GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.3 Beta

Comments

• PBEmpirePBEmpire Posts: 676Member
    A few months back, quick updates and gamesalad just did not go well on the same line. Now the @codewizard effect is really starting to kick in.
    loving the quick updates! Keep up the good work!
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    Yeah, we've been burning the midnight oil on this (literally as it's currently midnight here). We need to run a few more tests in the morning to make sure it's all good. Then we'll push this out in a binary update.

More news in like 12 hours. Coders need sleep! :D
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAPosts: 621Member, PRO
    edited May 2013

Coders need sleep! :D

If that was the case we would have have no reason for the Fireworks to make us jump at 0200....
    (:| (:| (:| (:|
  • neomanneoman Posts: 813Member
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the update. I hope the UDID issue is fixed soon so we can upload our new apps to Apple. In anticipation of the new update ;-)
  • uelsimonuelsimon Posts: 3Member
    Anyone else having a problem with previewing on Android (USB)? Keeps telling me "GameSalad Creator Update Required" even when using 10.3.Beta. Confirm anyone? Thoughts?
  • dukie234dukie234 Posts: 12Member
    Wow it's now 0.10.3! And I'm still using 0.10.1! hahaha No issue with Apple, no crash so far and I think I'll wait for the GS team solved the 10.3 problem before completely update to 10.3.

Great Job GS Team! Cheers! <:-P
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    @codewizard @saladstraightshooter @gamesalad . Well truly speaking i was waiting for the weekly 'STATS of GS ' :P and seemingly i find that you guys got that bone to surprise.. (somehow every time :-w). Thanks for giving a boost to our livelihoods :> . Keep it coming.
  • izamizam Posts: 482Member, PRO
    This is what I got after using GS 10.3 generated, signed and tried to upload on Google PlayStore:

Upload failed
    You uploaded an APK that is signed with a different certificate to your previous APKs. You must use the same certificate. Your existing APKs are signed with the certificate(s) with fingerprint(s):
    [ SHA1: 70:5C:0F:19:6E:95:13:4C:70:9E:45:42:AA:86:0F:80:92:6A:91:32 ]
    and the certificate(s) used to sign the APK you uploaded have fingerprint(s):
    [ SHA1: 89:6E:19:09:2B:CB:3F:A9:02:55:16:BB:FD:2D:E5:2D:CE:F3:47:D0 ]

Will this information help you guys to get a hotfix out?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,904Member
    edited May 2013
    Just what I like to hear burning the midnight oil to fix an issue! My respect meter is off the scale! Now GS is in sync with it's developer base as we too burn lots of midnight oil as well so we get the sacrifice.
  • POMPOM Posts: 2,599Member
    Instruments report:
    GS 00.10.10 - 134MB usage
    GS 00.10.30 - 182MB usage
    :(

Roy.
  • DanielDoeDanielDoe Posts: 307Member
    POM said:

And where is 0.10.2? 0.10.3 had to improve memory usage in campare to 0.10.2 not to 0.10.1. As someone already said, you can't get shorter loading times without memory increase.
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member
    @codewizard
    Ran a couple of tests and things seem good. Thanks to the team for the hard work!

I also tested the blurry Universal Binary icon on retina iPads issue I reported previously, and it is still present in this new update.

Not to be a thorn in your side...

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

edited May 2013
    DanielDoe said:

POM said:

And where is 0.10.2? 0.10.3 had to improve memory usage in campare to 0.10.2 not to 0.10.1. As someone already said, you can't get shorter loading times without memory increase.
    I dont see it this way at all, first, 00.10.2 broke down all my games so I could not even run them to test RAM usage.
    But I disagree with saying 00.10.3 is an improvement.
    00.10.1, reasonable RAM usage.
    00.10.2, extra 80MB added (heard from users in the forums).
    00.10.3, 50MB subtracted, thats what I call a fix, not an improvement.

