GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hotfix: Mac Creator 0.10.2a Beta

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited April 2013 in News from the Dev Team
Hello everyone,

We've investigated the issues raised by the community about the 10.2 release and we've implemented a number of corrections as set forth below. Also, we've included some performance data showing how the engine optimizations released as part of 10.2 have improved game engine performance.

Fixes

These fixes were identified as bugs and have been corrected:
  • Mobclix: [Android] - Changing from one banner scene to another banner scene crashes the game
    Android would crash when there were too many consecutive scene changes where the scene had a show banner behavior
  • Mobclix: Android: [Crash] Pause scene with banner ad triggered from a scene with banner ad
    Android games would crash if there was a Show Banner behavior on a pause Scene
  • Mobclix: Banners launch in inappropriate places on screen when banner is triggered while device is held in unsupported UIorientation
  • Android Manifest: GSPlayer has extraneous entries in the manifest for Live
    There was a permission that was left in the code for the engine that was only needed for the viewer. The build system has been updated to parse out this when compiling the final binaries for server deployment.

Issue identified as a "Best Practice" correction:

• Ad Hoc & Viewer: Real and Angle self attributes are not consistent
    As per Engineering - Display text issue can not be fix due to the way floating point numbers are stored. User needs to round to nearest whole number to display correctly

Issues identified as user facing / logic issues / adjustments:

• "I am getting a crash when I try to use the viewer" - can be corrected by removing the old viewer from your device, cleaning the Xcode viewer project for 0.10.2 and then reloading onto the device.
  • "I am getting a crash when I have a nested tableCellValue" - This is a crash as a result of a fix that users have been inadvertently exploiting. The new Lua interpreter is no longer forgiving of such issues and results in a crash if a user attempts to reference a game attribute set to zero, which is an invalid column/row.
  • "I am getting thick/echoing/doubled audio from my sound file." - Extensive testing and efforts to recreate this issue have been unsuccessful outside of the sound file provided by the users. Test cases included the provided sound file, in house sound files, file conversions to ogg, importing files that Creator converts to ogg, and saving the project in previous versions of Creator to test possible issues with saving incompatibility. QA has been unable to reproduce and are seeing no errors in console or output debug.
  • "My actors are broken/not appearing/Hud is messed up" - this has been proven to be associated with logic issues, particularly the nested table values as detailed above.
While our community has encountered issues with the fundamental changes in architecture we've previously discussed in the main release thread, we felt it appropriate to also highlight the gains that can be attributed to this release and the associated improvements brought online:

Engine Benchmark Data - Enhancements brought in 0.10.2

*Note : these benchmarks and improvements were a direct result of utilizing "Best Practices"

"Frames per second" is a key indicator of game and engine performance that directly influences player satisfaction. Moving from 10.1 to 10.2 showed an improvement in frame rates (that is, more frames per second displayed) on all devices. Importantly, we saw the most improvement on the Nook HD, an important client for Android development.

Improving game load times is also important. Looking specifically at the iPad 3, we can see where not only have load times gotten faster, but also that they are also more consistent across stages, making games feel more fluid and stable.

While not wholly inclusive of all the edge case issues received by support and QA, this covers the broader issues encountered or fixed. Testing will continue as new issues are received and identified.

Cheers,
The GameSalad Team

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• ORBZORBZ Posts: 1,303Member, PRO
    Does this fix the memory usage spike in 10.2 vs 10.1 ?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @Orbz - if you haven't already provided it to support, we need the following from you:
    • Your game project
    • The device you're using
    • The method or tool you are using to gauge memory usage
    There is a small increase noted due to the switch from floats to doubles within the engine, but this is not connected to a spike or massive increase in memory use.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Note that this is a binary rev - you only need republish/update your games to absorb the fixes.

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member
    edited April 2013
    Thanks so much for the Hotfix GS! I wish some of this information was included in the original posting however, as this would of cleared up some a lot of the confusion. Nevertheless, thank you. :)
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• PimanPiman Posts: 161Member
    Nice work!
  • natzuurnatzuur Posts: 304Member
    Thanks for this hotfix, glad to see some of the issues addressed. However, I like @ORBZ am still experiencing a significant increase in memory usage, which support has blamed as the culprit for crashes after receiving my project. Floats to doubles is certaintly an increase this time, but this isn't the single cause for the huge increase in memory usage, as i'm now using variables that are less intense and only saw a mild decrease in ram usage from over 100 attributes being changed. Memory dumps are now occuring at random times as well and build up of images into ram continues between scenes. The crashes happen on both ad hoc and viewer.
  • izamizam Posts: 482Member, PRO
    Thanks for this hot fix...I guess. I'm not sure but this 10.2 seems really buggy for android.

Here's what I got from the crash reports from google store:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.gamesalad.player.mobclix.MobclixBannerAdProvider.cleanupBanner(MobclixBannerAdProvider.java:40)
    at com.gamesalad.common.plugins.BannerAdManager$2.run(BannerAdManager.java:67)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:132)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4126)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:491)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:844)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:602)
    at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

and another similar one:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.gamesalad.player.mobclix.MobclixBannerAdProvider.cleanupBanner(MobclixBannerAdProvider.java:40)
    at com.gamesalad.common.plugins.BannerAdManager$2.run(BannerAdManager.java:67)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:618)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:123)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(SourceFile:351)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3820)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:538)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:969)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:727)
    at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member
    Any word on the blurry retina ipad icons coming out of Universal builds? Just tested it again via Ad Hoc and the Universal build icon is still blurry. The strictly iPad build is still nice and crisp.

