GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.2 Beta

Comments

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    edited March 2013
    Where do you see white blocks? In viewer or In adhoc?

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

• jamies15-3jamies15-3 Posts: 94Member
    Hymloe said:

FYI, this may be of interest.

I just installed 0.10.1 again, and tried opening the project that I had already saved in 0.10.2.

It loaded up fine in 0.10.1, and the levels work again.

So it's interesting that a file saved in 0.10.2 can still be opened again in 0.10.1, and that even once it's been saved in 0.10.2 (where the levels in my game are not loading), when opening it in 0.10.1 again, the project works fine as it did before.

Which makes me think that there is no information getting lost of corrupted, but rather, the 0.10.2 viewer system is simply busted in some way.

@Hymole , yeah I did the same and works again, nm just slight teething problems with 0.10.2.
  • ashtmjashtmj Posts: 405Member, PRO
    @SingleSparq adhoc, but it was only on the first start up. I rebooted and all the graphics loaded in. I'll upload another build shortly, maybe (hopefully) it was just a one time thing. also fixed first table bug, it was just a matter of reordering the firing of rules within the actor

everything is definitely running smoother :) I'm sure I'll have to make changes here and there due to the changes made to the engine, but its worth it for these improved load-times! thanks GS team
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member
    So files saved in 10.2 can stilk be opened in 10.2...?
    Hm.
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

edited March 2013

Well.. I hate to be a downer, but I was kind of hoping for at least one real feature other than MobClix. Which, don't get me wrong, I am really excited about, but it seems like it's been awhile just for that.

I think a really good idea would be for SSS to make a thread in which he explains the process of how the creator gets updated, fully. Because we always make these assumptions such as "I don't see why that couldn't be added in a day or two, as opposed to weeks", but maybe we're missing something.

I know there is QA, and I know that @%&;$ happens. But I feel like when the updates take this long and there are 6 engineers working on it.. there has to be something else holding it up.

Again, I'm excited about MobClix, but I think the above or something like it would be very beneficial.

- Thomas

So 8 agrees later, @saladstraightshooter, do you think that you could provide us with some insight on how the development process works? And possibly how the QA system works, seeing as the level of bugs that made it through for this release?

Thanks,
    - Thomas

@ashtmj great, one thing case you didn't do this, always delete your adhoc when installing a new one. I find updating an adhoc tends to be more prone to issues.

• DanielDoeDanielDoe Posts: 307Member
    ashtmj said:

@SingleSparq adhoc, but it was only on the first start up. I rebooted and all the graphics loaded in.

I had the same problem, so that can be an issue. If our clients will see the white blocks for the first time they run the game it can cause problems.

• HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    Today is a bad day. I am really struggling here.

It's 3 in the morning, and I've got nothing done.

Must remember to never trust Game Salad updates, I should have learnt this lesson. What a fool. Never update without knowing the full list of everything that's gone wrong in the latest version.
  • ChimoruChimoru Posts: 137Member, PRO
    edited March 2013
    @StraightSaladShooter It's not just table values in the expression editor. The expression editor is broken in the new update.

I tested this numerous times, even with a new project:

1.Create an attribute and try to edit it in the expression editor via a change attribute, interpolate, constrain, etc.

2. Using the expression editor enough times eventually makes whatever was in the editor turn into plain text. (i.e. just opening it and clicking the green check mark numerous times)

3. Then REALLY weird stuff starts happening: you can't name new attributes you've made, and you can't input values into any attributes.

Like I said, I tested this numerous times with new projects and old ones to make sure it was due to the update.
  • Dazza006Dazza006 Posts: 248Member
    Hymloe said:

Today is a bad day. I am really struggling here.

It's 3 in the morning, and I've got nothing done.

Must remember to never trust Game Salad updates, I should have learnt this lesson. What a fool. Never update without knowing the full list of everything that's gone wrong in the latest version.

I feel your pain.
    I have learnt to never rush in and update GS from previous updates, thats why I won't be updating yet. ;)
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 788Member, PRO
    edited March 2013
    Hi, with this update the Mac 2.31 error now has been fixed, i upload 2 games today; i never used the tables in my games, and i saw that you have a errors only with table expressions so i shouldn't have any problem?
    I've tried to roll back to 0.10.0, which worked fine except that I cannot get the iOS Viewer 0.10.0 working! It will not rotate!

To get the new version of Game Salad I had to update to OSX 10.7.5, so I could install XCode 4.6.1 which has iOS SDK 6.1, so I could install the Game Salad iOS Viewer 0.10.2.

Now that I've done all that, I find that the Creator has big problems, and when I try to delete the iOS Viewer and install 0.10.0 instead, the viewer is not behaving properly.

So a further warning, if you're on 0.10.0 now, and you're reasonably happy there, DO NOT UPGRADE, because it may be impossible, or close to impossible to get back to a working version of 0.10.0.

This is a nightmare. I've got two different projects with people waiting to see progress, one of which should be submission. And I can't do a thing.
  • MPCavMPCav Posts: 81Member, BASIC
    @StraightSaladShooter just to be clear, SpaceOff was written before tables were implemented, so these are not the cause of the issues that I am experiencing. This game appears to load forever.

