GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.2 Beta

Comments

• ashtmjashtmj Posts: 405Member, PRO
    @jorkos

I think in some cases rules are just working a bit differently now.
    I have a actor which is constrained to another via tables and it looked like so

Constrain
    self.position X

to

game.MAP X +tableCellValue( game.Table map icon locations , self.where I go on the Map ,1)

and another rule

change self.where I go on the Map to game.map.icon#

at first this wasn't working, but all I had to do was put the change rule above the constrain rule and that fixed it! in theory it shouldn't have mattered, as it's containing, so once the change rule was fired it shouldn't moved into place. but for whatever reason the change rule needed to go first (makes more sense this way anyhow, but it didn't matter in version 10.1)

this might not be the case with all the table rules, but for some it might just be simple readjustments like that :)
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    If you are encountering issues with the iOS viewer:

Please assure you have upgraded to the latest Xcode. (a new version came out today) In addition to this, be sure you are using the 10.2 viewer with the 10.2 Creator. They are not forwards/backwards compatible.

We have tested internally and have found no real issue with the iOS viewer to speak of.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    Yes, I've mentioned this, that the logic in some cases needs to be reversed. If you know where the triggering issue is occurring try moving the rules order around and see if it works. Also I had a timer event and turning off the 'run to completion' fixed that issue.

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

• artfishartfish Posts: 369Member, PRO
    Just curious if I'm the only one who had an issue that worked in the creator preview, but not in the viewer or build?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    edited March 2013
    @jonmulcahey that is what I am seeing too. except I belive it's any expression inside a table cell value
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef

@jonmulcahey that is what I am seeing too.

just heard back from QA, in my case it wasn't a bug, but a fix in the system, and I think this could be a problem for a lot of folks.

in versions prior to 10.1, when getting a table value gamesalad allowed you to use an attribute that could have a value of 0. since in a spreadsheet there are no column or rows with a value of 0, this was a problem.

in version 10.2 this bug was fixed, so if in any of your table expressions an attribute has a value of zero, it probably is breaking the code.

• TesseractEngineTesseractEngine Posts: 180Member

just heard back from QA, in my case it wasn't a bug, but a fix in the system, and I think this could be a problem for a lot of folks.

[...]

if in any of your table expressions an attribute has a value of zero, it probably is breaking the code.
    Yes. That could well be a problem.

Quire Graphics - Graphics for Games

• WingmanappsWingmanapps Posts: 458Member

in versions prior to 10.1, when getting a table value gamesalad allowed you to use an attribute that could have a value of 0. since in a spreadsheet there are no column or rows with a value of 0, this was a problem.

in version 10.2 this bug was fixed, so if in any of your table expressions an attribute has a value of zero, it probably is breaking the code.

Instead of the 0 value - what should put in instead, just leave it blank?

People that are grounded don't hang on trees

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member

Well that is rather annoying for some of my logic.. hm.
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• jorkosjorkos Posts: 352Member, PRO
    This needs to be clarified in the release notes......this change will break almost all advanced usage of tables. Can we please get an explanation of how Table.cell reference works now. Please!!
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Snapfirestudios - it was a bug and now it's fixed. Isn't that a good thing? ;)

This is something I've said in the past, but I think it bears repeating based on some of the responses we've received since launch. This isn't to say that there may not be an issue or two - QA is still investigating edge cases - but several of the problems hitting support have been determined not to be bugs.

This is what sometimes happens - it happens in all development, even ours:

There is a bug. It's not crippling, but its' there. So you (or someone else) implement a workaround. Time passes. The bug is fixed, causing your old logic to effectively break. But it's been so long you don't remember implementing a workaround and now it appears your game is broken.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• MSEagle2MSEagle2 Posts: 98Member, PRO
    edited March 2013

I don't have this problem, but wouldn't this be a fix- use max(1,yourtablestuffhere)?
  • natzuurnatzuur Posts: 304Member

So I would need to have all attributes related to table col/rows set to 1 or greater if im understanding this right? Well I suppose that should be fine as long as the calculations kick in quickly enough to change them.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,377Member, Sous Chef
    edited March 2013
    natzuur said:

So I would need to have all attributes related to table col/rows set to 1 or greater if im understanding this right? Well I suppose that should be fine as long as the calculations kick in quickly enough to change them.
    Yes.

You can't reference a row or column that doesn't exist.

We all got used to it not working, me included.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Posts: 970Member
    EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you very much GS. Once LUA free is out I'm a happy duck. Excellent choice in going with Mobclix as they are probably my most preferred ad network to deal with on both iOS and Android.

That said, a warning to everyone using Mobclix, I do like them and they do pay out probably the best out of all my ad networks I use, but they are rather slow with payments at times. It is 90 days from the end of the month is when they pay. My payment that should have come in March is already 20 days late, and last year they were 3 months!!! behind on payments. Supposedly that is fixed, but them being late in March isn't really reinforcing my faith in them after last years fiasco.

