GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.3 Beta

Comments

• JanobeJanobe Posts: 46Member, PRO
    DanielDoe said:

And anyone can confirm that we can publish new games and updates only with 0.10.3 because of UDID fix in 0.10.3?

Confirmed! The problem with the UDID is with apple. Apple Rejected any app who has access to the UDID. And only with the 0.10.3 (and his hotfix :P) you dont have this issue.

Cheers.
  • neomanneoman Posts: 813Member
    @DanielDoe I tried to publish with 0.10.3 and was still getting "invalid binary" when I upload my app to Apple then an email with "Apps are not permitted to access the UDID and must not use the uniqueIdentifier method of UIDevice" So I don't think it is fixed yet.
  • neomanneoman Posts: 813Member
    @codewizard mentioned an update tomorrow ... Can you please confirm that the update will address the UDID issue ? Many Thanks ;-)
  • JanobeJanobe Posts: 46Member, PRO
    neoman said:

@codewizard mentioned an update tomorrow ... Can you please confirm that the update will address the UDID issue ? Many Thanks ;-)

Yes, the updated mentioned by @codewizard resolve the UDID problem.
    Now the version 0.10.3 without the (hotfix) has the problem.

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    DanielDoe said:

@SaladStraightShooter so what should I do? Open my 0.10.1 project in 0.10.2 and then save as 0.10.2, then open 0.10.2 project in 0.10.3 and then create app? Does it really makes a difference opening 0.10.1 project directly in 0.10.3?

I'm speaking mainly to devs who never upgraded to 0.10.2 at all. It would be a bit jarring to jump straight to 0.10.3 without that knowledge.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member

Yeah, we've been burning the midnight oil on this (literally as it's currently midnight here).

That's what I'm talking about! Keep up the great work @CodeWizard! I've got to say, I'm loving how both Creator and Binary improvements are coming much faster. That, with the added communication the weekly State of GameSalad posts provide, is giving me a good feeling on where GameSalad is headed.

DanielDoe said:

@SaladStraightShooter so what should I do? Open my 0.10.1 project in 0.10.2 and then save as 0.10.2, then open 0.10.2 project in 0.10.3 and then create app? Does it really makes a difference opening 0.10.1 project directly in 0.10.3?

I'm speaking mainly to devs who never upgraded to 0.10.2 at all. It would be a bit jarring to jump straight to 0.10.3 without that knowledge.
    Could you elaborate a little more on this @SaladStraightShooter? I've got a number of apps that were built prior to 10.1. What should my course of action be when editing these apps in the future? I downloaded the 10.2 release, but I'm also still running 10.1. Is there a best practice method I should apply when converting apps built with previous versions, up to and including 10.1, such as @DanielDoe mentioned?

- Alex
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    @DanielDoe I still can't publish to iOS. :(
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @osucowboy - it really depends entirely on your logic. 0.10.2's changes (see the release thread for more in-depth discussion on this) triggered apps built on faulty logic to have a multitude of problems. If you have tables with a null value, for example, your app may crash or behave oddly.

There are some best practice tips in the 0.10.2 release thread, discussed at length... but as each case is different, I unfortunately cannot offer specific redesign advice.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    All, we're putting the finishing touches on the UDID fix. There were two problems here:

1. We accidentally forgot to bring the changes into the branch where we build our releases.

2. Once we brought it in and did some testing, it crashed. Needed to spend a few hours working through those issues. We did that last night / early this morning.

Everything is looking good for a binary update this morning. We'll post again when this is live. Makes me sad that we said the fix was in when it wasn't. I'll make sure we do a better job on this in the future!
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    I'll be following up in PM with those folks that are still having extraordinary memory footprint issues with 0.10.3. I'll make sure we do another pass on those issues for an upcoming release. Thanks for your patience as we continue to lean up the engine!
    edited May 2013
    @osucowboy18
    You should be able to just open your game project in 0.10.3 and it "just works." No special upgrade path is required to my knowledge. Be aware though that games based on 0.10.3 use significantly more RAM than 0.10.1. This is a problem we're working hard to fix.

