take this into consideration before upgrading if any of these older OS's are vital to you.

Cheers,
    -SSS
    So will we lose support for the original kindle fire/nook?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    edited March 2013

I'm fine with loosing support for iOS 4 - I would expect most devices wouldn't be running on that version anyway, especially because iOS 5 supports iPhone 3GS and up.

But loosing support for the original Kindle Fire is absolutely unacceptable. Can you confirm whether or not we can publish to the original Kindle Fire after the next GameSalad Creator update @SaladStraightShooter?

- Alex
    edited March 2013

Hello everyone,

Cheers,
    -SSS
    Actually, it looks like the original kindle fire runs a customized version of 2.3, so that should be fine I guess.

The original nook color ran 2.2, so that's out, but it's also been discontinued. The next nook tablet ran 2.3, so that's ok too.

All the current stuff is based on more recent builds.

This is good news, should really help with those stupid audio delays!
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,771Member
    I am not happy for iOS 4.3 support removed. If you can look at top grossing apps like Clash Of Clans, Candy Crush Saga, Subway Surfer, Angry Birds and many other popular titles providing iOS 4.3 support. Its not matter about how many user have iOS 4.3 if you think worldwide then its very big. if you start combining one by one water drops then it will become sea.

I am not happy for iOS 4.3 support removed. If you can look at top grossing apps like Clash Of Clans, Candy Crush Saga, Subway Surfer, Angry Birds and many other popular titles providing iOS 4.3 support. Its not matter about how many user have iOS 4.3 if you think worldwide then its very big. if you start combining one by one water drops then it will become sea.

This is dropping support for the original iPhone/iPod touch, iPhone 3G and 2nd gen iPod touch. Those devices can only really handle the most basic GS apps without significant optimization of your game which most people do not do. The last update for the OS was in July of 2011

I don't see it at a loss at all, it allows you to program for devices that have the power to run what you make. You don't get bad reviews for people using underpowered devices.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member

Hello everyone,

Cheers,
    -SSS
    Actually, it looks like the original kindle fire runs a customized version of 2.3, so that should be fine I guess.

The original nook color ran 2.2, so that's out, but it's also been discontinued. The next nook tablet ran 2.3, so that's ok too.

All the current stuff is based on more recent builds.

This is good news, should really help with those stupid audio delays!
    Well that's good to hear, as long as that modified version of Android will still be supported for Kindle Fire. Thanks for the clarification, @jonmulcahy.

- Alex
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member
    Yeah.. I think now is the time to deprecate 4.0. As long as we don't lose original Kindle support, but from what @jonmulcahy said, we wont.
    So it's all grins :D
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    iOS 4.3 was good while it lasted and the same goes for 5.1 but I do believe that users should upgrade their devices or if they can't, get a new one. I can't tell you how many times I have seen an iPad 2 running iOS 4.3 or even iPhone 4's for that matter. It annoys me too that they are refusing to upgrade and enjoy 200+ new features. I do agree on the matter that most older devices are (almost) incapable of running GS games. They just lack the needed RAM and CPU capacity to render or calculate the games. So from my stand point, its A-OK with me. :D (Maybe it will also force some people to un-jailbreak. ) :-bd
  • ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,513Member
    edited March 2013

iOS 4.3 was good while it lasted and the same goes for 5.1 but I do believe that users should upgrade their devices or if they can't, get a new one. I can't tell you how many times I have seen an iPad 2 running iOS 4.3 or even iPhone 4's for that matter. It annoys me too that they are refusing to upgrade and enjoy 200+ new features. I do agree on the matter that most older devices are (almost) incapable of running GS games. They just lack the needed RAM and CPU capacity to render or calculate the games. So from my stand point, its A-OK with me. :D (Maybe it will also force some people to un-jailbreak. ) :-bd

@Utveckla_Games
    Generally, devices become slower as they upgrade an OS-level, which may be the reason why people choose to stay on earlier OSs. Personally, I've kept my old 3GS and iPad 2 on iOS 5, as I have friends who upgraded those devices to iOS 6, and have experienced noticeable slowdowns (particularly in browsing iTunes and App Store)

Chakku
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    edited March 2013
    I run ios6 on my iPad 2 and haven't noticed any difference. As with all tech, the day always comes to move forward and this seems to be the day. onward!
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    @Chakku Really? My devices have sped up every time I upgrade! I have no lag on my browser or any app at all. Then again, I only have 23 apps.