Free Quiz does use tables however, and only uses 1 very wide scene and a camera that pans between different screen positions so to get from the front end and then into the game does not require a load at all.

This suggests that the problems I am having are actually completely different issues.
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 788Member, PRO
    edited March 2013
    @Hymloe
    yes, but i must update with 10.2 because i've the 2.31 error for my MAC games.
    and i have the 10.7.5 Lion OSX and i can use all versions of Creators i have 4 version installed...i think the behavior problem affected only the game with tables...but i don't have any problem with 10.2 because i don't use tables
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Hymloe - Send me the link to your game via your publishing portfolio so I can pass it by QA to verify the issues you're encountering.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @All -

Something else to consider (though it may only affect a small pool of people) - if you utilized the Open Url behavior and utilized the (false) expression button inside it, that was remove in this release and might therefore cause issue.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Note on the sound issue:
    Seems the problem persists even with a mono file import. Although playing the new mono file in the GS sounded good, playback on device still had the doubling effect. Tried a few things but no rhyme or reason for it.

• RubiWorksRubiWorks Posts: 130Member
    Congratulations about effort of update Gamesalad often!! ;)
    @pinkio75

I definitely wouldn't upgrade right now, unless your project is very simple, perhaps.

That being said, I think you can roll back to using 0.10.1 quite easily, if 0.10.2 doesn't work out for you.

I've finally got 0.10.0 working fully for me again. Think I'll stick with that for awhile, as I'm finding that Overscan and Letterbox modes both don't work properly for me, and I'm not sure if you can bypass them at all, and just dictate the screen resolution using behaviours, as in 0.10.0.

Hopefully 0.10.2 (or a quick 0.10.3?) will become useable in the next week or so, and I suppose I could try again once it's settled down.

All the best everyone.

PS: Thanks @SaladStraightShooter, I'll send you the link to my project to help find the causes of some of the problems.
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Posts: 367Member
    Thanks Gamesalad, the update is working fine with both of my current projects.
    However, even after installing the newest iOS viewer through xcode without any issues, I keep getting "Gamesalad viewer update required" message when trying to install builds to my devices.
    @8bitninja Is there a chance that you're opening your projects in the wrong version of Game Salad? If you're running multiple versions, maybe your projects are still being associated with an older version?

If you run an older version of Game Salad with a NEWER version of the Viewer, it'll still say to "upgrade your viewer", even thought it IS newer. If there's a mismatch between versions, it'll say to upgrade your viewer. But maybe you're actually using an older version of the Creator by accident??

Just a thought! Might be way off. :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef

I've got some weird errors in my game in 10.2 that works fine in 10.1. Some could be related to strange code, but a real strange one is that after I left preview the music kept playing!.

I started a game, manually switched scenes by clicking on the bar across the bottom and then hit the home button, but this ONLY happens when I try to view a single scene that has the logic that is freaking out in 10.2.

works fine in 10.1

time to put on the debugger's hat!

ok, i traced it down to a single rule, and it looks like maybe a bug was introduced when you have a tablecellvalue formula within a tablecellvalue formula.

I have a formula that looks like this:

If I take out the nested tableCellValue formula it works fine, if I put it back in, it crashes.
    just sent my project to QA to look at.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    8bitninja said:

Thanks Gamesalad, the update is working fine with both of my current projects.
    However, even after installing the newest iOS viewer through xcode without any issues, I keep getting "Gamesalad viewer update required" message when trying to install builds to my devices.

make sure you uninstall the viewer before upgrading, that seems to always work best.
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Posts: 367Member
    @Hymloe I went ahead and uninstalled gamesalad completely and then reinstalled but Viewer issue still happing.

@jonmulcahy I also tried your method but still not working.

Thanks anyways guys.
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member

Note on the sound issue:
    Seems the problem persists even with a mono file import. Although playing the new mono file in the GS sounded good, playback on device still had the doubling effect. Tried a few things but no rhyme or reason for it.

This really is a very strange issue. Based on what I'm seeing with load times between different scenes it appears creator is handling RAM a little differently. Holding some of the information longer than it used to before garbage collection occurs. This is working out very nicely for me for the most part, but I am also experiencing a doubled audio effect on SOME of my actors SOMETIMES. What's interesting is that they are all based on the same code, just in different scenes. Sometimes the doubling only occurs once and then the next time the sound is triggered the audio is fine. Sometimes it doubles multiple times. I am not able to test it any more thoroughly since the code is the same for all of these actors I'm referring to. My guess is there is something going on with how the audio resources and garbage collection are working together within the scenes. Very, very strange.

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

Do you have to be on the latest version of GS to publish? You don't right?
    - Thomas

• PimanPiman Posts: 161Member
    edited March 2013
    Does the GameSalad team work with unit tests? From the bugs and problems in each release, it doesn't seem like it.

• RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member

Do you have to be on the latest version of GS to publish? You don't right?
    - Thomas

I have published this morning with version 0.10.1, without any problems.
  • jorkosjorkos Posts: 352Member, PRO
    There is a major bug in this release, to be clear. You cannot use a table.cell reference that includes a variable for either the row or column. This is a major problem for any kind of advanced table use. I'm very surprised this could get through the QA process.....or was the plan to deprecate this feature? I am excited about optimizations but I cannot use the new creator with this bug.
This discussion has been closed.