EDIT: @SaladStraightShooter makes a great point. Some logic changes between 0.10.1 and 0.10.2+ may break your games. Be on the lookout for those and be ready to fix them after an upgrade!
    @SaladStraightShooter, Ok, just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly with regard to updating from 10.1 and back to 10.3. I doubt I have many issues due to the fact that I try to keep my logic as bullet proof as possible.

- Alex
    @CodeWizard: Ok, I'll keep that it mind. Thanks for clarifying! Any ETA on this fix? I'm not in a huge rush or anything, but it would be nice to know whether this RAM issue is a short-term or long-term fix.
    "This fix" being memory footprint reduction? It's an ongoing effort. We're continuing to profile and optimize various aspects of the engine both for speed and size. Expect continuing improvements!
  • OskarDeveloperOskarDeveloper Posts: 533Member
    Awesome update! :)
  • natzuurnatzuur Posts: 304Member
    Yes there was a jump from 10.1 to 10.3 in memory usage, but if it's not crashing I dont see a problem. With 10.2 I saw an even greater jump from 10.1.

Our studios project is huge (500mb uncompressed) with well over 100 global attributes, plenty of scenes, complex math, constrains, tables, etc. I ran the game with xcode instruments and FPS at worst was averaging 40 fps on core animations, 60 FPS on 80% of scenes. Memory usage did spike fairly high (i the 200's on an ipad), but no low memory warnings were flagged as in 10.2, and the best part was memory management and clean up seemed to be running smooth and efficiently as you could see when it was kicking in via monitor, with minimal effect on fps, and no noticeable effect when playing.

Load times aren't lightning fast, but they don't seem to be as slow as 10.1 either. So we now have a somewhat compromised but certainly improved stable build, and this is being the base frame for future optimizations shows me that things are going in the right direction.
    Okay, we've pushed a binary fix for the UDID. It works as far as we can tell. Can someone out in the wild verify this for us?
    edited May 2013
    @CodeWizard I will. Generating now... Signing... Fireworks... Sending to the App Store... (This may take a moment, considering it is 40 MB), Received. Now we must wait and see. Aanndd Invalid Binary. Sorry @CodeWizard . :( (I'll try again)
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Posts: 4,630Member
    Not looking good for me:
    GS 0.10.3 stopped responding for the fifth time in a row now!
    Specs: MBP 2011 Intel i5 16GB ram, SSD
    Still got Invalid Binary after 2 more tries. Not looking good @CodeWizard . :(
    Oh my. "Top men are on the job"
    @CodeWizard Go get em! :)) \:D/ =D>
  • squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    +1 for invalid binary...
    @Utveckla_Games
    Can you copy / paste the precise error message you're getting?
    edited May 2013
    @CodeWizard Yup. I'll edit this post in a moment. This is all it says:
    edited May 2013
    @Utveckla_Games
    One more thing. The deployment dude told me to ask you to try again once more. We double-checked something and we "may" have have fixed it. Let me know.
    @CodeWizard Will do! (For the 5th time. :P )
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Posts: 542Member, PRO
    I have to say -- this is a big improvement from last year, when GS took, literally, months to fix a bug preventing from publishing to the Mac App Store. Maybe I'll give GS another look and renew my Pro subscription. Lately I've been working with Unity, but for certain projects GS is hard to beat.
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Posts: 334Member
    JustMe74 said:

I have to say -- this is a big improvement from last year, when GS took, literally, months to fix a bug preventing from publishing to the Mac App Store. Maybe I'll give GS another look and renew my Pro subscription. Lately I've been working with Unity, but for certain projects GS is hard to beat.

Yes, they're doing a great job! I'll be upgrading to Pro once my project is near complete. Keep up the good work GS team.