GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just cant get .m4a music file to play on windows os

johnhendyjohnhendy Posts: 10Member
I put this on the windows category but didn't get any real help. Its probably better here.

I can not get GS to play a .m4a file. I have used converters and tested the files and they work correctly. I have tried all sorts of suggestions that I have read on here and watched a number of GS videos. But, I just cant get it to work on my machine. I have imported the .m4a file and can see it, but it wont play. Yet outside of GS I can play the file no problem. I have been at this a day now, am I missing something. ogg/wav work fine. Has it got to be a file that originated from the mac platform, which means the converter I have is no good. But then it still plays on my windows machine. I use VLC media player. I'm using GS 0.10.00 with a basic license. GS offers the ability to load music and sound files, Sound files are mp3 ogg/wav etc, but they cannot be controlled with the music behaviors. It is the Music behavior and the .m4a file I would like working so I can control the music by using the Pause Music or Stop Music behaviors.

I should also point out that I am using Windows XP with SP3 2 Quad CPU 2.40 GHS and 3.25 GB of RAM.

Thanks

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,913Member
    Try deleting it an importing it again. Maybe something happened to it during import.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    I wonder if you need to install a codec to play M4A on Windows? Might need one. Dunno.

Try googling "windows m4a directshow decoder" and see if you can find something useful there.
    I think @codewizard might be right as if you're using VLC which is usually a brute force app for playing unsupported file types on either a Mac or Windows.
  • johnhendyjohnhendy Posts: 10Member
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I tried a few things but again with no luck. I installed QuickTime 7 as that has apples codecs installed and my music file played correctly inside QuickTime. When I ran GS I deleted the file and then reloaded it but there was still no music playing. I also installed DirectShow as suggested and again had no luck with the music file. It seems strange to me as to why GS doesn't play MP3 in the windows version. I have also read that QuickTime interprets the M4A files as mp4 files. Its just a change in the extension name. So by using the M4A format, its just causing unnecessary complications and additional installations on windows systems. Is there a procedure that we can all follow to get the Music up and running so I can use the music behaviours. I know I'm not the only one still using XP as an OS.
    Ah there is your issue. GS for windows is not designed to run on XP.
    Such a shame that, ;-( because I just got the m4a file to run in windows media player, which means XP SP3 can now interpret the file. Unfortunately as soon as I run the project it crashes because of the music file. Surely this is something that can be fixed, because everything else works on XP.
    I have to leave this comment, if you have decided to leave Windows XP by the way side you are loosing a potential 38% percent of the OS market see here http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0 If you need an XP tester, I would be more than happy to oblige.
    I have had numerous years testing software for the Utility Industry as well as the Media Industry on Macs and PC's. I have used Filemaker Pro and Fox Pro on the Macintosh and on the PC for many years. I am well aware of cross platform and compatibility issues. I believe GS will be a market breakthrough if it can combine all the OS's like Filemaker Pro has, to become a successful piece of software combining all the popular operating systems available. This takes time, but with the right people contributing, I have found success can be achieved for all.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    To get m4a playback to work you need a m4a directShow Filter. (QuickTime does not use direct show to playback m4a from what I remember).
    Thanks BlackCloakGS by using DirectShow FilterPack 5.1 and a bit of jiggery and pokery I managed to get the m4a files to run within GS and use the music behaviors too. So far its looking very good on Windows XP.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    @johnhendy glad to hear everything is working
  • thumbfrenzylabzthumbfrenzylabz Posts: 50Member, PRO
    I downloaded DirectShow FilterPack 5.1 and installed.... but it doesn't say which pack to install for playing .m4a files. So I installed all of them. It still doesn't play .m4a files in GameSalad. I installed BASS, CDDA, CDXA, and LAV. Each sepeartely. None of them allowed me to play .m4a files. This is frustrating. Perhaps I have to restart my computer to make it work. Hopefully my computer reboots after whatever files I just installed into my registry... lol
This discussion has been closed.