Still... I'm glad GS went with them and whenever Mobclix gets their payments ironed out and on time they really are one of the better options out there. Hopefully now that they are working with GS and getting these developers they will start being more responsible with payments.
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Posts: 98Member, PRO
    hmm...Is any one else having problems with constraining table values? my app freezes if it updates 4 different constraints more than a few times per second. Confirmed this by switching it to a change attribute that changes at a rate of about 15-20 times per second and doesn't freeze/crash - which isn't good enough.
    Hmmm all my table values are preset as the table is already established and I'm just addressing info in them.
    So I cannot use the value 0 in my tables anywhere?

Right now I have all of mine set up with 0s and 1s.
    - Thomas

• SlowboySlowboy Posts: 329Member, PRO
    Hey Snap, I think they mean you can't address a row or column as a zero, don't they?
    Quote : 'since in a spreadsheet there are no column or rows with a value of 0'
    eg, if you have a formula that would 'eventually' pick a row from 1 to 10, you couldn't leave it hanging around looking at row 0 until you needed it.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    @snapfirestudios No what I think they mean is when your calling a cell at row 0 col 0 - there is no 0 row or column anymore - it would be row 1 col 1 - nothing to do with what's in the cell

Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

I came here looking for Tables discussions, but no one appears to have noticed that the Open URL behaviour no longer has the expressions button?!? Really? Has this actually been removed? Can anyone confirm please?

I had loads of URLs opening from a table, so used expressions in the Open URL Rule to choose which URL to pick from the table.

What with it not working correctly on Android anyway, and apparently broke on the latest iOS release, this method has turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, which is a shame, because on paper it should save me hours. Instead it's cost me hours and left me with broken releases, which I was hoping this GS release would address. Instead, it appears to have removed the expressions completely, so I can't even use expressions, let alone expressions that call from a table?!

I mean, if this is the case, then I can live with it - I'll just go back to doing things the long way round, but it would be nice to have conformation either way?
    Chrrrrs
    Wayne
    @Slowboy - Could you elaborate please?
    Slowboy said:

Hey Snap, I think they mean you can't address a row or column as a zero, don't they?
    Quote : 'since in a spreadsheet there are no column or rows with a value of 0'
    eg, if you have a formula that would 'eventually' pick a row from 1 to 10, you couldn't leave it hanging around looking at row 0 until you needed it.

- Thomas

edited March 2013
    Yep my actors spawn and then based on location are assigned their self number. Even though that code executes before the table values are looked at it was hanging it up. How I fixed it was encapsulated the table code in a rule that says when self.number > 0 then do the code that looks for that attribute. works great!

Also, I never did think of that as a bug accessing zero and I don't think many others were so it's not really a bug we were aware of, but glad it got sorted out so quickly!
  • artfishartfish Posts: 369Member, PRO
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for contacting me support. ;)
    edited March 2013
    Hi Snap/Thomas, It looks like FryingBacon has found an 'unworkaround?!'
    To elaborate though - make a new table, or look at one of your existing tables....
    Columns and Rows both start at 1, yes? There is no Row 0, and there is no Column 0.
    So any code that was about to 'choose' a row or column that at some point in its calculations eluded that it might, or might not, try 'choosing' row or column 'zero', even if it never ever intended to finally 'choose' 'zero' - the very thought that it even had the audacity to consider that 'zero' was even an option is now enough of an insult to Machine Code in general that your app will be stopped in its tracks the very moment this callous and frankly ignorant insubordination is discovered. And rightfully so.
    Elaborate enough?!
  • jorkosjorkos Posts: 352Member, PRO

Yep my actors spawn and then based on location are assigned their self number. Even though that code executes before the table values are looked at it was hanging it up. How I fixed it was encapsulated the table code in a rule that says when self.number > 0 then do the code that looks for that attribute. works great!

Also, I never did think of that as a bug accessing zero and I don't think many others were so it's not really a bug we were aware of, but glad it got sorted out so quickly!

yup, this is the key step, the table.cell code can't be called until the value is above zero (before, you could call it while that value was being updated above zero....no longer)
  • wolfbirdgameswolfbirdgames Posts: 66Member
    edited March 2013
    Am I the only one with issue in this release? Like what is going on?!!! As soon as I opened a 10.1 file in 10.2, Actors are appearing where they should not, and attribute are not doing what they are supposed to do in some scenes. I was reluctant to update and this proves why. Now my submission has to wait again. ALso, when I preview a scene and music is playing even after I end the preview, THE MUSIC IS STILL PLAYING.
    :-/ ??
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    edited March 2013
    Piman said:

Does the GameSalad team work with unit tests? From the bugs and problems in each release, it doesn't seem like it.

I am inclined to grumble along with this sentiment.
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    jorkos said:

There is a major bug in this release, to be clear. You cannot use a table.cell reference that includes a variable for either the row or column. This is a major problem for any kind of advanced table use. I'm very surprised this could get through the QA process.....or was the plan to deprecate this feature? I am excited about optimizations but I cannot use the new creator with this bug.

Game Salad really needs to have a set of advanced projects that the QA department uses to test the latest version. They could have found these bugs, and had them fixed before releasing it into the wild.

I really don't think the testing department has proper projects to test with.

I'd love to get an indication that Game Salad actually has people in the company trying to use Game Salad itself to create advanced games, so that they can see first hand what needs improvement in the user experience, the feature set, and starts to deliver builds with solid quantifiable improvements to the core feature set with each release.

This discussion has been closed.