Also FPS stayed the same in my project in both 00.10.1 and 00.10.3.
    Either way, I hope from now on its a downhill for RAM usage in future builds.

Roy.
    Yes as has been explained the 10.2 LUA engine is much different than the 10.1 engine so one needs to compare apples with apples. The 10.3 engine is much better than the 10.2 engine. The major issue with 10.2 was how it's memory management was functioning. This is what was causing the crash issues. Remember this is just a fix to stabilize the software as basically they reverted to LUA's default memory allocation system. This current process is merely to stabilize the software. Then moving forward they will begin to address changes to better the software. I advise people to read ALL of @codewizard's posts as he has spoken as to this plan thoroughly. This isn't going to happen overnight and as someone said in another thread he is not Santa. We're just going to have to be patient. The constant threads of I want this and that clog the forum and should be instead posted in the thread @codewizard started for such feedback. I've been with GS for nearly 4 years and we all know what this software needs and if you haven't figured out that codewizard also knows what is needed read all his posts. Features are no good without stable software and you don't add to code that is not working properly it just makes finding the existing problems even harder. Be informed and be patient.
    @POM I posted my message before testing... After tests 0.10.3 doesn't work for my game (Emilly In Darkness) - just posted mail to GS Suppot... the RAM consumption is huge > 250MB. It's sad because you can't make "big" games like yours Twin Swords or mine on GS right now :( Of course with 0.10.1 everything works again.
    edited May 2013
    Converting games from 10.1 to 10.2 is an issue, I know this first hand as my game puck it could not convert so I rebuilt it in like seven days in 10.2 and the memory footprint went way from 250mb as a 10.1 project in 10.2 to 170 as a straight 10.2 project and with the (Edit(10.3) meant 10.2b to 130mb.) now with 10.3 my memory footprint is down to 100mb. I've been doing extensive testing and charting the mb across these builds and to really get full advantage you need to start with a 10.2 build and go forward as @codewizard is working 10.2 and forward for compatibility.

Converting games from 10.1 to 10.2 is an issue, I know this first hand as my game puck it could not convert so I rebuilt it in like seven days in 10.2 and the memory footprint went way from 250mb as a 10.1 project in 10.2 to 170 as a straight 10.2 project and with the new 10.3 to 130mb. I've been doing extensive testing and charting the mb across these builds and to really get full advantage you need to start with a 10.2 build and go forward as @codewizard is working 10.2 and forward for comparability.

Indeed going from 00.10.1 to 00.10.2 is breaking lots of games, but I don't think anything needs to be rebuild, if I was to rebuild my game from scratch in 00.10.2 nothing will be different, ill build the code just the same.. the logic is not the problem, everything works as expected, the problem is higher RAM usage for the same tasks as before.
    I know there going to be improvements in future builds, i'm just saying 00.10.3 is not an improvement, maybe simply a *stable* ground for whats to come.

Roy.
  • RUPASRUPAS Posts: 823Member
    @codewizard

I do not understand why these "improvements" break all games, all games crash because memory is incredibly high for devices such as an iPhone 4 for example.
    All I can talk to is my experience and you know @POM I'm a pretty good coder, I saw a difference in my 10.1 build and a native 10.2 build. Can't tell you why, I did refine my code a bit but my refinements are on a minimal scale as usually my code is pretty tight and efficient. One of the main reasons I rebuilt my game in 10.2 is because 10.1 has the bad memory allocation issues as well it just takes longer to show up. It took three passes through my game for it to crash and I sent it GS through their premium support and @codewizard looked at my game personally and found the issue was on their end which in part led to the 10.3 fixes. I don't disagree with you, I can only speak to my experience and testing.
    edited May 2013
    Lol hell yeah I know you are one of the GS's best! Thus I take everything you say very seriously and have interest in your findings.
    It's very strange to have to rebuilt a game because of an update, I wonder if @CodeWizard can give his insight on this.. Does rebuilding your game from scratch in the new version makes it run better then simply update your current project?!