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

• PBEmpirePBEmpire Posts: 676Member
    Thanks for the quick fix. But can we still use ios 4 support for updating games? It is troublesome to switch between creators to update and create new games.
  • 68kStudios68kStudios Posts: 219Member
    edited April 2013
    Anyone else has experienced this issue? It was solved with the fix?http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/55608/environment-sandbox-message

My adhoc app keep asking for the sandbox login, but It has no IAP or Game center features...

EDIT: ok, seems to be solved...
    @izam - it looks like you're getting the Mobclix crashes that were fixed in the hotfix. Update your game and it should resolve them.

• DanielDoeDanielDoe Posts: 307Member
    Where can we download 0.10.2a? It doesn't show up in GS Updates...
  • patapplepatapple Posts: 873Member
    @DanielDoe There is no new update, it is only in the backend of the servers ;)
    patapple said:

@DanielDoe There is no new update, it is only in the backend of the servers ;)

Oh, ok... I've just read that this is Mac Creator hotfix, not publishing servers...

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member

Note that this is a binary rev - you only need republish/update your games to absorb the fixes.

@DanielDoe :)
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• glyniusglynius Posts: 231Member
    so, it is fixed the way gamesalad publishes? correct?
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    @glynius
    If this update does not need a new upgrade creator
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    Wondering how people are getting on with the 0.10.2a publishing update?
    I'm sending out a game for testing at the moment.

2 people with ipad 2 have been fine with it.

One person on iphone 4s is saying it crashes on startup.

Hopefully the crashing is just some strange one-off with that device. But it's strange because the same person was able to play it as 0.10.1 fine. Then with 0.10.2 he said it crashed 3-4 times but was still able to play most of the time.

I'll see what happens after more people test. But I'll be uploading to Apple in a few days so will have to decide very soon whether to publish with 0.10.1 or 0.10.2a

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

i'm doing a test also now
    edited April 2013

One person on iphone 4s is saying it crashes on startup.

Hopefully the crashing is just some strange one-off with that device. But it's strange because the same person was able to play it as 0.10.1 fine. Then with 0.10.2 he said it crashed 3-4 times but was still able to play most of the time.

I'll see what happens after more people test. But I'll be uploading to Apple in a few days so will have to decide very soon whether to publish with 0.10.1 or 0.10.2a

That's memory issue for sure. My game crashes all the time when the memory usage passes 220MB (in 10.1 never reached 150). I'd prefer slower loadings than such memory increases....

• travislkeatontravislkeaton Posts: 12Member
    I'm having a lot of issues in the preview screen. Art not scaling to actor size when viewing at anything less than 100%. On various laptops that I've used the preview screen doesn't open up to its full size. It only cover's the top left of the screen and I can see the editor under the areas it isn't covering (which is like and inch on the bottom and right of the screen. This is keeping me from being able to test the game as I can't see all of the level. The preview screen size thing is only happening on laptops. Which doesn't make sense to me.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    @DanielDoe But the strange thing is someone on an iphone 4 has been playing the 0.10.2 version fine with no crashing.

Will see what another person with a 4s says tomorrow.

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

well...i also have a great problem, i was working since two weeks now for optimizing my app Bonsai Master Studio which is based on spawned actors, it was working just fine without any crashes....now it crashes when you paint some more actors, it crashes a lot!!! it seems that better frame is not always the best option...what is going on now?
  • PimanPiman Posts: 161Member
    Could anybody explain to me what the deal is with using real attributes for x,y coordinates? Apparently that is a bad idea or even problematic?
    My new game Opa, which is based on FPS because i have animated characters, runs 10 times better now. but on Bonsai Master i have major crashes.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    Not having float points is a real problem. I have no idea what expressions will cause a problem now. I am not touching 10.2 until @codewizard has gone through it and issues an update to creator. This float point change is a real problem as I see it. Having said that, I have faith that codewizard can sort it out in time, let's just hope his fire doesn't get blown out by GS corporate. My advice to GS corporate. When you hire a talent like that, get the hell out of his way and ride on his back to victory.
    let's wait, i am sure that the team will find the solution to all these problems.
    glynius said:

let's wait, i am sure that the team will find the solution to all these problems.

As I understand what SSS says there is no memory usage problem confirmed by GS team... so it can be a real problem. Most of people make small projects, so the problem doesn't appear but people with bigger projects have this crashes.
  • alfons-freirealfons-freire Posts: 1Member
    I have a lot of problems with this new version. :(
    I cant not change the variables (size, position, etc) direct. It's necessary to open the variable window. I have lost a lot of pages. Suddenly the logic didn't run well. I don't understand what it is happen, but we want to publish our first App and all these issues are very troublesome.
    Alfons
This discussion has been closed.