@Chakku Really? My devices have sped up every time I upgrade! I have no lag on my browser or any app at all. Then again, I only have 23 apps.

Yep, the iPad 2 stays somewhat fast, but iPod 4 and 3GS (especially 3GS) are unbearably slow for me.
    (Although both devices have few MB of free space...)

Chakku
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Posts: 194Member, PRO
    Yay a new build is coming! I'm fine with the loss of support for these aging devices. any chance this is going to be the new native code engine we've been told is coming since last year?
    Cee3pee0 said:

Yay a new build is coming! I'm fine with the loss of support for these aging devices. any chance this is going to be the new native code engine we've been told is coming since last year?

@Cee3pee0
    I would think he would have said that, if that were the case ;)

Chakku
    Yep, this update appears to not have the new Mac UI or Native Engine. :(
    But hey, all in good time.
    - Thomas

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Any device that cannot update their OS to match a higher version than the lowest supported version will be deprecated by association.

If the version of Kindle you're referring to doesn't support a version higher than Android 2.2–2.2.3, it will not work.

Stay with 10.1 if you are reliant on this.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• zzap64zzap64 Posts: 405Member
    Kindle Fire 1st gen is Android 2.3.3. Which is good :)
    edited March 2013

Any device that cannot update their OS to match a higher version than the lowest supported version will be deprecated by association.

If the version of Kindle you're referring to doesn't support a version higher than Android 2.2–2.2.3, it will not work.

Stay with 10.1 if you are reliant on this.

Just to clarify, ALL GENERATIONS of Kindle Fire WILL work with the new version (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/specifications.html), but not this Nook Color- https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/product/nook-color-specs.html

Chakku

@SaladStraightShooter
    Thanks for letting us know this before the release :)
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Posts: 970Member
    @SSS
    Hate to be the one poppin the question again, but any news on the LUA- free Engine?

At the very least can you tell me if you have released it to the Sous yet? Atleast that gives the comforting thought that they are testing it themselves.
    @FallacyStudios - It's not out to Sous Chefs yet.
    However, there are some Ice Cap games that have the Native Engine already.
    - Thomas

@SnapFireStudios

Which makes it all the more curious. If it is good enough to publish their own games onto the markets with it, how come it isn't quite ready for the Sous to simply test it or at least be able to give a time frame on. I'm just a bit surprised that something that just isn't up to par yet and shouldn't be tested by even Sous yet, is fine and dandy to publish their own games with on to public markets to customers. Unless of course you make a habit of publishing things on faulty software. Just some things that make me scratch my noggin. I suppose there is some sort of reasoning behind this
    @FallacyStudios - I agree. However, they have to set it up to work automatically, as opposed to with these games they're probably having to fix it up and fix all of the engine bugs withen the game itself.

Hopefully it'll be ready soon :)
    - Thomas

@SnapFireStudios

Sounds plausible, although I would think it would be a good idea to have the Sous Testing out the development side on their different games to be able to get more information, but that is just my opinion.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus

@SSS
    Hate to be the one poppin the question again, but any news on the LUA- free Engine?

Line cooks don't have the native code, but they'll soon have some of the first-phase to test for Creator.

This next release (0.10.2) includes several optimizations found through the research of Native code and are part of the overall engine optimization - so, in effect, those are news for the native engine, though not a "Arrives on X date", as much as I'd like to say that.

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member

@SSS

Line cooks don't have the native code, but they'll soon have some of the first-phase to test for Creator.

This next release (0.10.2) includes several optimizations found through the research of Native code and are part of the overall engine optimization - so, in effect, those are news for the native engine, though not a "Arrives on X date", as much as I'd like to say that.
    Sounds good. Looking forward to the optimisations.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

@SaladStraightShooter - Nice! I just thought of something: Is the engine integrated with the creator or just applied afterwards? If the first, then how are you going to merge this with the Mac UI, assuming that you are already working on the UI? I thought the UI was coming first?
    - Thomas

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    This is very nice to hear. I personally have not bothered with second Gen device support for some time now but it will be nice to ensure those devices do not get my builds anyways.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    Well to move ahead.. u need to let a few things go and i am glad GS is taking that step. Looking forward to engine optimisations ... hopefully they are progressive .. :P
  • lukejnrlukejnr Posts: 63Member
    @SaladStraightShooter not sure if I missed the expected release date in threads, but time frame for the public release of 10.2. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.