Roy.
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Posts: 676Member
    Any idea if analytics feature is going to be implemented into gamesalad anytime soon? It would be nice to see which part of the app people are using most and which part is the least used.
    edited May 2013
    @Rupas They were crashing because of the way the memory management system in GS was working. If you look at your device crash logs you will probably see a BAD_ACESSS_EXE error this is when the memory allocation system tries to acess memory dedicated to iOS system functions or currently used memory and since the data has no where to go it returns a NULL which causes a crash. It's not so much the size of the memory footprint as that does cause issues but iOS will make more room for apps requiring more memory by quitting apps that are multitasking in the background. The real issue was GS apps trying to access memory it wasn't able to. This was explained in the start of this thread. Which is why they reverted to the default LUA memory management system. When they work out the bugs of their custom memory management system the memory footprint should go down.
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caPosts: 194Member

Just what I like to hear burning the midnight oil to fix an issue! My respect meter is off the scale! Now GS is in sync with it's developer base as we too burn lots of midnight oil as well so we get the sacrifice.

Yeah, even though the UDID issue is NOT resolved at this time, I gotta say that I am impressed with what I see happening over there at GameSalad. I LOVE that @CodeWizard is in here responding and keeping us informed. Being told that a hotfix is being put together for today (he said tomorrow yesterday :-) ), is really just awesome support! Cheers to the GameSalad team! Nice work guys!

Chris.
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    edited May 2013
    Ok guys i built my game with v 9.x and the functions were butter smooth compared to what it is in the 10.x series. Though I am happy that never before have i seen an update/fix so early.

The memory issue remains, but some features have improved. For example if you notice that the animate feature is no more building up RAM. M not using 'change image' every x seconds anymore. ( can @codewizard confirm if this is true?)

I guess we'll have to keep on a lookout for whats improved and what has not and stick to the practice of 'version locking'.

One of my projects made with 10.1 isn't working on 10.2 and 10.3. I still have the 10.1 creator and tools and the project is working fine in there, but i want mobclix for my project so i guess i'll have to rebuild.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    kinzua said:

Ok guys i built my game with v 9.x and the functions were butter smooth compared to what it is in the 10.x series. Though I am happy that never before have i seen an update/fix so early.

The memory issue remains, but some features have improved. For example if you notice that the animate feature is no more building up RAM. M not using 'change image' every x seconds anymore. ( can @codewizard confirm if this is true?)

I guess we'll have to keep on a lookout for whats improved and what has not and stick to the practice of 'version locking'.

One of my projects made with 10.1 isn't working on 10.2 and 10.3. I still have the 10.1 creator and tools and the project is working fine in there, but i want mobclix for my project so i guess i'll have to rebuild.

One thing to remember is the UUID fix is 10.3 only, so everything built prior will get rejected upon submission.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @PBEmpire - search "Analytics" via the forum search bar - there are a few recent discussions on that point but it isn't germane to the release thread. Feature requests should be discussed elsewhere to keep things less cluttered.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Just to be clear, you're going to see some pretty significant changes if you shift from 0.10.1 directly to 0.10.3, particularly if you never shifted to 0.10.2 in the first place.

0.10.2 introduced some very distinct architecture changes and fixes. 0.10.3 mostly addresses the memory increases from 0.10.2 and added additional optimizations to that existing pipeline.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@SaladStraightShooter so what should I do? Open my 0.10.1 project in 0.10.2 and then save as 0.10.2, then open 0.10.2 project in 0.10.3 and then create app? Does it really makes a difference opening 0.10.1 project directly in 0.10.3?
    And anyone can confirm that we can publish new games and updates only with 0.10.3 because of UDID fix in 0.10.3?
  • BBEnkBBEnk Posts: 1,764Member
    updated GS loaded up game I've been working on for about a year now and all worked just perfect in a ad-hoc build good job GS.